In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Will my chimney brackets work?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Kimberly, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

I don't own a welder; well, Dad's old arc welder is still here but I don't know where the parts are and I have never done a single weld in my life. I now wish I had gotten Dad to teach me welding but I was always a bit scared of it. Therefore, I decided I could use slotted angle steel and bolts to form the bracket. However, I wanted to get the opinion of the forum. How much does supervent chimney weight per foot? Will the angle steel be able to support the weight of the chimney? Below is a photo of what I made.

chimney_brace.jpg

milleo likes this.
  2. Kimberly

Kimberly

I am thinking of putting a cross piece at the rear and adding a third diagonal brace to the wall.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My personal opinion would be that is gonna be a little weak for long term reliability. I would run two angles upward in the same fashion as what you have there now. Also, will you be strapping the stack to the wall with their wall straps? If not then I'd say you need braces to the sides too...heck, wouldn't be a bad idea even if you are gonna strap the stack to the wall. Don't want the chimney support folding up during a windy winter storm!

HDRock, milleo and papadave like this.
  4. Kimberly

Kimberly

I also thought about buying angle iron and drilling the holes for the bolts and lag screws but angle iron is a lot more expensive and I had some slotted angle steel on hand. I did have to buy more to complete the job. Perhaps I should have asked before building it but I really need to get moving on this chimney installation.

5. Kimberly

Kimberly

I see what you mean, they would be under tension where the bottom braces are under compression; I think that is a good idea.

6. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, a member on here made me some wall braces to extend the chimney support out; I will be using one wall brace near the soffit and I have the roof brace kit to secure the chimney that sticks up above.

7. Locust Post

Locust Post

I think your design is fine but I would exchange that out for angle because the stuff with all the holes in it loses a lot of strength. I know when you get going on a stove/chimney install you want to get it done but another day or 2 and good sturdy install will not do you wrong. Also remember you are playing with fire.....what if you have a nice blaze going on a startup some windy day and the chimney fails....just saying

wildwest likes this.
  8. Kimberly

Kimberly

Well, there is $24 wasted then.

9. Locust Post

Locust Post

I'm sorry, not trying to be a kill joy......but don't want anything to kill your joy either.

wildwest likes this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

Not to mention two days of labour.

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

What you have there now will work fine (not wasted) if you brace it from the top and maybe to the sides also. You would no need the same material to do this...as you said, it will be under tension. Heavy steel strapping or some flat bar would work...

HDRock likes this.
  12. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Gusseting the sides should work also.

Gary

eatonpcat, Stihl Livin and HDRock like this.
  13. Kimberly

Kimberly

I actually thought about this today but was not sure what to use.

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I think your design is good. Just move the angled bottom braces to the top so the weight is pulling on the metal.
    How many feet of pipe are you using? looks like maybe 10-12 feet at most from the pic

15. johninwi

johninwi

The weight of the pipe can be had from shipping info.
    If it was my project i'd put the step ladder along side and grab hold and see if it flexes or twists, if i wasn't satisified, depending on how it moved i'd add an additional angle inside the existing diagonal's or add 2 more from the ends of the bottom horzontal to the top, would make for two very strong triangles.

Also, can you find a purchased item that list the materal gage for comparison?

I'm not an engineer so this is just a suggestion

16. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Shipping weight is about 18lbs. For a 3ft. section

Gary

milleo likes this.
  17. Kimberly

Kimberly

I tried to find some information on the strength of angle steel. However, I think having two braces at the top taking the load under tension as well as what I have now will work; plus putting some sort of side gussets at the bottom. Mernards list supervent three foot section at 18 pounds and I put a boxed section on a household scale and it read 19 pounds; so let's say 18.5 lbs. Three of those sections for 9 feet of chimney would be 55.5 lbs. I am feeling better now. I have two bags of 40 lbs top soil I could stack on it tomorrow and see what happens :D

18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I was just looking for material gauges on wall support kits and couldn't find it. most of them are just stamped tin with angled edges for strength. one that I saw made from angle claimed to hold 50' of pipe

19. johninwi

johninwi

Turbo, do thoes extend out from the structure like Kim's does? Wind and leverage are going to be a bigger problem than the weight. It looks like the gutter is <3' above the support. Or better yet, Kimberly how far to the gutter and what's about a roof brace for wind load?

TurboDiesel likes this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

put a piece of 2x4 across the plate and tie a rope to it. Maybe do a chin-up or two on the rope. if it flexes from your weight add another brace. if it holds you, it will hold 9 feet of pipe