In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

"Backyard Blacksmithing" pounding iron on the forge this evening!

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by blacksmith, Dec 18, 2016.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

Are you looking to keep the wheel intact in case someone wants to restore it or use it as a decorative piece?

2. BrianK

BrianK

Honestly if it is wrought iron, it has a lot potential in the hands of blacksmiths who use wrought iron in ornamental or artistic works. So I was actually considering cutting it up and selling it in flat pieces to blacksmiths by the pound.

I don’t know if we’d use it for anything more than a fire pit, to be honest.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol

Where it has damage already, I figured it was going to get cut. Nothing to lose IMO. Good luck, hope it is good material.

4. BrianK

BrianK

Ok, I have permission to cut a chunk of it and do some further investigation. And if it’s indeed decent wrought iron, I can cut it up and sell it, so let the games begin...

5. blacksmith

blacksmith

That's pretty cool tractor wheel Brian. I am sure that you can find something to make with that.

6. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That’s cool!
    Hope it works out to be something useable. It really makes you wonder what it was on and how it got to be there? Almost seems like it was a “tire” for a wooden spoke wheel or a wheel extension for an old traction engine.

7. fishingpol

fishingpol

Trying to get the gear ready for this weekend. This is a new to me post vise from marketplace a while back. 5 1/2" wide. Probably 80 lbs + I saved two cherry trunks, with this one weighing around 140 lbs and 34" tall. The physics just dont work with so much iron hanging off the front. I could bolt 2 x 6 PT legs like an engine lift, but I dont like tripping on anything.

It needs to be portable just around the yard. I have a larger diameter cherry, but it must be over 200 lbs, add the vise and forget it. I would need a PT 8" x 8" set in the ground for best solution. Metal tripod base is out for now. The cherry looked big in the woods, but not so much here.

20210504_184545.jpg

The mounting plate tip to the back leg is 10"

20210504_190025.jpg

I might just take out the smaller vise that is 65 lbs. I dont expect to beat anything real heavy. The cherry will loose water weight over time.

8. fishingpol

fishingpol

I finally set up a work bench in the barn and organized yard tools in there. I found part of a hinge that I made years ago and thought I could use it to hang the peavey.

A quick bend on the vise and fastened it to the post. There was an old forged ring higher up to hold the handle.

20210605_165303.jpg

20210605_165306.jpg

20210605_170023.jpg

20210605_165328.jpg

9. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Well I haven’t even looked at my forge in a long time, not sure about anyone else?!
    Anyhow, I like watching this guy and this episode is somewhat FHC related besides.

10. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I've been watching that Royer guy on the 'Tube, he makes some absolutely INCREDIBLE Damascus blades. That Excelsior sword he just made is absolutely unreal.

11. Scotty Overkill

I've been tinkering around late in the evenings after I get showered up with rope splicing as I sit by the fire.....

Gonna put this one through some testing to see if it's safe. The stitching is 20lb Robline (I think dyneema?) They use it for sailboat sails, rope spices and rigging. It's doubled over each stitch, so there's 40lbs per stich and probably 60 stiches.....equates to around 2400lbs)

20211203_093345.jpg

20211203_093350.jpg

Should be good for the 11.7mm Yale Poison Ivy ropes limit....

Knothead, J. Dirt, blacksmith and 4 others like this.
  12. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Interesting idea. I tried my hand at rope splicing when we had the sailboat. Definitely not a professional product but it did the job. Fortunately a human being wasn't dependent on my splicing, just a sail.

13. Scotty Overkill

I would never want to splice a rope for anyone else but me......

Great to hear from you, how's Mr. Campinspector?

14. BrianK

BrianK

Absolutely amazing.

Just curious - where does he get the money for such elaborate projects?

15. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

No clue! He’s got shops and business in Montana as well as the UK pretty busy guy! Somehow I believe he makes money off YouTube as well.

16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Mr. campinspecter is doing fine except that he can't wear hearing aids right now so I am allowed to yell at him. :D

17. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Was helping a friend with hauling away some metal scrap and found this in a throw away bucket. It is a 1 in. arbor, Plumb Anchor Brand hardy cleaver or hot cutter for an anvil. Unfortunately my anvil has a 3/4" hardy hole so it wont fit. I did save it from the scrap heap! It has inspired me to make some hardy tools for my anvil though. One tool will be a small cone mandrel and the next a hook bender. I have been doing some searches and it is fascinating to see all the hardy tools that smiths have come up with!

Attached Files:

blacksmith, HDRock, J. Dirt and 10 others like this.
  18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Nice save!

19. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

I was looking at your splicing again and realized that the way I did it was different. I unthreaded the ends and wove the ends back into the main part of the rope so you couldn't tell where it ended. I don't know what the weight bearing weight was though. Yours looks really strong.

20. Scotty Overkill

Yours was a spliced eye, mine was a sewn eye. Your method is ideal and requires tools called fids, I'd like to try that someday.