In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

HeatMaster vs Crown Royal

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by P51DAce, Jan 14, 2020.

1. JCMC

JCMC

I hadn't heard new/updated models but I will have to check in on that. I wonder what the upgrades will be?

2. Kimberly

Kimberly

Might can play each dealer against the other; letting both know that you are looking at each different unit and tell them up front you think both are good units so it is going to come down to price and service and see what they offer.

3. Creekin

Creekin

Choosing a dealer is important for not only pricing but after sales service as it is with any large purchase

This weekend I had planned to do a thorough cleaning of my g400 and discovered a water jacket leak that would make alot of the flyash turn to mud

Contacted a dealer ( not where purchase was made) and he mentioned it to the local dealer to get something figured out with heatmaster
    Hope to hear something tomorrow on repairs
    I'll let you all know what comes of it

4. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Hope it goes well sir.

5. JCMC

JCMC

Yes please keep us informed.

6. lukem

lukem

Where was the leak located?

7. Creekin

Creekin

Leak is just above the flues right at the corner of the smoke bypass door 20200208_113559.jpg

8. Creekin

Creekin

I was having some issues this burn season, felt like air flow through the boiler was off, sounded different

I added water at initial fire up not thinking anything about it, but every week or two adding about a 5gal pail full

Now it seems like 2 5gal pails a week or so

At first i thought it would be a leak in my shop floor but couldn't find anything, was then thinking my underground lines. My thoughts were that much water should show itself
    Fast forward to Saturday, getting ready to rip everything apart to clean all passages and discovered muddy ash buildup on top

Talked to the local dealer today as he's been in touch with heatmaster, says i need to phone the general manager there tomorrow

Farmchuck likes this.
  9. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

How old is the unit?

10. Creekin

Creekin

This is the 4th season for me, bought it used from local dealer so not sure

11. Creekin

Creekin

This morning I talked to heatmaster, looks like in the next while they are going to send a mobile welder out to my place to repair the leak, I'm happy with that.
    Must say that customer service is top notch!

Farmchuck likes this.
  12. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

This is good news.:thumbs:

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

Back in the 90's, with my first OWB (central boiler), I too discovered a leak. It was right at the point of one of the "stay pins" that keep the inner firebox jacket away from the outer water jacket box.

Called Central, sent some pics for verification and they authorized a local welder to come out for the repair. It took the guy longer to set up than the actual repair! :picard:

Sent the bill in for re-imbursement and never had any further problems with it. Easy to talk to and great CS also.

Glad you're getting it taken care of.

Creekin and farmer rob like this.
  14. Jon_E

Jon_E

Ooh I'm late to this thread. Didn't see myself tagged. Yes I have a Heatmaster G200. Installed January 4 2017, so I'm most of the way through my third season. It replaced a Central Boiler CB5648 which was installed in 2004, brand new, lasted 10 years before it started leaking, was putting 100 gallons of water in it every week when I finally decided enough was enough. Won't say anything bad about Central Boiler, though they deserve it, but I would rather go back to burning oil or propane than ever have to deal with CB again.

The G200 has had some problems, mostly minor, but a couple of things were or are annoying and I have had to come up with my own solutions. They have changed and updated their line every year since I bought mine, so a 2020 model is significantly improved over the one I have. I heat 4300 sf of house, 800 sf of garage, and all my domestic hot water from October through April at this point. Before 2019, I was burning wood 24/7/365 because I had no backup heat source, now I have a hybrid electric heat pump water heater that costs me pennies to get hot water from during the summer.

If I were to do it all over again? I would still consider Heatmaster, they are still solid units and they have been pretty good with parts and dealer support. However, I would be looking really hard at Crown Royal, they seem to be the top dog lately and for good reason, they are high quality boilers, they have good support, and I have not read about a single complaint with their boilers. I'm going to get a good look at them at the Northeast Forest Products Equipment show in Essex VT in May, so I'll have a better education on their quality and function.

I went from burning 12-14 cords of wood per year, to about 8, and this year I think I'm on track for a bit less than 8. So far to date, I am through about 6-1/2 cords of wood and have about 3-1/2 cords in reserve so I am good until things start to warm up. When daytime temps start averaging in the 60's, that's it for the season.

brenndatomu and Farmchuck like this.
  15. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Very informative post. Answered a lot of questions I had in mind. Thank you.

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. John2020

John2020

Check out heatmasters new g4000

You can’t go wrong with central boiler, heat master, or crown royal. I’d talk to all 3 dealers near you.

I’ll be going with the heatmaster g4000 or when I buy a new house next year.

Creekin and Farmchuck like this.
  17. lukem

lukem

I think that's debatable. My BIL has one and it is trash compared to Heatmaster and Crown Royal.

Farmchuck likes this.
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

X2...I think they dug their heels in so hard trying to stop the EPA2020 regs from applying to OWB's, that they fell behind the other companies that just embraced it earlier on and had/have more RnD under their belts already...

campinspecter and Farmchuck like this.
  19. Creekin

Creekin

Figured I'd update my boiler issues i was dealing with in spring
    Sent the g400 to heatmaster where they welded up the problem areas, pressure checked everything
    They even did an upgrade to the front to allow a cleanout of the front air passage, no charge!!

General manager even took me for a bit of a tour of their new shop, clean, clean, clean!!!

brenndatomu and Farmchuck like this.
  20. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Anyone have anything new to add here? I’m still considering updating my CB6048 with something that would hopefully have a smaller appetite for wood. I wonder if either of these units did in fact meet the new epa criteria & be eligible for the 26% cost assistance. Any information updates from current owners on satisfaction would be welcome.:) Thank you all.