In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Todays muddy scrounge

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sinngetreu, Mar 19, 2014.

  1. Sinngetreu

    Sinngetreu

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    3,945
    Location:
    North Central Iowa
    On Monday I spotted a nice log that someone dropped off in our local tree dump. I couldn't get to it until today. Not a huge haul, but not bad for a quick trip after work. :thumbs:

    I'm trying to figure out what the wood with the dark heart wood is. Its on the far right. The other two are Pine and Mulberry.

    03-19-14 scrounge 002.jpg
     
    Gark, WeldrDave, HoneyFuzz and 2 others like this.
  2. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Looks like walnut
     
  3. Sinngetreu

    Sinngetreu

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    3,945
    Location:
    North Central Iowa
    I kinda thought that too, but isnt the heart wood a little closer to the bark than that?
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  4. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Nice scrounge bro :yes:
    Yeah it was muddy out back just going out to bring up the wood
     
  5. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    That crossed my mind but I haven't cut enough walnut to know. What I've cut I haven't messed much with branches as I was cutting poles and leaving the brush.
     
  6. Sinngetreu

    Sinngetreu

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    3,945
    Location:
    North Central Iowa
    Thanks.
    Its been weird weather. We had a half inch of fresh snow on the ground this morning and then nothing by quitting time. Its a slop fest.
    My chaps are properly broke in.
     
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Kickin and a gouging in the mud and blood in the beer :axe:
     
    Gark, jetjr, Stinny and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sinngetreu

    Sinngetreu

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    3,945
    Location:
    North Central Iowa
    I can honestly say that I havent cut Walnut (knowingly), so I'm even less informed.
    It was in the way of the pine, so it got cut too and then the "what the heck, why not" and threw it in the back. Its pretty dense and heavy, so it could be pretty good.
     
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I had some at elm that had little dark heart wood like that
     
  10. Sinngetreu

    Sinngetreu

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    3,945
    Location:
    North Central Iowa
    I'll post a better picture of the bark later if I think of it.

    I split a piece of the Pine and it ended up being 17.5 MC. :axe: :fire:
     
    papadave likes this.
  11. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I'm sticking with elm. That doesn't look like the walnut that we typically get in our area.
     
    Mitch Newton likes this.
  12. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    You can't burn that pine it will set your house on fire ;)
     
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    Sinngetreu likes this.
  13. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Also, it's warm enough that I think you would have smelled the walnut when you cut it, smells just like the husks.
     
  14. Sinngetreu

    Sinngetreu

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    3,945
    Location:
    North Central Iowa
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure its not Walnut. The bark doesn't have ANY deep grooves to it. I'm not up on my Elm, so I cant say for sure it was that though.
     
  15. Sinngetreu

    Sinngetreu

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    3,945
    Location:
    North Central Iowa
    It's because its too dry isn't it?! I sure wish someone would make a short video that would clear this up for us!:rofl: :lol:
     
    Grizzly Adam and HDRock like this.
  16. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yep, take it all. c/s/s it for a couple years (except the pine), then cook it in the stove.
    Btu's are us.
     
    Gark and Sinngetreu like this.
  17. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Why make a new video when the definitive and classic burning wet pine video has allready been made? (Except this one isn't exactly short.)
     
    swags likes this.
  18. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Haha I saw that before it was something
    I just don't know what else to call it
     
  19. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Some fine looking fuel that fella's got right there… yessir… :eek::rolleyes:
     
    Gark likes this.
  20. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Whether a big score..or little score..........it still a SCORE :) Nice work !