In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tongue-n-groove clay liners and thimble

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

Wasn’t sure where to place these questions for discussion. Moderators feel free to move if need be.

This thread is about gathering information about these liners.

Anyone have any experience with these round clay liners? Pictures of an existing chimney with these liners?

Clay Chimney Liner, Clay Flue Liner, Round Flue Liner, Square Flue Liner

Wall Thimble / Clay Thimble for Appliance and Stove Connection

Also, is their any data available on how flue draft is affected in square liners, if draft is affected at all? Round versus square?

I can see these tongue-n-groove liners being useful for straight liner alignment up a chimney flue. Especially for someone wanting to build a new masonry chimney or even to re-line an existing chimney. Seems the joints could be better sealed as well without the seal coming out. Joints could still expand but not move and shift around side-to-side.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

No way I'm paying for a clay liner over SS, unless maybe for coal.
    Round always flows better..the corners cause turbulence and run cool, which collects creosote and is hard to clean.

Sirchopsalot likes this.
  3. Hoytman

Hoytman

A rebuttal to those costs would be easy for some of us, but I’m not interested in what someone is willing to pay or not pay as it regards this discussion. In other words, I didn’t want this discussion to go there, but it has already. Just trying to stay on topic. I’m interested in specific information from people if they have it available to share.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Fine, its your party, have fun dude, I'm out.

Sirchopsalot likes this.
  5. Hoytman

Hoytman

What about other prefab masonry chimney products/liners?

There was another one than I seen as recent as a few years ago, but I’m currently doing some searching and can’t seem to find it. What I’m thinking of was the square block and round liner all formed into one piece I think it was. It was not clay. I think it was made of pumice and some type of binder.

EDIT: Here is another masonry style chimney and liner. Still searching for current information, but here’s an older link to a product called Chimtek.
    https://messickstove.com/resources/2018-Brochures---Other/2018-MessickStove---ChimTek.pdf

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  6. Hoytman

Hoytman

I wasn’t trying to be rude to you, rather, to the point about staying on topic. You know as well as I do that often these threads become heated. Just trying to avoid that as I’m seeking information. We can always debate which is best in another thread and I would welcome that too. You’re free to go or free to stay. I’d rather you stay and contribute if you can, but the choice is yours.

7. Hoytman

Hoytman

8. Hoytman

Hoytman

After much research and for those interested in “other” masonry chimney options, it turns out that Isokern is a registered trademark of Earthcore Industries headquartered in Florida and made in the U.S.A. in Virginia, and that information sure was hard to track down for some reason.

It seems to the dismay of many there is a place for “other” chimney products beside clay, block, and stainless steel.

The issue I have now is finding reviews of the products. Not only how they perform, but a review of longevity. It will take some more digging to see how long these products have been available and if they are viable and worthy options for people.

Anyone with more information or personal experience, then please offer that information so we can all learn more about these products.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  9. yooperdave

yooperdave

I have a clay lined masonry chimney. It is square.

I also have a gasification wood furnace that I just installed and was able to "try out" with only a couple of practice burns on days that started in the 30's but warmed up to the 50's.

I think those temps affected the draft (duh!) thus affecting the performance of the new style wood furnace.

These furnaces are commonly installed to masonry chimneys as well as stainless lined. I am hoping that the performance of the furnace improves once the colder weather sets in.

All that being said, I have a round clay thimble into a square clay lined chimney. Don't know if it is tongue and groove or not but the idea of the T&G sounds good if thats the way you are going.

I haven't tried, but maybe you can do a word search for reviews of the above mentioned products?

10. Hoytman

Hoytman

Not sure if ceramic liners are available in the U.S. or not.
    SIH Liners

(You will see below that Isokern has a lot of information from across the big pond. However, Isokern is made in U.S.A.)

This is interesting. This a video made over across the pond, but it an Isokern product, which can be found in Florida and possibly other states. Just have to search.
    Pumice Liners › Schiedel United Kingdom

Same product, just different name and more and better installation details.
    https://www.specflue.com/download/e0d1-5850-a007-cde3-4028-cf9b-0c3f-d7d6/

Last bit of info from my digging. LOL!
    Best I can tell ... page 7 of this link ... https://www.earthcore.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/MAGNUM_6072_V004.7_EDITED_210728.pdf ... Isokern is a registered trademark of the Earthcore Industries headquartered in Florida and made in the U.S.A. in Virginia ... but dang it took some digging to find that information. Ridiculous! That, or I suck at researching. Ha!

Thank you very much. We are here to help where we can and if we can. LOL!

Clay and block are still cheaper and have stood the test of time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    yooperdave likes this.
  11. Hoytman

Hoytman

As you can see there are some other masonry options out there. Some of these interesting in my opinion.

I am hoping someone who has either these new styles of masonry liners or those with the round clay tongue-n-groove liners will see this thread and give their experiences with them and maybe post some pictures.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Calling jo191145 maybe he can answer being a mason.

13. jo191145

jo191145

Not really. Been out of residential for almost 25 years. All seem an improvement over the standard butt joint flues.

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

You can increase your chances by adding tags…
    17D54D65-B0FD-461B-86A5-E81528A59DD2.jpeg

15. Hoytman

Hoytman

:rofl: :lol: I’m lucky to post a link.

Eric VW likes this.
  16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Added. LMK if you think of more…
    74AC3206-D1F4-4FBB-BC13-EE2C83633FCF.jpeg

wildwest likes this.
  17. Hoytman

Hoytman

I just got schooled. LOL!! That’s pretty sweet.

What is LMK? LOL! Or did you mean “link”?

18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Let me know.

19. jo191145

jo191145

Let Me Know.

on the t&g flues the only possible downside I can see is if a chimney fire starts higher up the flue the topmost flue expansion may crack the lower. Not saying this will happen or is likely. Just a concern I would like the engineers to hypothesize on.
    Beyond that the design should be great for people who burn wet wood to keep that liquid creosote inside the flue. Liquid creosote seepage through the flue joints is the cause of most house fires associated with chimney fires.

Sirchopsalot likes this.
  20. Hoytman

Hoytman

Ok...thanks.

Eric VW likes this.