In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Norwood PM14 sawmill - It begins

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Joe P, Aug 23, 2021.

1. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I am also in the process of doing a table myself.
    It will be a smaller pub height table with Oak slab top about 1 1/2 inches thick and bread-board ends.
    Even though it is a smaller table the concern of weight and being able to move it did come to mind and my thought of doing it so it can be assembled in place was what I was planning on.

Time for me to get working on it. I was looking for a fall-winter type project so time to get going !

2. Eckie

Eckie

And doorways! Even if you could lift up enough to move and bull it, odds of being able to flip/trun to get through a doorwaythall etc are probably slim. Unless the base and top are separate and assemble in place. Silly thing is we had thought about buying a similar table, but I had never contemplated those logistics till I built our table.

amateur cutter likes this.
  3. Joe P

Joe P

I appreciate the replies... I was thinking about making the top and bottom as separate pieces, and be able to set the base up and the drop the table top on it. I've always liked the timber frame type joints and was thinking about trying to incorporate those into the build as well some how. Especially where the joint is held together with a wedge. I'm sure there is a name for that. :) I figure I have at least two years to let this stuff dry out yet, so I have some time to contemplate my battle plan.

I need to build a router sled as well to plane these puppies down when they are done drying out.

amateur cutter, Mag Craft and Eckie like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Any pics Eckie ? Id love to see it. We milled some ERC (juniper) and i have yet to figure a use for it.

amateur cutter and Eckie like this.
  5. Eckie

Eckie

Ye
    Yeah, I should have a pic or 2 on phone, I'll find them

amateur cutter and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  6. Eckie

Eckie

7. Joe P

Joe P

WOW! that is freaking nice!! That is exactly the type of thing I have in mind!!

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

9. Eckie

Eckie

Thanks yall. It definitely has character.
    It's a hair over 7 feet long, and 37 3/4 in wide, didn't measure the height but it's close to whatever is "standard". The wife hates table legs in the way, so its a pedestal base. Was trying to figure out how to attach removable breadboard ends, but that project got sidelined.

10. Eckie

Eckie

buZZsaw BRAD, those are some good looking boards. I can see some of the saw marks in them. It was the same with our boards, and we wanted to keep that, so didn't plane the top. I used four boards, 2 different widths, and the different widths were different thicknesses. So took them to the guy who had sawn them (he's a carpenter/ woodworker) and had him plane what was going to be the underside. Then used a handheld rotary drum sander with a bristle "head" on the top. That knocked down the roughness, but saved the saw chatter marks for looks.

Not sure how long those boards are compared to dining table length, but some good character. I can definitely see some nice side tables, or even short bar tops.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

They were done on Buzz-saws band saw mill. I was thinking of turned cedar log legs. With knots and different wood color it would really stand out. I dont have a lather or any experience with one though.
    Here is the milling thread with the cedar.
    A Buffet at the Mill

12. Eckie

Eckie

Yeah turned legs would look good, the knots really make cedar shine. I really wanted to keep that fresh cut purple color, but all the reading that I did pretty much said that's gonna turn to a red. And depending on what you put on as to what kind of red...some turn it quite dark and kinda brown it up (from pics I found in articles online).

Another idea for legs would be natural cedar "pole" legs. Find a couple 5-6 inch diameter pieces (or whatever size suits the table) that are similar in taper, skin them and poly. Sometimes you find ones with lots of limbs, nooks, crannies and crevices. I think those would look good... I really would have liked to make a base out of large cedar stumps or pieces that had character, but when this mission came up I was pressed for time, so the pedestal out of dimensional lumber got the call.

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The logs were scrounged at random length and i put them aside never realizing id make friends with someone who owns a mill.

I could go perpendicular to the length rather than parallel. Our current table is 4x6' and a bit too big for the dining room. Boards run across. When i was married the ex and i owned a big house and it fit the dining room there. I spent a pretty penny for it and the hutch in 2001 (all solid oak with no plywood or particle board). Anniversary gift for her. When we parted ways she didnt want it and i wasnt selling it cheap or giving it away. I guess its sort of an heirloom now.

Just had to go downstairs and admire the drying cedar!

14. Joe P

Joe P

More oak... Boy, when the chain gets dull, it gets dull in a hurry and know matter how badly you want it to cut, it ain't gonna. Had to stop about 3/4 of the way thru my third pass and sharpen the chain.

Resized952021101795160506.jpg Resized952021101795160702.jpg

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looks like it was a nice board meeting! :doh: No back up chain Joe? Dull chain PITA for sure.

amateur cutter likes this.
  16. Joe P

Joe P

Nope, no back up. I can't find 105 DL xcut chain anywhere. Everyone is sold out that I can find. As soon as I find some, I'm buying a bunch. I'd buy reels of the stuff and make my own, but that is more equipment I have to buy....

amateur cutter and JB Sawman like this.
  17. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

JB Sawman from the site hooked me up with chains for my mill.

I did go with a ripping chain but what you want to run is up to you ; I know some say yes , others say no and some file or grind their own to their liking. That is completely up to you.

He might be a source that might be able to help you out if you want to give him a try.

amateur cutter and JB Sawman like this.
  18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I totally understand where you are w/ the oak and chain. My experience is similar. The saw slows down and starts drinking fuel. My strategy is to change loops. Square filing on the mill was next to impossible for me.

Did you happen to take any vids?

amateur cutter and Road-side Oak like this.
  19. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Joe P everyone is in the same boat it is tough to get anything I do have rip chain in stock if you need one JB

amateur cutter and buzz-saw like this.