Had a dead Hemlock across this trail (pic 8920) so I took care of that then proceeded to move some dead wood out of the trail. Pic 8922 will be a connecting trail to the first two pics once I clear it.
In pic 22 whats the moss covered tree in the way? Is it worth keeping? and this soon to be trail you talk about, is it something your going to make or was it there?
That tree in pic 22 is rotten, it was either an old Basswood or Hemlock, it makes nice dirt. The trail was there so it's just a matter of clearing some downed wood, maybe removing some old stumps. I'm sure we have some ice storm damage once I get further down in the ravine.
Great pics Wood. You've got lots of cleanup wood there, as I do. I'll bet, once things aren't quite so dry here, I'll be burning "junk" wood in the pit more this year.
The pines around the house lost plenty of branches during the ice storm, what a f-ing mess, years of pit wood. The wood and the trail work will come first back on the property I cut on. I think the burn ban comes off May 14th here in New York State.
Just came back in from a day of splitting in the woods, I brought a load of rounds out, pictures coming up.
awesome pics as usual. Question for ya--- I notice a clean understory in all your pics. Have you guys run across any invasive buckthorn up there?? Obviously I have a love/hate relationship for it down here as it is nasty but burns quite well. I'm not sure of its range, but I'm hopeful there isn't any up by you guys.
This is some work I did last year, with all the rain we had this year it would be down to the rocks, the Pine needles are doing the job.
Some of the other areas I planned on clearing new trails are full of ferns so I'll wait until fall. I'll be working this area which we rarely use, if things work out this should give us another trail up top.
This dead pine needed to come down, it makes the trail safer and it makes the trail wider. Pic 9497 is before and the next pic after.
Next week (not sure when ) I'll start the trail clearing. Pictured is a trail that will run at the base of this hill into a meadow, lots of nice Cherry that mother nature put down just up the hill on the left. Picture 9174 is the new location of the scaled down cabin in the meadow, if things go well, we hope to start next spring. This location gives us more sun.....it will also be easier to get the supplies there.