In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mahindra 3550

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Gasifier, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier

In the general section on TBN the advice I received so far was to cut my loses and get rid of it. I haven't gone to forum specific to Mahindra and asked owners about contacting Mahindra or what else to do. I'm very disappointed in myself. All the experience I have with tractors, loader backhoes, etc. it's my fault. I should have known better, especially after reading some of the reviews about problems some owners have had.

clemsonfor and Backwoods Savage like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Gasifier I call BS.. you bought a new piece of equipment from a dealer you knew and trusred! if you wanted this level of headaches you would have bought used! as you did successfully in the past. don't put this on you its Mahindra issue!

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The Case 580s at work typically go 6-8000 hrs without repacking cylinders...

4. fuelrod

fuelrod

Easy on yourself there big boy, there's a lot of folks out there without these troubles and that red paint with the nice size tires & wheels that they put on those machines....... "eye candy" :yes:

5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did some digging today on our property I cut most of our firewood on, plenty of rocks compared to the sand on the house lot. I didn't run into anything huge but I understand more what one of the oldtimers said after we bought that property, your money is in the hills.

6. Gasifier

Gasifier

My tractor was returned to me this afternoon. After 9 days.

They said the transmission problem was a pin that broke. Needed to be replaced.

They could not replicate the loss of power or bogging down issue with the hydraulics.

They fixed the problem with the lights I had.

They cleaned the large cylinder on the backhoe but could not find a leak.

Now I have to decide what to do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. CDF_USAF

CDF_USAF

That would be a tough call for me to make, but if it was ME, and the dealer was honoring the warranty, I would run it as I had originally planned to do and let the dealer fix the bugs on their dime as they arise. If at the end of the warranty problems are still happening then down the road it would go. But that is my thought process, and I've traded one problem for another a time or two as well. Just my 2 pennies.

8. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I’m going to disagree with that seeing as that’s how I earned my keep for a few years. With the Deere’s that I used to work on, the machine was designed to be serviced easily. The entire hydraulic line assembly came off the side of the tractor. (One piece) The wiring harnesses used connectors to separate in logical locations where the machine came apart for service. And things like the operators platform or cab came off very quickly and largely in one piece making it pretty easy to re-install too.

Kubota was nearly as good. The cabs were good, but the open station tractors were a few pieces that took longer and scratched easily, requiring more time, especially with new or nearly new Equipment. Wiring harnesses were a little simpler than the Deere’s but did not come apart, requiring me to peel it back off all the components and re-route it later when reassembling. Their hydraulics at the time relied on more hoses rather than Deere’s hardline philosophy and like the wiring, I had to disconnect and tuck them out of the way, figuring out the routing later. They may have gotten better with this in recent years however.

The point is, better engineered machines service a LOT easier and can be put back to factory condition by a disciplined tech. Need proof that good equipment is easier to work on? Spend a little quality time with those Northern Tool tractors. Yikes.

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I would not buy a jimina or Northern Tool Tractor.!!! I'm cheap but would not go that route. I'd buy anyone of the many proven tractors that are 20 to 40 years old before one of those!

10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The easier something is to work on, the more likely it is going to be put back together right. There are guys that don't care and will slop over anything. Then there are guys do care and no matter how hard it is to work on, everything will be put back like the factory had it.

11. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I found a website were some guy was documenting things he had done with his Jinma and breakdowns. His first break down was around 60 hours IIRC. By 180-200 he had an extensive list. I remember the starter went at around 120. If I wanted a cheap tractor I would get an old used tractor.

12. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Gasifier What caused the pin in the trans to break? How big of a deal is it to replace?

Backwoods Savage, Gasifier and Casper like this.
  13. Gasifier

Gasifier

Don't know. They had to remove seat and fenders and go into transmission from top. I do not know how big of a deal actually getting old one out and new one in was.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  14. Gasifier

Gasifier

Oh how I sometimes wish I had bought another solid, used Kubota, like I have in the past. Live and learn.

I must say again though, when this tractor is working correctly the production is very good. I really like the hydrostatic transmission with side by side pedals. And the large R1 Ag tires for traction and great ground clearance.

It is just very frustrating to experience this many lost time problems after one has spent this amount of money on a brand new tractor.

I will see how long it takes and what Mahindra does in response to my complaints. I told them I will not bash my dealer. They have been good through all of this. I don't like complaining about Mahindra. And don't want to complain about all their tractors. Just appears I got a tractor with some quality control problems. A "lemon" or a "bad unit"? I don't know.

I do not want to take a big loss financial loss on this tractor. Can't afford it. So I believe I will be doing what this FHC hoarder suggest......

I have asked for a copy, or record/receipt of every time they have worked my tractor. The mechanic told me no problem. They will pull everything from the Mahindra database for warranty work and send them to me. I will make sure I keep track of any future work done as well.

Let's hope I have better luck moving forward.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Chaz, huskihl, Flamestead and 5 others like this.
  15. fuelrod

fuelrod

Gas there is a chance you will work through all the problems and (tractor) life will be good :handshake:.

16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Glad you got it back Gas. Let us hope it keeps on working now.

Chvymn99, Gasifier and clemsonfor like this.
  17. Gasifier

Gasifier

Thanks Sav. I'm going to bring it up to thewoodlands place and introduce it to a properly acting tractor.

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Don't jinx ours! :hair:

19. Gasifier

Gasifier

Do you remember what we learned as kids? Sharing is a nice thing to do.:handshake:

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Only good things, bad things should be left at home. :zip::yes: