In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Help cleaning 31’ of Duravent with two 45 degree elbows

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by FreedomFamilyFarms, May 9, 2020.

1. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

I went to clean my 6” pipe today for the first time since I’ve had the Jotul connected. I have 3/8” fiberglass rods and a Rutland 6” poly brush from the farm store. I got into one of the elbows and felt like I had to apply way too mush force so I called it quits for the day.

What do I need to clean this properly? Softer brush? Nylon rods?

Thanks in advance!

wildwest likes this.
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I'd go with a soot eater system from the bottom up. With using a drill, it will go through those off sets easier. You could try to rig a rod with a drill attachment if you have an extra one around too.

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  3. FreedomFamilyFarms

FreedomFamilyFarms

Soot eater is magic. Thanks for the recommendation!

4. chris

chris

Soto eater and elbows,, Make real sure that each snap joint is properly in place- I lost 4 rods up my flue on the off side of the off set. I had just the rod set up the flue with out the wacker end on it. Prior there seemed to be something impeding the passage of the head- hence rods only, did not count the # of rods when I pulled it back out. fast forward and a couple fires later I hear what sounds like creosote dripping. and a bit later sounds like stones rattling down. Attacked things a couple days later when everything gone out - hmpph insulation boards do not want to come out ( nc30) well those 4 rods up the flue melted and welded the insulation boards together as well as lightly anchoring them to the back of the burn chamber. Insulation boards removed in several pieces. trip to local kiln builder/repair place for a piece of KO wool type H board. back in business. also have to get another soot eater for more rods as my flue is also apx 30+ feet. Must have been one section that the lock wasn't seated properly. Whole reason for this event was draft seem to real lazy- this back when it was still fairy cool out with lows in the 20's at night. Oh, and the clunking was the rod ends falling down. Those rods will burn when liquefied at apx 1100 degs.F as I was getting some weird little flames at the reburn tubes at the joint between the 2 boards ( reason for thinking creosote) burned a bout a cord of dead standing ASH this winter that I got in early Fall. So figured it wasn't quite dry enough. Marginal at apx. 20% on el-cheapo meter. yes fresh face after being in house for a day. Could kinda feel moisture when slicing it open on Band saw. My Challange this past season was everything was pretty soaked from driving rain and then freezing - stacking several cords in basement helped some but not a lot. If I remember I will snap a pic of the mess.

5. chris

chris

pics of the melted cleaning rods - you can see the connectors in the mess as well - at least one set still coupled

Attached Files:

• 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      275 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      288.6 KB
      Views:
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Drop a rope with a weight to the bottom and attach your brush, pull through.

jtstromsburg likes this.
  7. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

This is what I do. Previous owner had the setup and left it for me. I assumed it wouldn’t work well so bought some rods and a different brush. Struggled a lot the couple years I used the rods and finally thought, hmm, maybe I should try his way. Lo and behold it worked much better, faster, and safer for my setup. Half an old window weight and some heavy cord with a brush and more cord. For top down, it seems great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  8. chris

chris

for me very steep roof and I do not bounce any more just go splat should I come down incorrectly. 2 fractures and a sprain the last time around ( different location and job.). So top down is not advisable for my self.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  9. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

I take an old pair of jeans, cut one of the legs off, fill it with golf balls or something else smooth but heavy, wire tie the ends, attach rope to one end and drop it down the pipe. Pull it up and down a few times and the chimney is clean. This is done from the roof but I do both of my chimneys like this every year.

MikeInMa likes this.
  10. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

Here is a picture of my golf ball blue jean cleaning device Chimney Cleaner.jpg