Not sure if its ever been asked, but, generally speaking how long of a starter rope do you guy's like? I've got one 266 XP with what i think is a short pull rope. Another seems pretty much perfect. So, what length do you prefer? And, i haven't measured either one of them at this time.
I buy 4.5 off the spool for like $.40/ft and figure 4 feet. And I let the full spool tell me when it's full. If there's any slack at the handle, I'll give it another wrap or more until snug. Then I'll pull some out off the spool, secure it with vise grips, make the final tie at the handle and then gently let it wind itself back to seat the handle.
I put as much rope as will fit on the pulley without interference. That way I'm not pulling against the stop knot all the time. Ropes seem to last better that way.