In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My new wood shed

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by saewoody, Oct 15, 2019.

1. saewoody

saewoody

It is the final stacking area, but I do have access to the back. I made sure of that just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. saewoody

saewoody

Glad you like the shed! I’m happy that there is a place where people appreciate it, and that it is not just my wife humoring me.

I hadn’t planned on the extra bay originally, but I figured why not use the existing roof. That section was quick, easy and cheap.

The posts are not in concrete. Most are buried about 40” give or take. I tamped the bottom of the holes, put some drainage stone in and tamped again, then put a little more stone in and then backfilled with dirt.

I had considered concrete but it was going to be another cost. Luckily a couple years ago “ground contact” pressure treated wood came back onto the market in my area (I don’t know how it is in the rest of the country). The old stuff was good and didn’t rot, the stuff over the last decade or so was pretty much worthless. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed with this newer version of GC PT Wood.

And the stone is at least 3-4” deep in most areas, maybe more. Where the original shed stood already had stone so that area is probably 6-8” deep now!

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Absolutely love it, awesome job and thanks so much for sharing.....!!!

4. BZOR

BZOR

That is an amazing shed! I am very jealous

5. saewoody

saewoody

I am hoping not. Without four walls and no floor I don’t believe it is considered a permanent structure. I kept the main structure (3 main bays) under 200 sq ft (198 sq ft; 22x9), so a building permit was not required. I’m sure the town would have preferred I pulled a zoning permit, but in my mind it is in the same place as the old shed (just significantly longer). If it becomes an issue, I suppose I will have to pay for the zoning permit and disconnect my 4th bay. That would only require a couple 4x4s. Hopefully nobody says anything. I know my neighbors won’t complain. I just comes down to whether someone in the town happens to see it and look into it.

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Very nice build. Great shed. You and your friend did an excellent job. Hope to get our new shed started soon. It won't be that nice, have the posts and PT lumber bought, already have the pallets and metal roofing...

7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

~cough cough~

Nice overhaul of your umm... existing shed

~cough cough~

8. saewoody

saewoody

Took some pics when I got home today. One of the rear of the shed and one with the doors open.

IMG_7199.JPG IMG_7198.JPG

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

It looks awesome! Great job.
    I asked about the span because I'm building a lean-to and a friend in the know told me I'd be fine with 6' too. My span is a bit longer.

11. billb3

billb3

Looks like sumac growing behind the shed. You live near a marsh ?

12. saewoody

saewoody

It’s funny you say that because I thought it was sumac too at first. But then my son pointed out that the leaves were the same as the trees in the neighbors back yard. He said that tree drops some kind of nut. He was well aware because he’s been mowing their lawn for 2-3 years. He believed they were walnuts. So having no idea what walnut leaves actually looked like I looked up walnut tree leaves. They appeared to match. And when I looked at the bark closer, it wasn’t like all the sumac we had around when I was growing up.

So I think they are walnut saplings. I can’t really let them get to big because they have sprouted up on a small bank behind the shed. But for now they provide a little something. I’m not really sure what that something is yet though.

13. Chaz

Chaz

Great woodshed.
    :yes:

That looks superb, and should last many years.

Anything over 144 sq ft requires a permit here.
    :doh:

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

but in 30 years it will be a highly valuable tree!:makeitrain"

15. mat60

mat60

Nice work on the wood shed.. Built to last.

16. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Very impressive saewoody , I love pics of woodsheds (and many others do too). You can stand back and gaze at it and be proud!

17. cnice_37

cnice_37

Great job on the build! Looks good but should function even better.

One day I'll do mine, one day...

18. Horkn

Horkn

The buried posts around here mean it's a building. So when I finally build mine, I'm not burying the posts, but rather build it with a floor, on concrete deck blocks. Then it's not a building that needs a permit, and can't be taxed. Yes it will cost more with more wood, for the floor, but it will be worth it.

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yep, that's black walnut saplings. I have plenty down here. If you decide to drop them, better spray the stumps ñdddd
    Sounds like the way I'm going to build our next big shed. 4" solid cap block, PT 4x4, fasten big pallets on that. I started the thread "wood shed floor" with pics of the 2 huge pallets we got,

20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Great build! I like the center bay storage concept. Sliders rather than swing doors was the right way to go. The actual door construction looks very nice!