In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Big oak drop

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by swags, Feb 7, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Here is a video of the loggers dropping a big oak where I was cutting firewood today.

     
  2. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Always cool watching a tree drop swags :cool: Was Garth sitting in the passenger seat? :D
     
    mdavlee, fox9988, Got Wood? and 2 others like this.
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    personal concert for the tree master as I was cutting firewood!
     
    mdavlee, Got Wood? and Loon like this.
  4. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Just the limbs of that one will make a lot of good fire wood.
    Maybe the center is bad & you can get the whole thing :)
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,179
    Location:
    Central MI
    Always love to hear those fall!
     
    mdavlee likes this.
  6. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I love to hear them fall but it always makes me a bit sad to watch a big tree like that come down. I have one way bigger than that in my yard and its gonna be a sad day when it comes down. Maybe I'm a bit weird :)
     
    matchstick and mdavlee like this.
  7. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,487
    Likes Received:
    113,780
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Wow, just listened to it. Thats pretty impressive. How big was it? Looked pretty good size from the view.....
     
  8. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I didn't walk up there as I was in the way out with a load of locust and stopped to shoot that video but it has to be over 4'. I'll snap a pic of the stump when I go back out.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  9. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Them guys are good and know what they are doing. Funny thing too they pulled out a new chain while they were there and the first thing he did was run a file over it to sharpen it up.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,179
    Location:
    Central MI
    Many do that Sean and it is a good practice.
     
  11. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I've been getting a good edge on my chains with a file, but I know there is much I can learn in the art if sharpening
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Never sharpened a brand new out of the box chain before,
    I always thought they came sharp from the factory ?
     
  13. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Just not as sharp as these guys like em
     
  14. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    I've been teasing that a file sharpens sharper than other methods/
    These professional guys prove it. LOL :)