In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

White Birch Swedish Torches.

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Aug 30, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Scrounged some 7-8" diameter white birch yesterday. Rather than make them into firewood, i decided to make ST out of them. Im thinking of 12" lengths with six slots. Any advice to keep them clean and mold free until they are dried for selling. Ive seen them for sale in front of stores in big box stores etc.
    Any insight helpful. IMG_2983.JPG

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Keep them inside, away from any moisture.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I would think those are pretty small diameter rounds to make torches out of...not as stable standing up, and maybe need to use a narrow kerf saw? I think 8" would be my minimum diameter...of course I guess going shorter will help with stability.
    I agree with keeping them inside, or at least making sure they stay good and dry...probably want to cut to length soon, and then go ahead and make the 2 cuts down through right away too since you wont be able to unzip the bark to begin the drying...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Brad, I saw some yesterday that only had 2 slots- kind of in a “V”.... roughly same diameter as yours.

5. JimBear

JimBear

I have made some as small as 5”- 6” @ 16” long & didn’t have any trouble with them falling over. I use an x-cut on anything under 6” up to 8”. Some of the 8” got notched to 6 pieces over 10” to 8 pieces. It’s an experimental process.
    9264A049-D89E-4DD7-92B2-8003932F469B.jpeg

I gave the pictured bunch to a friend & he said they all burned great even the oblong one at the right.

I would agree with brenndatomu to get them cut to length soon to start the drying. The ones I made that were not quite dry pinched in at the top while drying so I had to pry them open & put little rocks in them to keep them open. Maybe the birch won’t do this, I don’t know.

I like to leave my uncut ones outside in the sun but they are Elm, Cherry & Ash. The Cherry I recently cut I am going to debark to assist with the drying process & move inside over the winter. I am considering using an old bit I have to drill a 1” hole in the center to help the drying process also. I am hoping they will be decent for next summer & thinking the pleasant aroma will be a nice addition

If you move yours inside maybe have a fan running on low for them just for a bit air flow for the drying process.

Also the Elm I made some out of apparently wasn’t quite dry as they hissed while burning. They lit easily but had a wet spot under the base as the moisture seeped out.

I think your white birch ones will look great & hopefully they dry well & sell great.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The first ones I seen had a 1" hole through the log at the bottom of the cut for air intake...but the cut up through was also plunge cut, not through like most...looked like a pain to cut, but burned really well!

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think that might be the Swedish torch whereas the Swedish candle has the slots all the way through.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I didn't know there was a difference...

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The intake hole makes it burn like a torch. Without it burns more like a candle hence the names. Ive only made a couple of the candles out of spruce.
    Im going to cut them in 12" lengths. Maybe plunge cut with the 170 (if it will) so slots dont go through the bark. Im keeping bark on for appearance. Ive seen similar ones for sale in front of stores with the plunged cut grooves. I wish they were bigger but beggars cant be choosy...neither can scroungers!

10. JimBear

JimBear

I was thinking the same thing, just regional lingo being the difference.

11. JimBear

JimBear

Thank you for the clarification.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

13. Warner

Warner

14. jo191145

jo191145

I just bought the drills and extension to make some of the torches. More of a rocket stove. Was in the drill section of the local Ace and said why not.
    Personally I don’t have much faith in these particular drills. It’s a 1 1/4” auger bit supposedly designed for fast cutting. But it only has that normal hex shaped shaft like the screw bits use. Can’t imagine it will take the abuse.
    Really should hunt down an extension for my Forstner bit collection.
    Brad, A light bleach on the skin before selling would make them designer pieces ;) Maybe even a fresh cut on the top to get rid of any Patina.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

:popcorn:

Midwinter, jo191145 and brenndatomu like this.
  16. billb3

billb3

17. jo191145

jo191145

Funny!! :)
    But correct. If Brad is smart he’ll drive them down towards Stamford and sell em for $30 a pop.