In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Question for the pros about chaps

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Rickyblazin, Jan 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

Only owned one pair of hand me down apron style sthil chaps they worked out fine for the last year but got undermined recently when i burned a hole thru them with the muffler on my Homelite saw….the hole grew bigger and eventually the innards of the chaps started coming loose and then i noticed another tear on one the seems so i trashed em…my question is what are the best chaps what do the pros wear?

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

4. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

5. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:handshake:

If you need some [limited] help using the [limited] search function, lemme know. :yes:

7. Eckie

Eckie

Without researching I would say the more layers inside the better. Also suggest the ones that have a part of the chap that wraps around the lower leg, over the ones that just have the strap that fastens around.

I applaud you for wearing chaps, and I'm not joking or trying to sound like a smart azz when I say that. I can get on a bit of a soap box when it comes to chaps, they worked for me years ago. They are too cheap and too easy to wear compared to being nicknamed peg-leg, or bleeding out....

8. Rickyblazin

Rickyblazin

I made the decision to take chainsaw safety seriously and follow all the guidelines before having to learn the hard way….i know guys that never wear chaps or ear protection because their simply too lazy to put the chit on or maybe there thinking their a wizard with a chainsaw and making a wrong move is an impossibility….i don’t have respect for that type of confidence…i had one close call where the chain knicked the seem of a pocket on my cargo pants luckily the seem was thick n stopped the chain resulting in a small tear on the pants pocket…now i feel naked without chaps wont work without them..i will buy new pair tomorrow

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Eckie likes this.
  10. Erik B

Erik B

I have the Stihl chaps and they are the either 7 or 9 layer ones. They are a bit heavy and warm in the summer but better to be a bit uncomfortable than in the hospital or morgue.