In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stack Depth

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Timbers Logging, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Timbers Logging

Timbers Logging

Stacking Question

Long story short - I’ve got a area where I bring all logs and process into firewood (Mid-West hardwood mix). Stacking on pallets and firewood will be top covered. I’ve started to put pallets tight in front of each other (East to West) - one area is four logs deep (normally I’m two deep) and this will be firewood for next year(s).
    I’m starting to get concerned that there will not be enough environmental (wind/sun) exposure for seasoning. The initial reasoning was to utilize the same lean-to roofing (yet to be built).

Can anyone comment for advise? Thanks.

2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

The more you can spread out, the better for the stuff you intend to burn next year. Future years can be in wider stacks but keeping the rain and snow out will be necessary to keep it from rotting. Keep wood that was already dead separate as that will likely dry quicker. Reference the drying time chart on this website and separate by species so you can stack the quick drying species together and the ones that take longer can be in another stack.. Got any pics? That would help with evaluation.. and welcome to FHC!!! You’re going to like it here and learn a lot!!

Here’s how I stack.. Wood cut 18” long. Two rows wide and 4’ between stacks. Works out well.

B5B03AE1-178D-424F-AC58-9B609DFB8FE5.jpeg

3. MAD777

MAD777

^^^^^
    Those look like my stacks, 5 ft. high, two wide.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I learned the hard way when multi tiering stacks. Wood will/may get moldy I had one year hickory and oak multi tiered and the inner stacks got moldy. Wood was tightly packed. I was able to relocate last Fall and discovered it. At the time i did this i was in a pinch for storage/stacking and did it without much thought. Lesson learned. Now i leave a space between them even if only an inch. The stack was in a shaded area too. I have another similar stack but gets mostly sun and more wind. Havent checked any as it was started last Spring.

5. mr.finn

mr.finn

I would definitely allow for some space between stack. For pallets depending on what size they are can you get a stack on the outside edges and allow space in between?

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I line mine up N to S and utilize 2 splits beside each other with a small space until the 4-5’ mark, then I lean them together. Any more than 2 imo would need some space between, like others have mentioned. Airflow is a very important aspect to your wood drying in a decent amount of time. I can get red oak to 15% and below in 3 years without issue. If you have a good wind flow, just leave a few inches and stack away. And post pics! :ithappened:

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I have never been concerned about stacking wood stacks next to each other and have never had a problem with the wood drying so long as there is a good top cover and it is not stacked tight against a building.

I think the biggest woodpile we've had was well over 20 rows stacked tight together. One thing I do is to stack just a bit loosely rather than packing it really tight. I think it helps.

Here are just a few.
    Christmas-2008a.JPG May 2014-e.JPG Wood-2009a.JPG Woodpile-1 2014.JPG Woodpile-2 2014.JPG

Thor, Stinny, Smaug and 19 others like this.
  8. Timbers Logging

Timbers Logging

Thanks to everyone for the advise and sharing their past lessons learned. I’ve got work to do spacing things out and make modifications to my stack plan but I’m glad we can haves these talks. Thank you!

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Glad to help TL! :salute:

Ive learned so much in the two years ive been a member. Great bunch of folks here.

10. Ou812

Ou812

Those sure are some nice stacks

11. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

The wood I have in stacks is two splits wide - splits are 17” long. Racks are above ground and top covered - see pics. It’s a compromise between adding stack stability and allowing for air flow for drying. DA8B10CC-C452-4DA8-8309-0EF4DA7CFD19.jpeg

Thor, Chud, Eric Wanderweg and 8 others like this.
  12. Haftacut

Haftacut

This hear, I am going to stack all my stuff two rows one pallet wide. Last year, I stacked a s much as 6 rows together if I remember right, and you definitely could tell a difference in the stuff exposed to wind and the rows on the inside. Also depends on your turnaround. When are you planning on burning it. I want it to dry as fast as possible.

13. Haftacut

Haftacut

Love the setup! Very nice:thumbs:

14. jo191145

jo191145

The top cover will be important. Made that mistake one year. Stacked a big square instead of rows and threw a big blue leaky tarp on it. Mold city.
    For the first time since I began stacking/throwing a big pile again. Had a double row of all Black Locust and was starting another with five feet in between. Then I got a triaxle load of more locust. I decided to toss loose in between the two stacks. I’m hoping I can burn the two stacks first and then let the loose stuff dry for a few more years later. It may get black but it won’t rot anyway.

15. Timbers Logging

Timbers Logging

8A88172E-D232-4D24-B00F-D77A3332719D.jpeg 95D8A95D-86F5-4C90-8009-3975FA743CD1.jpeg Update.
    As I hate to admit it, I touched my wood more than I wanted to. Hearing horror stories about mold/unseasoned firewood, I took a the afternoon and re stacked to allow more air flow between four rows of 18”.

In the first picture you can see my third row was directly behind the second. The second image there is a space of 1-2 foot. I’ll cover it later. Thanks everyone. Cheers.

Thor, Chud, Eric Wanderweg and 7 others like this.
  16. mr.finn

mr.finn

As much as that stinks to have to move it I think you did the right thing. Having wood packed tight together doesn't help it dry

17. rdust

rdust

Single rows, off the ground for me with enough room to mow from the seated position. I stacked multiple rows wide in the past and was not impressed with the results.

Road-side Oak and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  18. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

How tall do you go with yours and what length is the pieces?
    My 16” single row stacks seem to try to fall over as they age if I stack over 4 foot tall.

I think the two rows on pallets with the outer ends pulled out to the edge and leaned in to each other at the top 5 ft tall is the way I’m going to try next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    stuckinthemuck likes this.
  19. mr.finn

mr.finn

This is the way I do it and have not had a problem, I only go 4' high. I think having the pallets on a solid base is the key.

20. Warner

Warner

Anybody use sticks or 2x4’s cut to 4 feet to tie the two rows together when stacking on a pallet? I find it helps. I also lean the two stacks tword each other at the top.

Thor, Road-side Oak and Erik B like this.