In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

  1. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,633
    Location:
    Vermont
    yes I have power, and maybe electric will be next. They are significantly cheaper…
    The “good” ones have gear oil in pump and so they don’t use water to cool pump. Therefore Tend to last longer

    With freezing temps 1/2 year and choosing not to heat garage or barn just limits storage options
    Decisions decisions
     
  2. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    I really like our water boss softener that I installed a few years ago. Menards had a sale on them when I needed one
     
  3. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,251
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Saw a free Honda GX240 on FBMP the other day...said it was seized up.
    I decided to go grab it, gotta be good for parts at least, or maybe even easily repairable.
    I talked with the guy while picking it up, he is a mobile mechanic for an outdoor power equipment place, so I thought, yup, this one is likely actually junk.
    After talking with him about it a bit, he n his kid (18-20 yo maybe?) put new rings in this thing to fix an oil burning issue (unusual)
    Then it started making bad noises and smoking worse than ever...they shut it down and put a Predator 8 HP on it.
    I popped the case open to check the rod n crank and found the rod bolts loose, very loose! Things didn't look too bad so I put it back together to try it out... would not turn over 360* without locking up, but not seized locking up, more like clunk, sudden stop!
    Pulled the plug out and checked the combustion chamber out with a bore scope...broken piston.
    Pulled the head and found the ring lands blown clean off the front of the piston (rings too)
    Pulled the head to check the cylinder, it still looks good, so I'm going to rebuild...I found a nice oem piston/rings/rod assembly on eBay for $20, so I'm gonna try to save this thing.
    I'll be under $40 all in with gaskets, so if it doesn't work out, I still have lots of good parts for $40, and a couple hours of fooling around.
    I think it's gonna work fine though.
    Oh, and I believe he let the kid rebuild it and he forgot to set the torque on the rod bolts...piston hit the head, or valves, which broke it...lots of ring bits laying on the piston, and some in the muffler too. Surprisingly the valves and pushrods seem fine, although the valve adjustment was way loose, which he did mention setting. Jr still has some learning to do...
    Screenshot_20260927-135450.png
     
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2026 at 1:56 PM
  4. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,079
    Likes Received:
    29,341
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Just curious, what pressure washer you are using? I used to have a big Simpson with a GX390 but never used it much and was able to sell if for $25 less than I paid for it. Guessing the pump wasn't dialed in or something as it never had the pressure I felt it should have.
     
  5. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,633
    Location:
    Vermont
    The Honda GX390 went on my wood splitter newer one (free) has G240
    I bet your Simpson needed gear oil in the water pump Mine did most forget to check it. Gear oil doesn’t freeze
     
  6. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,079
    Likes Received:
    29,341
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Had a sight glass and was full. Just never seemed to have the 4200PSI 4-something GPM. Either way it went to a new owner. I suppose a small reason was the fact the guy I bought it from asked to borrow it and took me a year to get it back. At the end he admitted it was at a pawnshop but did get it back with bad fuel in it.
     
  7. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,251
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    The oil lubes the pump, the water cools it...that's why they always tell you to not let the engine run for too long if you aren't pulling the trigger...because the pump is just recirculating the water, and it heats up quick. A minute, 2 at the most is all they will tolerate, and still last a reasonable life span.
    2 things take out 99% of all pressure washers...freezing temps, and left running too long while not spraying water
     
  8. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    392
    Likes Received:
    3,023
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    I have the new one in the shed and in 2023, I mounted 4 of these solar spotlights for something like 2 for $25
    around the property so if a someone or something is picked up by the cameras, we get a clearer video than if we were using IR. 2 of them are along the driveway so we have a little extra light when going to the cars at night.

    I put 2 more of the same out in my backyard at home so I can keep an eye on my dog when he's out. I am actually ordering two more for my backyard so when the dog gets up to the backdoor I can see him out there.

    I took down 2 100w electric spots and a 40 watt LED electric that I don't have to use anymore. I repurposed the house mounted lights electrical box to add gutter heaters to keep the ice dams off the roof.
     
  9. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    392
    Likes Received:
    3,023
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    I got a cheap electric power washer a couple years ago. I store mine in an unheated shed (not as cold as your area but gets cold). I blow out the lines and wand and all and then leave it out in the sun for a day or so, before the freeze comes on. Sort of the same way you drain a hose before the winter.

    So far so good.
     
  10. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,251
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Same here...one year it still froze n broke the pump housing, dunno why it didn't work that year...didn't hold my tongue right while I was draining the pump I guess...or maybe I forgot to pull the engine over a couple times to purge water inside the pump?
     
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2026 at 9:52 AM
  11. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    16,761
    Location:
    Michigan
    For the past month or so I been doing a tiny house build outta a 40ft shipping container. Would love to share some pictures but ..... Maybe someday this forum 'll get fixed.
     
  12. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,251
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Would love to see it...none of the pic tips that people have shared have worked for you?
    You on FB? You could put it on the FHC FB page...pretty sure that still works.
    Edit: yup, here...
    Firewood Hoarders Club
     
  13. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    16,761
    Location:
    Michigan
    Some of them do, sometimes. I could crop this one and it uploaded. Not really trying to edit pictures to get them to upload. Don't need duplicates and I want the original size saved on the phone, readily viewable. No book face here. Might do a YouTube video, might not. Lol

    PXL_20260911_192916939.jpg
     
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,998
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Id live there...but only if it had wood heat! :coldfire:
     
  15. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    16,761
    Location:
    Michigan
  16. Dok440

    Dok440

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2021
    Messages:
    1,414
    Likes Received:
    10,022
    Location:
    NorCal
    Can't like that. All that salt and water is going to be a mess. Hope it is an easy fix!
     
    wildwest, eatonpcat, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  17. Dok440

    Dok440

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2021
    Messages:
    1,414
    Likes Received:
    10,022
    Location:
    NorCal
    Hoping and praying for you.
     
    wildwest, eatonpcat, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  18. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I heard somebody mention take a screenshot of your pic and those fit here.
     
  19. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,652
    Likes Received:
    144,620
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  20. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    16,761
    Location:
    Michigan
    Yeah I'm gonna live in it for a year or so after it's built and hopefully find some property to move it onto. Then maybe a little longer. IDK how I'm gonna move it, that's a problem for another day. Lol. Seriously though they're not too hard to move. Can be done with the right trailer and pickup truck. Most shed movers have the capacity. There's lots of container sellers that'll move um I assume. Can be put behind a semi truck and taken across the country.
     
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2026 at 8:40 PM