In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Thanks! I was having trouble locating that post...that nickname, "the pig" helped me nail it down! :rofl: :lol: :handshake:
    Here ya go Eric Schamell
    Outdoor boiler total saved.

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Wow!!! You might be the lukyst guy here! That is a lot of crap to get out. I do hope you now make it a habit to clean annually.

Good luck!

3. Backwoods Savage

Going to PT today. We'll see how that goes.

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I finally made the time to play duck Van Dyke and got up on the roof today to clean out my stack. I had my first fire of the season yesterday and wanted to clean it beforehand, but I kept telling myself that tired old lie "just one more" LOL. Anyway it's done. One less thing to worry about. In the room where my wood stove is there's a vent on the ceiling leading upstairs to help circulate the heat throughout the house. Whoever installed it put the fan UPSTAIRS at the other end of the vent, instead of on the ceiling in the room with the wood stove. So basically with that fan running, it's barely pulling the heat upstairs as it's too far away from the heated room below. Time to relocate it at ceiling level downstairs. I do have an old exhaust fan that used to be in my mother's kitchen that she threw away. It's a little loud but that thing pulls some serious air. I might try installing that since I've got it and plenty of romex to wire it in. Also debating adding an outside air kit to my stove because that's another easy cheap upgrade to my setup. Always room for improvement.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It should move about the same amount of air no matter which end of the duct it's on...but it will be noiser wherever it's moved.
    What size is the duct? A 6" doesn't move a ton of air...

6. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

It's an 8 inch duct. I don't know, the current fan is on a reostat and with it all the way up it's barely moving anything. It's quiet enough but essentially non-functional.

Unless there's something wrong with the reostat and it's not reaching high enough RPM?

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah an 8" should move some air...still not a tornado, but air movement non the less...might be a really cheap fan too...some are better than others for sure.
    Probably what they call "fan in a can" duct booster...might be worth checking to make sure the fan blade isn't just spinning on the shaft too...or could need the bearings lubed...those are really low horsepower motors and I've seen the bearings dry and full of dirt, would barely turn...blow it out and some lube in the right spot (takes disassembly) good as new!

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Thanks, that's sound advice. Tinkering is free too :) If I can get away with a little overhaul vs. an install, I'll give it a go.

9. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Hope all went well today.

10. Backwoods Savage

Eric, keep in mind that one of the hardest things to do with air is to try to move warm air into cool air. The simplest thing to remember is that cool air is more dense than warm air. For a good example of that is to keep in mind airplanes depend upon lift and they always get better lift in cool to cold air. On the opposite end, airports have been shut down when it is too hot simply because of not enough lift.

Of course we are not at such an extreme inside the home but the principle is still the same. This is why it works for most folks to use a simple, small fan, like a desktop fan running at the lowest speed and sitting on the floor (where air is coolest) toward the far end of the house (where it is the coolest and where you want the warm air to go) and aim that fan toward the stove room.

When I first heard about this I doubted it. Yet, I had to experiment and I was amazed at how well this works. It really does for most people. However I know of one person who claimed it did not work but believe me, that was a very low percentage of negative reports. On the other hand, we've made a lot of folks happy to have a warmer home with such a simple fix.

11. Backwoods Savage

Thanks Al. Just a bunch of measuring stuff and paper work today. Thankfully I'm not scheduled for many appointments.

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

x2 Eric Schamell . Also use that concept Dennis taught me in our living room/kitchen, I have a knock off Vornado fan on the floor of our living room pointed to the ceiling, takes the cold air on the floor up to hot air by ceiling and warm air comes down.

13. lukem

lukem

Got the radiant heater reinstalled and refilled in the bathroom....heating system is good to go for winter now.

Started planning down some red elm boards for the bathroom vanity build but didn't get done. I need a bigger/better planer. Should be able to finish them before work tomorrow then start putting things together tomorrow evening.

Chazsbetterhalf, mat60, Horkn and 9 others like this.
  14. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'm gonna need to give the chimney a brushing too. Wife wont let me do roofs, so I do it bottom up. Only problem is that the cleanout is under my side porch, and I have to crawl in, then where the cleanout is I have maybe 2' of clearance. Its A LOT of fun! Better than paying a sweep to come out though.

15. Backwoods Savage

I'll bet my wife will be checking our chimney soon. At least she has finally learned we don't have to clean ours every year like we used to.

16. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I do mine from inside too. No way I can even get to my cap with the extreme pitch of the roof and the flue at the low end of the roof. I find it easy enough that I wouldn’t go on the roof to do a clean out even it was a flat roof. It’s getting colder here so I’ve got to do it soon.

17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Yeah, I know mine will be clean enough, but since her dad asked last winter if we clean it, its been on her mind because she remembers a chimney fire as a child.

18. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

We started talking about putting an addition on the house this morning. I will probably have them dig a basement storage room to replace a shed, and then it will be easy to clean the chimney!

19. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

That is a good idea. It’s bad enough we have to clean them in the first place, but making it as easy as possible helps.

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

During my absence this summer, I (we) picked up s smart phone each. Man, do I ever despise that dang bundle of technology! But, it sure does take nice pics.