In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl 040

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by AmarilloSlim, Mar 19, 2014.

1. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

Super minty. 165 psi comp. what would your ballpark offer price be? Saws are not readily available in my area so I expect to pay more than pnw or any heavily wooded area. Thoughts or opinions appreciated

2. Carbine

Carbine

As a user, not much more than 1-125 bucks. As a collector, 2-300 range. Just depends on how nice it is. I sold an early 041 for 225 a few years ago, and it was absolutely mint.

3. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

It was "restored" 3 yrs ago. Looks brand new. Would certainly pass the white glove test.

Got Wood? likes this.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

If it's that nice? Then the price is subjective. It's worth what a buyer wants to pay.

If someone holds a high sentiment to that model? Then there is no limit.

Pics would better help with a solid price, but a "Minty" original, would probably sell higher than an average 040.

5. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

Pics!!' Everyone likes pics!!! [​IMG]

Got Wood? likes this.
  6. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

7. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

8. Carbine

Carbine

Nice looking saw, looks like he did a good job on it from what I can gather. All modern Stihls that I know of are powdercoated, but some of the older saws were painted. So painting or repainting it may be identical to the original finish. Nice job on the muffler too. Some guys restore and paint the mufflers black, but in fact all that I have seen were originally silver. This one passes my white glove anyway :)

AmarilloSlim likes this.
  9. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

I'm looking for a 50cc saw around 3 bills. Only for the bigger stuff I "might" run across. So.. She would be a shelf queen in any given running condition. Any other recommendations or should I green light this one? A running 041 is also available for slightly less. Dang CAD! I still haven't a stove yet. Hopefully before next fall.

Got Wood? likes this.
  10. Carbine

Carbine

I wouldn't look into that 040 unless it was entirely going to be a dedicated shelf saw. Only the 041 if it were really cheap. Nothing against either one, but for 3 bills I think you could find something that would much better suit ya. Plenty of newer saws for that kind of money in the 50-60cc range with better av.

11. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

It would sit next to my homelite super 2 on the shelf for the most part. Saws are meant to be used. The 041 is an option but only $40ish less and a "used" saw. Not that there is anything wrong with using a saw properly.... As far as new saws go I like to keep em clean and newer saws have way more catch alls.

Got Wood? likes this.
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

x2... Have you thought about buying off the net? I know of a couple places that you can buy with confidence and get your saw shipped to you for fairly cheap, of not free.

Not to take away from the saw. I completely misread where this thread was going. I went back and reread the OP. I thought you were selling the saw, not buying.

For $300, you can get a very nice Stihl 026/260, 036/360/361/362, or a nice Husq in the 254, 257, 346, 350, 353, 357, 359, etc.

For $350 you approach 70 cc class saws bottom end range. I know where a nice Husq 365 is for $350 OTD (no shipping though)

AmarilloSlim likes this.