In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Log ox

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by 460magpro, Jan 30, 2021.

1. 460magpro

460magpro

Have any of you used one I am considering getting one but would like some options first thank you in advance

2. MikeyB

MikeyB

Don’t own one but heard good things about it. The owner of Log Ox is a member of this site and has given Discounts to members of FHC in the past.

3. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

I have looked at them, never tried one, they are to expensive for me.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

I remember someone saying the long handle gets in the way.

I looked at one seriously; ended up just buying a pickaroon and am pleased. Paid $18 (-11%) some time back.

Forester™ 28" Pickaroon at Menards®

6. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

The LogOx seems expensive at first glance, but if you prices out log tongs, a cant hook and a stand it really isn’t. It is American made as well. Compare it to other quality American tools like Logrite, not Chinese knockoffs from Northern Tool

7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I have just the log lifter/carrier part of it , it is rather handy lifting logs on to the splitter or carrying around some logs.
    Don't use it all the time since I got the splitter with the log lift but it still has it's place.

8. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I absolutely love my forester 17” or 18” i never bend over now for splits or snaller rounds

9. 460magpro

460magpro

Well I just ordered the log grabber I think should work well

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Looking forward to an unbiased review of it. :handshake:

460magpro and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  11. iowaMallard

iowaMallard

I am very happy with mine. It works just as advertised. I got the kit with the pickeroon.

12. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

Well, I just joined, so will write my first review, I guess...

I saw the Log Ox online and ended up buying one, plus all the attachments a year ago or so. Log Ox, log stand, long handle for leverage, pickaroon, and belt holder. I think it's a package deal on their website. The basic Log Ox is great; I can't say enough good things about it. The attachments are kind of like those multi-tool pliers. Handy to not carry around one tool, rather than a toolbox full of tools, but I would never use the multi-tool piers when I have a real pliers with me. Or knife of screwdriver, etc. But, because I don't have a log stand, cant hook, or pickaroon, I do use the attachments occasionally.

Log Ox: Since I got it, I do not get the log splitter out without the Log Ox. In fact, I use it so much that I just got done welding a couple of pegs on my log splitter to hold it, so I don't have bend over to pick it up whenever I get a new round. I am thinking of ways to mount it on my trailer as well, so that I always have it with me with I'm cutting wood. The Log Ox is a bit situational... For lifting it grips anything between 4 and 15 inches. Bigger than that, and it will still grip for rolling and dragging, but not for lifting a round when my feet are the first thing the round will fall onto. (That's a guess on the lower end; I don't have any rounds to test with just now.) For splitting wood of that size, it completely removes the bending over to pick up any rounds. I also use it for gathering, pulling rounds into a pile to split later, loading them into the ATV trailer, and just wrangling them to cut. I no longer have to bend over to pick them up or roll them. What I can't pick up, I can generally drag with it, if it's under maybe 20", and it's super handy for dragging a round uphill, if I'm cutting in a ditch. For the smaller stuff, I pick it up and fling it, or pick it up and put it under my arm, allowing me to carry a couple of smaller pieces under one arm, and carrying another with the Log Ox. I also use it for moving logs before they are cut to rounds, either rolling them, or dragging what I can. I cut my rounds to 18", but if I'm getting wood from somewhere other than my property, I cut them to 36" because I can fit more in the pickup, and then cut them in half when I'm home. The Log Ox is handy for tipping up the 36" pieces on end, to get into the truck, or for dragging them to the truck. Sure beats rolling them to the trail.

Long Handle: The Log Ox works as a cant hook. The long handle gives you the leverage you need to make that work for heavier logs. Same multi-tool issue applies. It works, but I'd pick up a real cant hook for the job if I had one with me. But it is nice to have around in a pinch. I do use it a bit more than the log stand, because I do have to roll logs sometimes.

Log Stand: I live in SW Michigan, on a sand dune. The tool has the leverage to roll heavier logs than the sand will support, and the log stand just sinks in or pushes the sand. Not very useful for me, but handy to have around once in a while. You need the long handle for the leverage to do this, in my opinion.

