In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What is this in my ash tree?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by DexterDay, Jun 2, 2014.

  1. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Cut down this ash tree with my new 555 yesterday. Been wondering what these blue marks are?

    They are on both the stump and the felled tree? Cut into it 16 further up and nothing??

    Wondering if any of you have come across this?

    I thought it may have been some type of steel? But no steel was to be found?

    This is the tree stump..

    20140601_201258.jpg
    Then the felled tree..

    20140601_201236.jpg

    And a pic of the new saw on the tree ;)



    20140601_200803.jpg
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Looks like a tree spirit drove in some nails!
     
  3. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That might be extraterrestrial :bug:
     
    Woody Stover and papadave like this.
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    That is weird! I've seen the typical stains you might see with metal being in there but those marks are nearly perfect (in distance apart) and seem to be vertical with the tree. I'd be curious how far up you find them as you buck the tree into logs. Neat find
     
  5. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Maybe it was a piece of fence or something that disintegrated
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Some guy from 50 is laughing his butt off-- he put nails all in the ground around the sapling he planted.
     
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I think we have a winner.
     
  8. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I dunno, seems like Dex took a flat punch and put them there
     
    papadave likes this.
  9. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Blue usually means steel.
    Center to center about 1 ''. Maybe an old 1" wire fence 30 years ago or so.
    On or near property or field borders , suspect/look for some kind of fencing .
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  10. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Where is the metal though? It just rusted away in there?
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  11. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Sometimes it can stain a little ways up the grain of the wood.

    It's in a treeline that has an old barb wire fence. But this tree was over 6 feet out from that row? On my side of the fence.

    I will measure the dots, but they are closer to probably 1/4" to 1/2".
     
  12. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Weird because they are so round. Looks like one of them is right near the bark so I would expect to still see the fencing protruding out of the bark if it was fencing.
     
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  13. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    :popcorn:
     
    papadave likes this.
  14. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    You pinched your bar. Those are the rivets on your chain. You can see a couple of rectangular cutter indentations also.

    You have wedge marks there too.
     
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    What Paul said. I like the tree shot.
    I was thinking aliens at first, just because they do stuff like that to confuse us.
     
    Gark likes this.
  16. colin.p

    colin.p

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    575
    Likes Received:
    2,138
    Location:
    Ottawa Canada
    Well I'll be.........
     
  17. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,272
    Likes Received:
    66,588
    Location:
    IN
    Yup, that tree sat down on your chain. Any ferrous metal would have left some coloration. Any nonferrous metal would probably still be in there. They're probably blue because of the bar oil getting pressed into the wood and/or heat.
     
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  18. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Another new saw.......:thumbs:
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  19. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Had a wedge? But never thought the bar got pinched....

    Huh. . Thought I was onto something :(

    Another mystery solved :)
    .
    Thanks Paul. You saved me a lot of time investigating tonight :thumbs: Good call :)
     
  20. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Must have been when I stopped and put the wedge in.. Because I ran the saw a bit, put were in, then ran it up to the hinge and pulled out when she started to fall.

    Good eye... Good eye..
     
    savemoney likes this.