In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pfft.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FatBoy85, Apr 6, 2017.

  1. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Having too much is best. No wood burner should be scrounging in the middle of winter for wood anyways. Get caught with your pants down and that lesson will stick forever. Looks like you're going to be fine but two stoves must have some leeway for heat and you'll find a plateau point of those two.

    I'm hoping to avoid that lesson of not having enough or running out but at least I joined the right group that will help keep that going well. I don't have a stove yet but plan to install soon. The best thing about this is that I have a feeling this will generate lots more heat in a more comfortable way. Im really tired of getting up to turn the thermostat to rely on expensive heat when Ive got loads of it outside my house completely free. The heat will likely be much more comfortable and longer lasting. if I get too hot, its time to start opening up closets and letting the heat in.
     
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,851
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Too much is just enough

    Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
     
    Screwloose, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  3. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,483
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    There's the stick ads, then there's the 5 cords dropped off at my house for free CL scores.

    It's all over the place.

    Yeah, FatBoy85 , keep searching, you will find more like that birch score.
     
  4. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    Sign me up for 5 cords delivered please!

    One thing I'm looking forward to is getting to the three year point, and thenjoy being able to pick and choose what I want to take. When I can pull right up to the wood is fantastic! Cut and turn and put it in the truck.

    I was carrying locust up a small hill, stacking it on a 3' retaining wall, then running it up another hill in a wheelbarrow to put it in the truck. Way too much work!
     
  5. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Never really stopped but the hard part is finding it more local. Up north in Seattle they cut down a lot more than here but sometimes I would wonder that they don't burn much up there as they do here in my area so they are more willing to get rid of it. Spring is bringing a lot of blow downs or folks get sick of how big a tree got. They are there. This is the source to the bulk of my finds anyways.
     
    Horkn likes this.
  6. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    [QUOTE="Mwalsh9152, post: 646415, member: 4185.

    I was carrying locust up a small hill, stacking it on a 3' retaining wall, then running it up another hill in a wheelbarrow to put it in the truck. Way too much work![/QUOTE]

    Ooof! That just sounds heavy alone. Same with the waiting for the wood. Once its done, its like...candy store. You got your 100 grand, snickers, Twix, hersey Abbazabba or milky way. No wrong one just find something for the day and night and stock up. "Put that on my tab... 1/4 rick of birch and 1/4 rick of oak. See ya tomorrow Wood"
     
    Mwalsh9152 and Horkn like this.
  7. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,632
    Likes Received:
    33,296
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    You missed the "you cut down the tree between the house and garage with the highway in back and the power lines in front on a hill leaner and you can have the wood for free" adds.
    Oh, must be insured.
     
    UncleJoe, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  8. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,483
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    Yes, there's those too.

    I also didn't mention that it's ready to post on CL, and easy to keep from getting spammed. I've purchased and sold tons of stuff on CL over the years.
     
    Screwloose likes this.
  9. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,483
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    Here's my thread
    Tree service freebies
     
    Mwalsh9152 likes this.
  10. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,632
    Likes Received:
    33,296
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Same here but the balance is tilted. Purchased tons sold pounds.
    My son wants to expand so he put our company on it "just to see" I'm getting some strange calls thats for sure.
     
  11. tree killer

    tree killer

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2015
    Messages:
    2,463
    Likes Received:
    16,916
    Location:
    Central me
    IMG_0781.PNG IMG_0780.PNG IMG_0781.PNG Saw a couple more CL adds you might want. I am really interested in the stump. I heard they burn forever.
     
    NH mountain man and FatBoy85 like this.
  12. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Absolutely can. Its a matter of how bad you need it or know of its burning time. The knots are where its at. Uglies have their place. There's a reason why they are so hard to split.
     
    Horkn likes this.
  13. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    sweet, I have about a half dozen stumps just beyond my stacking area, I should drag them out and sell them!
     
    NH mountain man, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  14. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Get them noodled a bit and you might surprise yourself. If they are dry enough try one in your burn pile to see.
     
    NH mountain man, Horkn and Eric VW like this.