Back to the cut I've been working. Load of 80% cottonwood and the balance Norway maple. Big logs on the back of the pile made it logistical more difficult but got a load cut in a couple hours. Had to noodle most to move and load. 462 flying solo. Most will make it for bundle inventory. Ill split it off the truck tomorrow. Three big logs still in back of the pile so MOTS to come Horkn
Dries fast and burns faster. Ideal for shoulder season. The stuff I'll split tomorrow will be used in 3-4 months. Not that avidly pursued for firewood with higher BTU species usually around. Ill mix a couple splits in with bundles and some will be sold for fire pit wood. I no longer burn other than the fire pit so most of the wood I hoard gets sold.
I hear ya, I actually don't heat with wood. I'd love to, but haven't had the chance to install a stove. I usually sell a bunch to my buddy, and burn the "cutoffs" and smaller stuff in the fire pit. I'll save a couple good face cords for myself of premium stuff, but like you stated, a lot gets sold
I did for ten years until I moved in with GF here in 2010. No fireplace here so no indoor fire. Prior to owning a house my folks both burned so grew up with it. I greatly miss coming in on a cold day to a house warmed with fire.
Yes I miss it too. My dad heated with a buck fireplace insert. He always used Grandpa's ol mcculloch 650 for the cutting duties. Good ol days.
You just love showing off that SBH & HL!!! I don't blame you. I haven't scored HL since July last year and don't recall SBH, but IINM it was last year as well. Last hickory I scored was in April, but don't remember species.