In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bandsaw/Wood Lathe

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by yooperdave, Dec 4, 2016.

  1. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,317
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Thinking of getting one each in the next week. I have my mind made up on the brands and since I know little on the use or features of them am asking for pointers...you know-needs and need-nots of them sorta thing?

    Any help or suggestions are considered and helpful!

    Rikon bandsaw
    Nova tekanatool wood lathe
     
  2. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,317
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  3. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Cool! But I'm not quite sure what you're asking here Dave? A lot depends on what you want to do with it.

    There's a lot of extra tooling with a lathe, and if you want to get into bowls, there's even more. Plus the chisels and gouges will all need to be sharpened. As far as a bandsaw, its really just about the blades. Tighter curves require narrower blades; and the rule of thumb for TPI is "three in the cut".
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I just found a band saw in an old shed down in the field. Brought it up to the main shed to examine this weekend. Want to oil things up before attempting to start it. It's old.......
     
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    No idea, but I'd like to get a BS.
    Nope. Didn't happen.
    Nope.
    :ithappened:
     
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I'll get a pic tomorrow......:rolleyes:

    :D
     
  7. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,554
    Location:
    US
    Is it tomorrow yet?:rofl: :lol:
    Yep!
    BS- are you looking to resaw lumber, or just do some hobby work?
    Lathe- just like Shawn Curry said, so much to consider.....Pens, bowls, basic turning work like spindles?

    You asked, then you asked if anyone (like Pink Floyd) "was out there" so let's have it bud!:D
     
  8. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    While on the topic...what wood you suggest to cut/rip branches in half longitudinal. The closest mill is a half day drive and I don't plan on makin lumber. Just want 6-8 inches wide for shelving. Tried a 3 inch on my 10 inch table saw and burned the tar out of it. So much smoke n bogged so bad I thought I burned out the motor. Would a band saw work or by being that much unsupported blade will it wander?
     
    Backwoods Savage, Thor and Eric VW like this.
  9. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,554
    Location:
    US
    Case hardening in wood(yes, wood) will work against any blade. Shawn Curry can speak more authoritatively on the BS aspect, but wedging (riving) your cut behind the blade of a table saw should make for your wood gettin get less burnt....
    Just a thought, 'cos I've never ripped a branch (or a log for that matter) on my table saw.
    Now making your own crown molding, on the other hand? That's hard on a saw, too..... And that I do know something about.
     
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,317
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    Thanks.

    I will be using the saw for ripping and lathe prep and finishing...cutting face plate area off bottom of turnings etc. Also hope to open up some burls....

    The lathe will be used for bowls (I hope) and maybe a few oddball projects here and there.
    I realize that a convential bench grinder spins too fast to properly sharpen a chisel/gouge but have not yet purchased a half speed grinder-as I call them.
    What about these different chucks I see available for bowls/projects? Worth the purchase? Can you remove it from one piece to start another and then replace it one the original piece with the same precision?
     
    Backwoods Savage, Thor and Eric VW like this.
  11. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,840
    Likes Received:
    16,710
    Location:
    Michigan
    Man I sure wish I could help steer you in a direction but I myself just started last year.

    So the band saw is going to complement the lathe primarily? This is what I was going to do but also wanted to build some small dovetail boxes. You should check them out on utube. Lots of different styles and the same kind of lathe will work well with both.

    The Wood Wolverine, fishingpol, unclefess . Maybe you guys can help him understand some stuff.

    I'm just gonna sit back and :popcorn: cause I'm gonna be in the market soon.
     
  12. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Well the prep work could be done on a smaller saw, but resawing takes a good amount of power, and you might struggle to make the cut you want on an odd shaped burl with insufficient cutting height/throat depth. One about the size of mine could be a good fit - 2HP, 12" resaw, 17" throat. I'd invest in a nice carbide tipped blade for those sorts of tasks as well - Lennox makes some nice ones at a fair price.

    A set of stones will be the cheapest and most versatile sharpening tools. Most of the time you'll probably just need to hone them rather than grind.

    The screw-on type face plates are much cheaper than a jawed chuck, but the jawed type are much easier and precise for remounting the work. But, you might be able to buy several of the screw on type for the same price and just leave them attached. You can spend an awful lot of money on specialty tooling; Id take a "wait and see" sort of approach to what you think you might need.
     
  13. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Is there a wood turners association near you? A guy I used to work with is a member of the North Dakota Wood Turning Association. They would have meetings and occasionally invite big name wood workers for conventions and their dues includes an insurance if you do a demonstration and someone got hurt. He said he made all sorts of connections and learned a lot from them.
     
  14. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    How much money do you want to spend?
    $400, 2,000?
     
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    yooperdave and papadave like this.
  15. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    A bandsaw will be a much better choice than a tablesaw for rough dimensioning like that. It takes a bit of practice to keep it from wandering, and for 6-8" wide, perhaps a shopmade tall fence. A tablesaw really requires at least a semi- squared corner on the piece so that it can feed into the blade perfectly straight. You could make a jig out of plywood or something to substitute for the squared corner, but you'll be limited in the depth of cut to around 3".
     
  16. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,338
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I'd say go right ahead and get a Rikon. I almost pulled the trigger on one myself before I found the used Grizzly.
    I found this thread 15 min. before I had to leave for work so I'll respond later. In the mean time, check out this link. Penn State Industries | Pen Turning | Pen Kits | Dust Collector I'd highly recommend choosing a chuck. The screw on face plates require you to loose a lot of material due to the depth of needed screws.
    [​IMG]
    Vs.
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  17. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,338
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Tooling is key w/ a lathe. This is where you blow the budget. One thing I do not have but want/need is this tool rest.
    IC_on_AB-400H1.jpg
    And a sharpening system is a must. Tools loose a fine edge quickly and performance drops off. Haven't tried this but will soon.
    sharpening_2D00_jigs_5F00_12.jpg
    A jig for guiding tools on a grinding wheel. My pop and I have been using bench belt sander w a fine grit to keep tools sharp, and he has a multi-shaped stone.
     
  18. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I can add a little bit. Shawn has good advice on the size of a band saw. At least 1 hp, better yet 2 hp is very sweet. Don't undersized and be disappointed. At least 14" on the width is nice. If you have a model number on a band saw, a search on the net will take you to top wood working websites with reviews.

    I can't really give advice on the machines two you mentioned as I have older tools and I dont follow the latest models. I just work with what I have and that is fine by me.

    Band saws a are on CL a lot around here. Good decent ones that someone bought for a small project and never used it again. They are asking almost new prices though. A larger band saw will be on my list. It will most likely be a Porter Cable or Delta. I have a small shop, and move machines around on wheeled bases. So a larger machine is not in the cards.
    I'll keep the :popcorn: ready.
     
  19. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,317
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  20. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,840
    Likes Received:
    16,710
    Location:
    Michigan
    yooperdave likes this.