Is this old beacon a white oak? I call it a beacon because it is in a corner where three property lines meet. And is visible from my house. My mother in law's line fence goes right through the tree but the bulk of the tree is on the neighbors (right hand) side. I asked the neighbor a couple years ago if we could cut in up on halves and his wife said "NO". But I left on good terms. I don't think it will make a saw log because of the wire. The ground around it is covered with red, white, bur, and black oak leaves. My wife and I reached our arms around it at approx breast height and our hands just barely touched. The old boy is a survivor,,,
I’d guess the leaves will still come out for a few more years, at least. Not a lot of dead evident in the full tree pic. Are you trying to get an ID for firewood reasons ole?
yes I would like to cut it up 50/50 with neighbor for firewood if he can get his wife to sign off this neighbor burns wood to heat his house and detached shop
Yeah, maybe? He's from SE Wisconsin. Around here I see a lot of sugar maple "sentinels" used to mark lot corners.