In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening with gutters?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Apr 15, 2014.

  1. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I have been looking at using old gutters for gardening lately. My question is what kind of veggies could I grow in them? Green onion of course but what else?

    Thanks fellas.
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Leeks! Get it? I crack me up!
     
    Docwu, gbreda, andybaker and 9 others like this.
  3. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    why gutters?
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Because I have a 109' long fence and a small yard. If I attach them to the fence I can easily fit 400 + ft on it without any issue. It is a very sturdy fence.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I am heading to menards thursday to pick up parts to make a similar hoop house.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. tuneighty

    tuneighty

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    542
    Likes Received:
    1,670
    Location:
    South Central PA
    Lettuce's, Spinach, Arugula.

    I just threw this together from 1" irrigation tubing. ($55 for a 100' roll) Leftover from the wife's "Hula Hoop" project. I made them a little too long, I think they are 10' each. I will cut them down a bit after tonight's frigid temps.

    IMG_20140414_182525[2].jpg
     
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    That's a good idea Pete. Easy to water too.
     
  9. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Anything shallow rooted should be ok. Water retention may be an issue could maybe try a cotton wicking system in the bottom or some of the water bottle spikes like HF sell spaced out every so often. I have read of others doing it.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  10. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I'd like to see how it works out for you.

    I may try a few of these pallet gardens this year. We too, are tight on space. There are quite a few options.

    [​IMG][​IMG]
     
  11. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I did that with one a few years ago and it worked very well!
     
    fishingpol likes this.
  12. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Can you send me what you picked up and what your doing? I am trying to do this without spending a lot...
     
  13. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Flowers. That would be pretty. :)
     
    SolarandWood likes this.
  14. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    You mean the list? Because I'm not about to mail you all my parts :)
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  15. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    If you go the gutter route any leafy green(outside of head lettuce) herbs, radishes and beets for the greens - probably wouldn't be great for setting good sized root/bulbs.
    Snap peas might do well if you had a trellis behind it. The later developing peas/beans probably require too much of a root system and water to justify the space/yield
    Can always put a few summer squash or zucchini 3-4' apart at the base in the ground to catch the missed water.
    Cucumbers will do well if caged from the ground(train them to grow up not out) - a few plants will give you all the pickling cukes one could ever ask for

    Don't seal the gutters tight drainage is required or the seedlings will rot.
    Throw a marigold in here and there on the spacing - the natural scents/oils help repel bugs
     
    jetjr likes this.
  16. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    After I read the hoophouse link above I figured I'd add real world pro-built experience.
    Buy greenhouse poly - you will replace the cheap crap annually and costs you more in the long run - it's lasts about 3-4yrs...the first time the wind rips up on that luffing poly all your hard work/plants are toast - a big greenhouse could be $$$thousands in losses.

    Don't staple the poly to your end frames or base ledger. Use lathes - one set to anchor initially then wrap over the tacked lathe and place another one directly on the ledger tight to the top of the first lathe.
    Rip 1x4" in half if you don't have pallet material to do this. Rolling excess poly on the top lathe will help even more with stretching.. Doubling the poly and mating a muffin fan to the inside sheet would keep it from luffing and tearing - also adds an air insulation layer
     
    Stinny likes this.
  17. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,652
    Location:
    IN
    I used to work at a greenhouse....and replaced the plastic twice. This is all good advice. I'll add that you should put the plastic on on a relatively warm day without much of a breeze. Too cool and you won't get a good stretch. Too windy and you'll get taken for a ride...ask me how I know.
     
    basod likes this.
  18. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    How do you know?
     
    billb3 and papadave like this.
  19. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,283
    Likes Received:
    66,652
    Location:
    IN
    I took an involuntary ride off the peak of a hoop...got about 20' in the air....then deposited with a certain amount of authority. I was pi$$ed because the plastic tore and we had to refasten a whole side with those stupid cam lock things (not fun)...my boss had the most unbelievable oh chit look on his face...that kind of made it all worth it. Now that I'm a lot older and slightly smarter, I would probably wait out the wind.
     
    Pallet Pete and smoke show like this.
  20. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Just picked up 19 pieces of schedule 40 (was going to go 80, but this is prototype so I thought I would go cheap this time. 10 T sections. Still need 5 crosses and 4 corner T's, going to check Home Depot. Maybe I should add a garden hose attachment and drill some sprinkle holes.
     
    jetjr likes this.