In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Wedges

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by firecracker_77, Aug 14, 2014.

  1. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    DSC00331.JPG

    Um...may have gone a bit bigger than needed. If anyone needs to fall a 150 year old oak tree, I have the wedges for the job. :hair::rofl: :lol::startled:
     
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    And that is your color too
    You don't work for geico , do you ?
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  3. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I had the choice of yellow, orange, or green...not all were the same product. I figure I will see these...they are radioactive green.
     
  4. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    I like them... Where did you get them at?
     
  5. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    My go to is TreeStuff.com out of Indianapolis. No sales tax for you in OH...cheap prices, fast shipping. I prefer them over Bailey's
     
    Blue2ndaries likes this.
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    If those slide into your cut about an inch before you start whackin em in... they'll work fine and the larger size will make it harder to lose them... of course, you could just take your sunglasses off and go toward the blinding light to find em anyway... :D
    Mine are orange... :p
     
    papadave, mdavlee and firecracker_77 like this.
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I need a couple of those.
    Also could use a rope to pull trees, but not sure what I need there.
    Thanks for the link to TreeStuff.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I like the color. Just got a cell phone cover that color. At least I now have a better chance to find it, and to not sit on it.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  9. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    They sure do work gooder for bucking trees into logs I can pull in the winter. I used to get my saw pinched all the time without em.
    As for rope, I found what I use at a big marine supplier. Got one of them around?
     
  10. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    There's a marina about 20 minutes away right on Twin Lakes.
    Maybe they'd have something, but they're pricey.
    fc, what size are those? They look large-ish.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  11. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Those are 10 inch. I think they are too big, but I will still use them.
     
    papadave and Stinny like this.
  12. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Husqvarna instructor sets the wedge as he's finishing his bore cut...Just in case to lift the tree over or prevent the tree from sitting on the saw. Could only add 45 seconds to the process but will save grief.
     
    papadave likes this.
  13. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    My wedges are about 3/4"-1" at the big end. Those look like they're about 1-1/2".
    Yep, marine stuff is the good stuff.
     
  14. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    I have a large assortment of wedges from 6" to 12" triple tapers. They all have a purpose and get used when falling some that need lifting. I had to stack wedges twice knocking trees down in the front yard.
     
    papadave likes this.