This morning I was reloading the stove and afterwards the door was acting like it didn't want to shut. Got to looking around and realized a 4 inch section of the gasket on the top of the door was loose and had fallen down out of the door frame. I put it back in and shut the door but it seems like I recall that you shouldn't use stove cement on this gasket as its a pre-compressed flat gasket? Anyhow just thought someone might know right off hand what type of glue or adhesive can or should be used. Also can I glue it back on and the shut the door as it is going to be way to cold to let the stove go out for the next week or two. I should probably just order a new door gasket as mine is 3.5 years old at this point but the gasket still seems fine and seal well. On the old Dutchwest the door gaskets were just the standard rope gasket and I had to repair them in the middle of use quite a few times but it seems like I remember this one was slightly different. I'm gonna go dig the manual out now I guess.
Yeah, I am going to have to try to patch it up somehow as I really can't shut it down right now. Figures that this happens going into a cold spell instead of last week where I could have fixed it one afternoon
BK recommends a hi temp silicone, not sure what other manufactures recommend. It seemed to work fine on my stove.
After the basketball games today I am going to run in town and get some gasket cement or high temp silicone and try putting just a little bit on to see if it will hold it. I figure I will try to so it at the warmest part of the day and then maybe lightly close the door with one or two splits for an hour or two. Hopefully it sets up enough I can fully latch the door and get by until we have a few days in the high thirty to replace the whole thing.
Silicone will set in an hour and fully cure in 24.(with some heat I'm sure it'll be faster) It's only a small section of gasket, I'd apply it during the coaling stage of a load, close the door and reload as normal.
I did a quick search on t6 gasket and it brought up some posts on the other site that was talking about the gaskets being impragnated and thus stove cement was not good or successful. Don't know personally just passing on.
I was going to try the Rutland furnace cement but found this stuff called gasket cement. Anyhow its fairly thin and I was able to slip the tip down in the groove and place a tiny amount in a few spots closed the door and left it for two hours and it seems OK now. Hopefully gets me through until I have a new gasket and the time to do it right.
So far so good! Seems to be holding the gasket great so I'm going to let it go as long as possible. Ideally to put the new gasket on I would like to be able to remove the door and clean the channel it sits in.