Pickaroon: It works, but I can't say I've used a pickaroon more than once or twice in my life, so I don't have a great comparison. I choose to split and throw direct into the trailer, or else split by the wood pile, so just don't have a great need for a pickaroon. I'd guess a real pickaroon would work a bit better. Someone mentioned buying a pickaroon instead; the Log Ox is more for handling rounds, I don't think I'd use to to pick up split pieces.

Belt Holder: This did not work for me. The Log Ox was just too heavy for my belts. Maybe if I did the suspender thing, it would work. I chose to weld the pegs on the log splitter instead.

Bottom line, it feels expensive, but I do not think you will regret getting one of these.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Aje1967, Stlshrk, Baldhornet and 12 others like this.
  13. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Welcome to the club.

I did similar to what you did by making a hook on the log-tray for splitter and hang the log-ox there so as not to have to bend over.
    A little pricey but a nice tool to have.

Hope you enjoy it here.

14. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I have the kit. And it’s been a good buy in my opinion.
    I think I’m going to put a couple of pegs also on my splitters to keep it off the ground.
    My current way to use it if I’m not splitting off the trailer is to pick up one round on the carrier and pickaroon another for a balanced carry to the splitter. Sling the pickaroon Round on the spitter and leave the carrier and round leaning against the wheel next to me. Then sling that one up after the first one.
    I split into the tractor bucket, wood pile, totes so don’t use it then much.
    One big use is when scrounging in the truck or I cut a tree up where I can’t get the tractor right up to is to carry two at a time the same way from ground to tractor/truck.

I need to get the holster out and give it an honest try. I haven’t used it yet either.

I really like the bag it came in. I throw a 2n1, couple of wedges, scrench, and stump vise in with gloves along with the log ox system.
    Works as a carry in/out when away from vehicle with chainsaw in one hand and it in the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  15. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

16. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

I used pegs, rather than just welding a piece of steel on, thinking that it would be easier to grab the Log Ox with gloves on. That idea seems to have worked out alright, because my gloved hand fits between the pegs. Basically, it was a trade off... A piece of steel cut to fit would be stronger, but less convenient for picking the tool back up. I'm not 100% sure that I won't break a peg someday, though.

One change I would make if I did it over would be to try to bend the pegs in a bit. My pegs fit the Log Ox nearly perfectly, which holds it securely, but forces me to be precise when setting the Log Ox on them. If I had bent them in at maybe a 20-30 degree angle or so, I could hang the Log Ox with less precision, and the Log Ox would "ride" down the pegs if I was a little bit off. Not sure if that is a good way to put it, so let me try another way to phrase it. It would be the difference between hanging the Log Ox with my peripheral vision, vs. having to focus on that task for a second.

Anyways, that's the next idea in the process for me, but not sure if I will re-do the pegs to get there.

460magpro likes this.
  17. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I've had the forester kit for a couple years now. When I would go out scrounging, I brought chainsaws, a peavey, a timberjack, etc., and it seemed the LogOx would cut down on too many tools as well as saving my back from continuously bending over. I used it a lot when I first got it, and carried it with me both in the truck and on the ATV (as shown in the picture). I don't use it as much any more but it still comes in handy (I usually scrounge with just the saws, peavey and a pickaroon now). When my back is acting up though, it is nice to have and cuts down on constantly bending over. A friend with MS and a bad back purchased one after seeing mine and he swears by it.

DSC00754.JPG

18. SammyWhammy

SammyWhammy

Looks like I’m going to get the 3 in 1 for Valentines Day. I bent my Tumbertuff this year trying to move a massive Bur Oak and was in the market for something new. I think the FHC code still works at checkout for $15 off. Thank you for the reviews and discount code.

The Wood Wolverine and SloMoJoe like this.
  19. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I like your scrounging rig.:yes:
    Cool to go out and cruise around and get a little work in at the same time.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Welcome to the FHC iowaMallard :handshake: great to have you join us.

MikeInMa and iowaMallard like this.