I would prefer purchasing this once. In a nutshell I would like to get a high quality unit the first time. Guessing one of the Oregon sharpeners would fit the bill. Likely to maintain 20 of my own chains and who knows how many from buddies. Anywho. Willing to listen. Fill me in on what seems to be working. Thanks..
I'm watching this as well. Been on the fence since last year about getting one of these Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oregon one would fit the bill yes... they got a couple of really nice one, my neighbor has one of the decent Oregons. But I went and got two Northern tool ones. One set up for right and one setup for left. That way I don't have to reset the angles.
Is it that much of a pain to switch it over? Real question...not giving you crap. I've never used one. Ok....used a HF one time...then trashed it.
So there's no click and or stop on the degree marks is what I'm gathering? That makes sense to have two if not. Thx for the input. A grinder is on my list for this summer.
I'm using the HF one. Based on what you wrote, it is not the one for you, but it works. When it fails me, I will buy a better one. I hate filing chains ...
Whatever you get I cannot make a stronger recommendation than the ABN cyclone wheel from Dynasaw. First time you use it you'll do the Snoopy dance !! Slicker than a snot on a dog's nose. I'm a machinist by trade and in my opinion all the chain grinders are built like a POS. I've had the Oregon 511a forever and I can do the same job on a buddy's northern tool unit. You have to treat them like a teenage daughter cause they are sensitive, don't bet your life on the graduation marks pull gently and consistently. Spend a afternoon tweeking, adjusting, filing and fitting until rights and lefts end up the same. Then don't let anyone else use it.
If I was doing any quantity of chain grinding you can bet I'd have a separate right and left grinder.
The lack of stops isn't the issue, it's the "flexibility and loose fits" that cause people headaches. It's not a "machine tool" it's a fixture mounted grinder. So you have to become one with the grinder Young Grasshopper. Pull constantly but gently to the right as you pull down (to remove play and flexibility and not fight the wheel trying to move away from the tooth. Move the head up and down only as much distance as required because you want to preserve the hinge fit.
I had one and thought it was good too till I bought the NT on sale for $99. With the HF one make sure you buy the wheel for real 3/8 (.375) chain cause the one it comes with is for 3/8 lopro chain and won't sharpen right.