In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black Locust Questions & Potential Score.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

X2. You already have the white truck. Couple cones, act like you belong there, and I doubt anybody will mess with you. If you want to go the extra mile put a strobe on the top of your truck.

As to wheather BL has more btus than hickory, oak, etc. and some of the other primo firewood I'd say it depends. The reason these charts are all different can be varied, but the big one is that these trees are living organisms. No 2 are alike, and they are subject to a multitude of enviromental variations. BL here where I live will surely be different from BL where you are. Regardless its definitely in the "premium" category

2. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

I love Black Locust! I never burn it exclusively in the stove as its just too intense (I still have warped secondary burn tubes that fell victim to careless BL burning leaving the air intake too open) so I always mix it in when I have it. It is one of my favorite scores, but It does wreak havoc in the chain blade. Because of the way it can dull the blade and will keep smaller scores mounting till I have enough to buck up a good lot all at once. Cutting a little here and there is going to slow your blade down when cutting other hardwoods, so my thinking is to just cut it separately and sharpen after to keep up saw performance and save on sharpening times.
    I guess the rule for me is mix BL with other wood for burning, but single it out exclusively for cutting. If you don't mind sharpening then ignore my prattling, it's just something I don't enjoy doing so much, yet I also enjoy a sharp blade ....and Black Locust!!!

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Id consider taking you up on that Joe, but the area at my friends is very small and i cant cut large wood there. Tree is not that big. There is a few more downed locust not pictured around the building. It is surrounded by a chain link fence but enough grass around for me to get in there. Nice flat area to park off the road. Mostly vines. Didnt see much in the way of prickers but didnt climb into it.
    Have you scored any more wood or just working your lot. That huge oak blowover from October.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Do you know where the BTU reference chart on here originated from?

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Grizzly Adam did it, In one of his responses he mentions that he took four or five different charts and average them for his BTU ratings.

6. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I’m only about half way through splitting and stacking my (~1cord) locust score, with the holidays and family time inhibiting my time for “woodwork.”
    I’m hoping it dries at least a bit quicker than all the oak I stacked this year, just so that it gives the oak more time to dry. I’m also hoping it will extend the burn times for my insert as I’m generally left with only feeble coals in the morning, if I’m getting to bed at a reasonable hour (5-6 hour burn time).
    So, not a lot of firsthand experience to add, but I’m looking forward to having some.

7. Erik B

Erik B

mrfancyplants What insert do you have? With my Lopi, I am able to get up to 8-9 hours and still have good coals to relight. That does depend on what wood I am using and how cold it is outside.

8. farmer steve

farmer steve

buZZsaw BRAD. Get it if you can. From the looks of your pics I'm think the bark should come off when you cut due to it being down. Seasoning time depends on how long it has been down but I would say a minimum of a year. Good luck buddy.

Slocum, Felter, mrfancyplants and 9 others like this.
  9. farmer steve

farmer steve

Have you tried mixing in some rounds for your final load at nite to get a longer burn? Locust rounds are great for overnite.

Slocum, Felter, mrfancyplants and 9 others like this.
  10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

My pics here - My own BL thread

Slocum, Felter, buZZsaw BRAD and 7 others like this.
  11. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

I’ve stopped and cut BL NUMEROUS TIMES on the shoulder of the Long Island Expressway at rush hour. Never been bothered.

Slocum, MikeyB, Felter and 8 others like this.
  12. jo191145

jo191145

Hahaha. NY and Ct may share a border but little else. NY’ers are known for minding their own business and not giving a damm. CT on the other hand are nosy bastids and with a penchant for narcing on everyone doing something they think may be wrong.
    All in jest but IMO true. No offense to either. Well except for the nosy bastids with cell phone video and 911 speed dialers.

13. jo191145

jo191145

ok, offer stands.
    Been off the wood for a bit due to moms house fire. Brought some crushed stone down to my bridge to fill in front of the ramps. Today I started building,,,,,,,,,not sure what to call it LOL. A pad maybe to cross a little swampy area just a little past the bridge. I’ll be back on the bucking and splitting soon.

14. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Bingo! And that's as close to comprehensive as a person is likely to get with a btu chart.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

OMG! I vaguely remember you mentioning that. Is all okay?

16. jo191145

jo191145

Good as can be. The rebuild begins. Biggest hurdle was getting the insurance company to sign off on the scene. They want someone/something to blame but came up empty.

17. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Quadra-fire voyager. It came with the house.

18. Woody Stover

Woody Stover

From my experience with it, I believe the several charts that show ~28 mBTU/cord. On any chart, you are going to see a few listings that don't seem right to you. Shagbark 27.7, Dogwood 27.3, Pignut 26.5, White Oak 25.7, Red Oak/hard Maple 24, White Ash 23.6, Red Elm 21.6, Black Cherry 20, seems about right to me..
    If you start cutting some barkless, and you see brown chips, save it to the side. When you test it you may find it ready to burn tomorrow..wouldn't that be fun? :cool: If the bark comes off easily, might need a year. Otherwise, I'm guessing two years but I don't know..all I have is about four years, haven't burned all that much. Split & stack now, check in the fall.
    There's a little sapwood, not much. Stuff lying on the ground will be fine. When cutting, you might find a section with a rotted core; Keep cutting and you will get back into solid meat.
    Thread got me fired up, I just tossed in a load of BL and Pignut. :smoke:Normally, I would save that stuff for cold weather, but I think winter is over for this year..might be over forever! o_O

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

you are a BRAVE soul. Ive driven it a few times on a Sunday afternoon and still have PTSD from it. Ive hoarded and cut along interstates before. Once i pulled off on the left side median to cut some roadkill. State cop shows up and i have to leave. He wouldnt let me finish cutting. This was over 10 years ago. I still drive by there on occasion and the log sits...slowly decaying! It was white oak

20. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

The southern state parkway has loads of constantly regenerated road kill left by crews that makes me think bad thoughts every time I drive it. If I lived there I would have devised a plan to get some by now, but just passing through on peak hours ..no chance.