In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

mezzaluna or ulu

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Just putting out a call for input. My wife's arthritis is really getting bad and we have bought several arthritis association items in the past such as scissors which have helped her a lot. I am looking for knife options in the kitchen to help her and am wondering if anyone has actual hands on experience with either kind of knife or what have you found knife related that helps with weak arthritis cursed hands?:axe:

2. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I have used an ulu on occasion. It requires wrist motion when skinning, can get repetitious.
    It looks like a mezzaluna would be easier to work, if what you were cutting would stay in place. Both wrists could be locked and only a rocking motion would get the job done. But that's a guess, I've not used one.
    Does your wife have issues with grip strength, finger dexterity, or wrist issues?

3. bushpilot

bushpilot

I am thinking wildwest might have arthritis IIRC? If so, perhaps she could offer input?

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well, yep, rheumatoid arthritis but mostly inflammatory from sclero, either way no fun to do things you love or things you need to, I mostly just don't do much of them anymore. Like BK mentions above, stuff that requires repetition is the hardest for me. I did however get by with a mandolin for alot of years. Then, I turn to my hubby to help me finish the task be it stirring, chopping, or sealing calzone dough etc.

On the other hand, I still can give him the most handsome haircut. I quit for alot of years from the pain, but we started again, just takes alot longer since I have to take frequent breaks from gripping and turning the scissors and comb, and he is willing to sit there longer.

Greenstick , is she osteo or rheumatic?

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

My wife suffers with her hands but refuses to let me get her something that would make it easier. It does get tough watching her and just knowing how much it hurts though. But, she is the ornery one...

walt, Elvisss222, blacksmith and 4 others like this.
  6. Greenstick

Greenstick

All of the above issues. Her family every female over 40 starts a slow but painful whole body attack. My wife can hardly walk because it is in her ankle so bad.

7. Greenstick

Greenstick

Osteo. Worst in her hands wrists ankles shoulders and knees.

8. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I find that the larger the handle, the easier a knife is to use. Not easy to find, but they are out there. Has she tried using a wristband/supporter while using the knife or scissors? I have a hard time with opening jars and bought a battery operated jar opener. It works well enough.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Whatever she prefers using make sure its extra sharp for her. Also, some stores offer a 90 return policy, you could get her one or both and let her try them, take them back if don't help. Non solicited tip, doing dishes and scrubbing pots and pans were hard for me too, we had the hot water heaters turned up a couple notches before the lil came along, the difference of a few degrees REALLY helped. Not sure about cooking, but savemoney has all kinds of clever helpful ideas for arthritis, also tfdchief deals with it too .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Dr Google seems to like this one?
    Dexter Russell 40033 DuoGlide All Purpose Chef's Knife, 8 in

11. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

12. Greenstick

Greenstick

Just spent the whole day on doctor visits with Mama Bear yesterday. Things don't sound good but she put on a good face and doc said she did way better than most. Dealt with her ankle n foot. Long story short, she's screwed. He took several stabs and pumped various joints in her foot and ankle full of cortisone but this is only a temporary solution for 6 weeks and it hurt like bejeese. He also explained that she has degenerative bone disease in her feet. The bones are swollen some are mis shaped and arthritis is rampant. He is amazed she still works. He hopes to not need to but said sadly this can end in having to fusion the foot/ankle bones and basically give you brick feet that won't bend and live in slippers n flip flops. She is supposed to stay off her feet as much as possible to prevent accelerated degeneration. We are going to have to make some serious life choices soon.

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Sorry to read this Greenstick :confused:

For what it's worth, we're hear to listen, help, and maybe help ya to a chuckle from time to time!
    May our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ guide your wife to receive healing upon her infirmities.

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Greenstick she should be able to get those shots with sedation so won't have to put up with the painful shots.

NortheastAl, Greenstick and Eric VW like this.
  15. Greenstick

Greenstick

Thanks for the kind words. She has dealt with health issues in the past that have put us through hardship and tests and made us stronger. I can't put to words how much this club helps. It is a place to vent, lend a hand or have a laugh, all of which I have done. This rag tag bunch of wood weirdos is a great way to lose myself from the world for a break from reality and relax and I can't thank all of you enough!

16. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Greenstick, I will keep your wife in my prayers and thoughts. Hoping things will become easier for both of you.

17. Latitude59

Latitude59

My vote is mezzaluna. Ulus work great for skinning seals and walruses which AK natives here use them for. Find a right size wood bowl for the mezza and you're all set.

Beetle-Kill, Greenstick and Eric VW like this.
  18. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Eric VW and Greenstick like this.
  19. Greenstick

Greenstick

NortheastAl and Eric VW like this.
  20. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

If you see the TV commercial, it will probably make you order one.