In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wok this way!

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Greenstick, Jan 17, 2021.

1. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Great use of a hose clamp ! I bet that would work perfect for me as well.
    " Note to self ; remember this "

2. JackHammer

JackHammer

I have a wok and love to cook with it. Mainly, I make healthier chinese food. I love take-out but I feel so terrible after I eat it, it makes more sense for me to cook it myself. School of wok on YouTube is great to learn how to use a wok.
    I have a wok ring but I found it just made it harder for me to control the pan. I also found that rocking the pan was a good way to flip the food that didn't need a lot of skill.

3. g60gti

g60gti

4. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Pulled the trigger on a Hillbilly Wok build. Had a couple old horse shoes laying around and had a friend weld them on and plug the arbor hole. Then took a grinder wheel after it, then as 36 grit flap disc, and next a 60 grit flap disc. Washed it good with soap and water. Then started the seasoning process on my fish fryer base by getting it warm and getting a blue oxide treatment on it then after that hit it with light coats of cooking oil and let it smoke and carbonize then hit it with another coat a few times. Looking forward to cooking in it soon. Wish I'd have thought to take pics through the whole process, but here are a few of the end product. Ignore the oil drips on the driveway from the seasoning process. ;) The light reflecting really shined on the pic of the bottom, the top is the same but just bad lighting. 20210417_172029~2.jpg 20210417_172122.jpg

5. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I did the same thing ; no horseshoes on mine , just a boring handle.

You are going to love that thing !

6. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

I was thinking about mongolian beef but your recipe is way different than ours. On occasions we will swap out hamburger for the beef stops we will use. We have an electric wok.

7. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Peanut oil. Flair point is higher. Heard that a lot or restaurants and burger joints use it for that reason.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Like yours, my Dad cooked alot, and wow could he make awesome meals in the wok. All those years on an electric stove.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Was that you talking about cooking with coconut oil on a different thread? What kind of oil do you use for stir fry?

Chazsbetterhalf and JackHammer like this.
  10. JackHammer

JackHammer

Yeah, that was probably me.

I use lard or tallow if I have it. If I don't, I will use coconut oil.

So from my understanding, if you heat oil and refine/process it a bunch, eventually, you create plastic(yes, this is a very simplified explanation). Peanut and vegetable break down similar to this process and become hydrogenated. This type of oil is very harmful to your health. The longer it cooks, the more it breaks down. The seasoning on your wok is also a version of this plastic.

Animal fats (also coconut and avocado oil) will have a high smoke point and won't break down so much. Ideally, you would want to cook on a low temperature but that doesn't go so well in wok cooking.

This oil thing is why I use my own wok instead of getting take out. I know takeout will use cheap soy or vegetable oil, and it has likely been in use for a long time. Also, they have cheap ingredients in general with high fructose and such.

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you Jack. The coconut oil I bought came in a tub, solidified. It liquifies with heat. Is that the kind you use?

JackHammer and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

Yep. There are different expeller processes but I don't know much about them, I just get whatever is organic. It comes in a big tub. In the summer, it turns to liquid, but that is because I don't have AC..!
    :stirpot:

Chazsbetterhalf and wildwest like this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:handshake:

And yes, the tub I bought is labeled organic :yes:

Chazsbetterhalf and JackHammer like this.