In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood Prices?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Chud, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Chud

Chud

I was charging $60 for a Tacoma bed of wood and stopped getting call backs. I charged 50$ for a Tacoma bed, but that feels like I’m giving it away.
    My buddy in a rural county says he can only get 50 for an s10 bed load of wood.
    The wood I sold was personal use inventory, so it was all seasoned hardwood no junk.
    I’ve seen some of the YouTubers sell same day split ash for a bunch of $.
    What would y’all say is a reasonable asking price for a Tacoma load of premium wood?
    I also have an 01 f150. What would be a fair price for f150 load.
    I’ve seen local ads for full size pickup loads ranging from $70-90 and that seems too cheap.
    If you had a commercial machine or crackhead splitting for you maybe $80 is making money.
    I was wheelbarrowing and stacking for a customer paying $60 for the Tacoma. I don’t get it. Just figured they found something cheaper.
    I had a customer with a Nissan Frontier charged them 50 to load themselves and gave them extra shorts no charge. Didn’t return.
    Am I in an area with too many people selling for cheap, or do I think my wood is too valuable?

2. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I sell Ranger or S-10 beds of ash for $60. For a fullsize 6.5 ft bed $65. And $75 for 8 ft bed.
    That's loosely thrown level with the bed rails.

3. farmer steve

farmer steve

I get $60 for a bin of dry ash. 1/4 cord. They haul, I help load. 1/3 cord is $80 and 1/2 cord is $100. They haul. I have several bins and racks empty that need filled when I can get some time. I've cut out delivery to all but 2 senior customers. If you are in no hurry to sell Chud, wait till colder weather and raise your price $15-20. How are you advertising? Good luck.

4. Chud

Chud

I don’t advertise. Just word of mouth. I didn’t have enough wood to advertise, but my stacks are growing to a point where I could sell more. Maybe a few cold snaps will change things.

5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

$250.00 per cord of hardwood delivered & dumped within 10 mile radius. $ 1.50 per mile after that. That's a 6X12 dump trailer with 3' sides loosely thrown, stacks out to just over a cord. You'll have to do the math on your truck bed.

6. John2020

John2020

225-250.00 for a cord of seasoned oak in central illinois
    extra $25.00 for delivery up to 25 miles.

7. jrider

jrider

Maybe they haven’t returned because they still have wood left. Many people don’t think or plan too far into the future. They figure, I will call him again when I run out

8. Dumf

Dumf Banned

180 cu feet loose thrown of quality green CSD hardwood ( hard maple, yellow birch, beech, no oak ) = $250. Downeast Maine.
    We get 2 cords to supplement the lower BTU species on the woodlot ( paper birch, red/soft maple, spruce, fir, some ash ).

9. SpeedShop64

SpeedShop64

I charge $65-$70 per face cord of good seasoned hard wood. Price varies on where I'm delivering to but most places are within 10 miles. I do not advertise and it is all word of mouth. I've had people tell me my firewood is the best burning wood they've ever had. I do not sell anything that I would not burn. My theory is give them a good quality product at a reasonable price and it will pay off in the end.

10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The locale would dictate the price, IMO.

Supply and demand

11. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

What size bed is on your F150?
    We have 5 1/2 bed, holds a full face cord stacked.
    This is a $80-85 load. All oak. She wants it for fire pit...:picard:...she paid top price
    1102201029_HDR.jpg This is a $100 load of hickory, pecan and cherry for my smoking customer. 1029201610_HDR.jpg

12. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Why wood anyone need or want good firewood for a firepit ?:emb:
    Stihl don't get what a face cord really is.

13. farmer steve

farmer steve

My edumacated guess on a face cord is 4Hx8Lx whatever haphazard unmeasured lenght it is cut. YMMV.

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

You are right, some folks call it a rick. 1/3 cord, except most of our wood is 18"

15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I STIHL keep my customers happy. She didn't seem interested in saving $$, so I will STILL take her oak if she wants it.

16. yooperdave

yooperdave

upload_2020-11-14_9-50-52.jpeg

17. billb3

billb3

Maybe she just wants premium firewood for the same reason she might choose a Lexus over a Camry. Maybe she likes to get a fire going and then not have to mess with it . Hey some people will pay extra for cherry wood for a fire pit just because they like the smell.
    Maybe they're buying things they can or can't afford to impress people that really don't GAF about them. Maybe not.
    I like pine and having to mess with the fire more often. My choice. For me. It's not right nor wrong. Just my choice/application of rationale.

18. billb3

billb3

Decide what your wood/time/efffort is worth.
    Offer it at that price.
    Unless you absolutely need the money today, you can always decide to have an ad serving the market in Jan/Feb and when your stock is gone be sold out.

19. Funonahonda

Funonahonda

I sell a face cord of firewood for $65.00 Central Ohio

20. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Not "always" right. Consumer or corporate customers can sometimes be well off the wall with demands.
    LL Bean stopped their "unconditional returns" policy years ago because too many took advantage like my bro in Nevada.
    He'd buy LL long underwear in the Fall, wear the hell out of it all winter ( he's a fattie :eek:), then return the underwear as defective in the Spring.:emb::emb:
    Then there's Patagonia with their "Ironclad Warranty", unconditional for all their gear. Our 20 + year GoreTex rain gear, used hard year-round, lost its waterproofness.
    They exchanged the tops for one of their newer shell WITH free shipping without any fuss. No charge.:handshake::handshake:
    And you guys selling CSD wood in any amount work too hard to give it away.