In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Alternative to shallow well jet pump/pressure tank combo on cistern?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Oct 1, 2017.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Agreed, short cycling is not good at all.
    But as for extended run time...I'd take more (or longer per cycle) rather than less...as in oversize pressure tank, not as in broken water line.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

STROKE OF LUCK? (possibly)

The pump protector bushpilot mentioned arrived today (slightly different model) Installing it this weekend.

Late this summer I met a neighbor a mile or so down the road and his wife. He mentioned he was on a commercial job at the university here that WWW's company was there too and dipchit was gumming it up pretty bad and delaying all the other contractors of every trade, of course I mentioned to WWW, one thing to work with a %*% *&^$, but another to allow him to give the company a bad name...... So WWWW took the quad down there a few weeks later and introduced himself-neighbor said he needs a roof. Fast forward to now, WWW went by today to apologize that they are totally booked and looking at next spring when it warms up enough for shingles. The neighbor in return offers a barter a deal on our water problems!!!!!!

I can't wait to see how this works out, commercial pump and pressure tank, oh ya, thats what I want, like a set up we owned/used for 21 years. :banana:

:sherlock::sherlock::sherlock:

yooperdave, CleanFire and Horkn like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Thats barter yet!

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

yup thar evn mor betterah!

6. Casper

Casper

Late to the party, but here is the setup we installed a few years ago. Our well is slow to recover, so with a family of four and lots of guests, we were frequently running out of water. Our submersible feeds our 400 gallon tank, but we also haul city water if when needed. I also have a 425 gallon transport tank I can slide into the 1 ton. There is a float in the tank to shut off the submersible when it is full. There is also a low pressure/timer panel to control the submersible. Also, we can shut the well pump off and only run city water. Comes in handy when we shock the well.

Once water is in the tank, a jet pump and pressure tank takes over. We have a simple low pressure switch on the pump. If the pressure drops to 15psi (I think) the pump shuts down. You have to reset it manually when you have water in the tank. We also have a "cycle stop" to keep pressure up in the house while two people are showering or other high demand use. Personally, I love it. I've heard some say it will burn a pump out prematurely, but it's been several years and honestly, if the pump burnt up tomorrow, I'd install another Cycle Stop. It's that convenient for us.

DSC04258.jpg

41Lxz11JfAL._SY400_.jpg

We were opening a window and running a hose to the tank. That got old. I added a 3" PVC filler line and ran it from the tank to the garage. Back the truck in and unload. The other thing, I like is the ability to switch the jet pump to 120v. We can use our little Yamaha 2800w inverter to run our house in the event of a power outage. In the country, that happens at least once a year. Especially during our ten year ice storms. If needed we can pull out the 25kw PTO gen, but it's a pain.

Hope this helps.

wildwest, Lucy, CleanFire and 2 others like this.
  7. bushpilot

bushpilot

CleanFire, wildwest and yooperdave like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi Greg, thanks for asking, there are too many projects here, they all get picked as we can. So far on this one the barter has yet to be set up, likely when we are all inside (Dec-March), but we did get the ultrasonic alarm done!! (no, its not 86* in the cistern, somehow missed that setting before mounting on the wall. And yes, it really is 77* in here ..... I've been able to save several hundred dollars so far for the new equip needed for the barter, just still irked that I FINALLY paid my truck off and 1/2 that is now going to ANOTHER increase in health insurance this Jan :confused:

Impressive gadget for the low $$

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  9. Lucy

Lucy

Hi Casper, you have exactly the set up we are intending to put into our house. I've been at a loss on how big a pressure tank I should get. The main thing it needs to handle is a washing machine. The new front loading ones are very finicky with their water pressure requirements and info is hard to find. Are you running a front loader on your set up?
    Our water supply like yours can be intermittent. We build a hydraulic ram pump that pumps our water from a spring on the other side of the hill to our 300 gal barrels. Spring time is the only time we can fill the barrels. The water is very clean then but it gets murky later when the water level drops until it stops for the summer.

This forum is awesome. I get answers to questions i haven't even asked yet.

CleanFire, Casper and wildwest like this.
  10. Casper

Casper

We have a Speed Queen top loader so I can't answer anything related to the front loader stuff. I think our pressure tank is 15 gallon? I'd have to check on that though. As i said, we have a Cycle Stop installed on our pump. Once a certain low pressure is hit, the pump stays on until water demand is stopped. We can have two people showering at different ends of the house, someone can flush a toilet and not drop pressure for someone in the shower.

I don't know if cycle stop would be a great idea if you're conserving water. We have a bulk account and I can fill my 425 gallon tank in my truck anytime of day or night if we need water. The location is a metered hydrant in front of a local village hall that offers bulk water.

If you need specs, let me know.

wildwest and CleanFire like this.
  11. Lucy

Lucy

Thanks Casper, I think a cycle stop is a great idea, even though it's just the two of us as a rule. My current water supply runs to about 6500 gal and i'm getting a few more barrels. We'll only hook up 2 x 300 gal tanks at a time that should avoid water loss in case of broken pipes etc. Although a pain in the winter.

wildwest and CleanFire like this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

The neighbor that we talked about barter between his roof and our plumbing came by today, wooooo!! Not sure what it will cost but it needs to be done..

2 rooms with a common wall ~~4.5' x 8' (orig bath and funky utility room with trap door to plumbing bunker), knock the wall out, bring pump & pressure tank etc to main floor instead of the nasty tiny bunker, and put in a step in shower for me instead of the deep jetted tub in the new bathroom, and of course mirror and sink etc. is the plan. Not ready for fixtures and drywall etc for awhile but he's going to rough it in for us too!!!

What a relief to have better equipment and in a place where we can actually work on it instead of hunched over in the bunker!!

:dex:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Chaz, CleanFire, yooperdave and 4 others like this.
  13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Sounds like a turn for the better, WW!:thumbs::yes: