In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Meet lil Red

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Chud, Sep 6, 2020.

  1. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    This is my custom built splitter that I’ve been using for about 4yrs. I have always split vertical because of big rounds and I’d rather sit than stand. Prior to the custom unit I was using a Speeco 17ton with a 5hp Briggs and that thing took too long to make a little bit of firewood.
    The custom splitter has a 13hp powertrain and about 13ton of splitting power. It increased my splitting production 2-3x, so I have been very pleased with it. I like the extra big foot the most, because it makes splitting big rounds easier. It’s easy to spin and slide around big chunks. The hydraulic horizontal to vertical is a must with the big foot.
    Had to put a new battery in her this morning before splitting. Taking a little lunch break before heading back out. I got an empty rack that needs to be filled and than I’ll have an excuse to make some more racks. :dex:

    post up your machines, I want to see what y’all are using!
    0AB90DE4-A470-4962-A46A-63C4421B4811.jpeg C6C7FCF6-E407-425A-91D4-543B777AFEA4.jpeg 76D9504C-BFA6-4E6D-99A5-441DB3CB030C.jpeg
     
  2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2015
    Messages:
    12,546
    Likes Received:
    61,489
    Location:
    Taconic Range
    does the big foot come off for horizontal ?
     
  3. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    No it’s a permanent fixture.
     
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,856
    Likes Received:
    121,400
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Do you have tractor hydros for getting big rounds close? I’d hate to be bent over splitting every piece, or leaning around to get them close. I tried vert twice and that was it for me. I noodle big pieces to a manageable size so I can stand upright.
    Nice rig. It looks very well done. :yes:
     
  5. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    No I move the splitter to wherever the rounds are. I have a Ford 2000, but it doesn’t have a loader. Rolling big rounds onto the foot ain’t to bad. I have learned to park it downhill from the wood piles so I get gravity’s help. My little swivel stool also helps with maneuvering wood onto the foot and it’s not too much for the back and knees. I’ve had plantar fasciitis in both feet, so I like being off my feet, especially since my job keeps me on them all day everyday.
     
  6. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    A closer pic of the swivel stool. Probably couldn’t see it since it’s camo. ;)
    2436902A-99DA-4B43-A1DB-55FF35CBE507.jpeg
     
  7. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,756
    Location:
    KC Metro
    So the little cylinder lifts up that foot & Plate? Nice...
     
  8. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    Yes, thanks for noticing.
     
  9. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,434
    Location:
    Ct
    Well done. I split horizontal myself. The big foot is really nice. One of the reasons I hated vertical sp,it ting is the big rounds tend to slide off the small foot. Or are just too difficult to get on the small foot.
    I have Plantar Fascitist (spelling) myself. I can’t sit very well. Get massive leg cramps from sitting so it’s always horizontal for me.
    You built that up yourself?
     
  10. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,495
    Likes Received:
    188,766
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Very nice. I used to split everything vertical, but it finally got to our (my hunny helps) back and hips. Had to go horizontal mostly. We made ramps to roll/stack rounds on. For the big rounds, we have an older splitter set up vertical with a pipe frame to slide the rounds on. Use the tractor for the rounds that don't roll well.
    Ramps on the 30 ton splitter 0417202020a.jpg
    Pipe platform with the 25 ton splitter 0421201023.jpg My hunny splitting 28"-30" oak 0421201004_HDR.jpg Tractor handling 38" oak. 0722202153.jpg
     
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
     
  12. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    my best friend builds splitters. Gas, hydro, electric.
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Some good ideas there and a nice job of building.

    I am curious though as this is the first time I've seen anyone sit on the side while splitting rather than directly behind.

    I remember one fellow trying to chastise me saying that for sure I would pay dearly when one of those hard spliter would suddenly fly out and could even break my leg. Wrong, and that is one reason I sit facing the spliter. Yes I've had a few fliers but the had nothing to hit going sideways.

    I like the little chair.
     
  14. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    It seems like a natural position to me. My rounds are piled up at the foot, so it’s a matter of turn right to grab another. A pickaroon will make this step easier. Never had anything blow out sideways on me. It’s crossed my mind, but I don’t think this splitter has enough force to make exploding wood. It’s more about speed, so it’s not going shear through, or bust big knots. I’m a tree worker, so I’m bringing home fairly clean logs. I cut out big crotches and knots before the wood comes to my house.
     
  15. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    I toss the splits behind me or straight out and the area in front of the splitter stays clear for rolling more rounds down to the foot.
     
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Evidently it works well for you. :yes:
     
  17. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    Looks like a rugged unit.
     
    amateur cutter, T.Jeff Veal and Chud like this.
  18. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    It’s held up well for the most part. It’s not a splitter where you can pick up the tongue and push to the next pile.
    With one offs you are doing your own r&d, so the weak spots show up. I broke the foot off and took it back to get a heavier base plate and more weld added. I’m on sloping terrain so the beam and foot are almost always slightly tilted back so the bigger rounds are putting a bunch of prying force on the foot.
     
    T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  19. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,254
    Likes Received:
    54,040
    Location:
    NC
    Processing a big White Oak.
    4AA2187A-11C3-4FBB-8D2E-1AD4B4410921.jpeg
     
    T.Jeff Veal and Chvymn99 like this.
  20. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,495
    Likes Received:
    188,766
    Location:
    Country life, Ga