In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tired 029

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by ABOrman, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ABOrman

ABOrman

I have a late 029 right before the 290, but she is getting tired. I have been looking and for the same cost I can swap it over to a 360.
    Adding almost 40cc. Has anyone done this swap?
    Might do a little porting on the transfers while it’s apart. It has served me for 20 years kinda sentimental but it’s eithe that or save and save to replace it.. thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

029/290- 56cc
    039/390- 64cc

Stihl MS360- 62cc (ish) pro saw design.

Do you mean trade in the saw? Most dealers won’t give ya much.

If it were mine I would go through the saw and possibly replace rings if nothing else is worn or scored.

3. ABOrman

ABOrman

Was talking about 390 jug and piston swap. Same chassis, bigger displacement. More power.same price as 029 parts.

farmer steve, M2theB and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. huskihl

huskihl

T.Jeff Veal has one that got upgraded and seems to like it

5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Here is ours...Stock 029

after huskihl worked his magic...

And it pulling 25" bar...

With 20" bar...

I run a 20" on it now or my bow, since we have our XS362 back that huskihl did. It runs a 25" and 28" bar now.

6. ABOrman

ABOrman

Huskihl and TJeff thank you I think I’ll be upgrading the ol’ girl!

7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good luck on the rebuild. Show us some pics when you are done. Are you doing the work yourself?

farmer steve, M2theB and ABOrman like this.
  8. ABOrman

ABOrman

Yes I will be doing it myself, I have to save up a few pennies lol. I’d like to go with the nikasil mirkle kit I think. Maybe the hyway..... I’ve done several dirt bikes when I was younger lol shouldn’t be too bad lol

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Kevin Lavanway (huskihl) did both of ours. It has big bore cyclinder, Cross pop up piston, Caber rings, ported and MM. I love it.

10. ABOrman

ABOrman

Sweet but he is probably no where near me lol

Really like your Meyer lift mod! I have to rethink how I do everything to do with woodcutting, got hurt 4 yrs ag and am now just getting able to do some again. But the lifting is dome for me.

11. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

He lives around the corner from you in Michigan. I don't have the Meyer lift. We use Kubota tractor and FEL. We usually bring trees home in log form, then buck to whatever length is needed.

12. M2theB

M2theB

D936D051-E629-4792-B67E-1BD3B0F64B57.jpeg
    That’s one of my next projects, converting this 029 Super
    HL Supply had a very specific Deal of the Day last week on 029/290. 039/390 parts last week, so it pushed me in the direction sooner.
    Not sure when I’ll start it.
    Let us know what you decided and send pics!

13. bigfrank

bigfrank

I have an 029 super that I will be doi g a big Bird kit on also. Voi g to watch this thread to see how things go.

14. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

What is wrong with it, why do you say it is tired? Have you done a compression test? Have you pulled the muffler and looked at the cylinder and piston?

15. ABOrman

ABOrman

20 years never apart, new carb and tune. Don’t pull like it should. Figured it’s time to freshen it up

Wood always heats you twice, unless you rehandle like I do then it’s four or five times!

T.Jeff Veal and M2theB like this.
  16. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

If one of these saw are properly taken care of, a homeowner will not wear one out. If it cranks hard, pull the recoil assembly off. Most of these saws only came with one pawl. It may be time to rebuild it and put two pawls in it. While the recoil is off grab the flywheel and see if there is any up and down play or side to side play. Then pull the muffler and check the piston and cylinder. If all of that is good, I would leave the OEM piston and cylinder on it. An aftermarket cylinder if going to be a lower quality cylinder.

If you want more power the best thing you can do for these saws is a muffler mod. You usually see a 20% reduction in cut times. If you want more, you can do a mesh air filter and a timing advance.

If you have the itch to build a saw look around and find a saw that some one straight gassed then put a Chinese cylinder on it.

Here is a link to a playlist on youtube for a MS290 rebuild and some mods that I did to it. MS290 Rebuild and Mods - YouTube

17. ABOrman

ABOrman

94Bullitt, I haven’t done a comp test but I’d say it’s way down on comp. I have other saws. 455,435,echo th, 044. This 029 is my oldest saw . I could probably rering it and call it good. Your correct. Maybe even do a pop up, and cleanup. But I’m not looking at the China kits. They don’t have the quality to last another 20 years. Think myrkle, r even Stihl factory parts if I do it. But when my little 435 can run circles around it, it needs something. Lol

Wood always heats you twice, unless you rehandle like I do then it’s four or five times!

T.Jeff Veal, M2theB and brenndatomu like this.
  18. M2theB

M2theB

Sounds like it needs something.
    I agree with 94BULLITT , a little diagnostic might narrow it down including a visual behind the muffler.
    And for 100 bux you could build it with new p/c, seals, and hoses after market to a 64cc saw. That includes a new carb, which I’ve had very good luck with. It’s been atleast worth the gamble.
    And thanks for tip on Myrkle. I’ll look into that.

ABOrman, T.Jeff Veal and brenndatomu like this.