In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Double wall flue pipe...off season help plz.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 6, 2015.

1. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

One of my off season stove projects is changing out my single wall to double. I have no experience with this stuff and could use a little help. So far I have collected the 2 elbows I need, a 90 and a 45. The run from the stove collar to the first elbow is an odd size, 38". I assume this stuff can't be cut like single wall can, so I found what looks to be telescoping pipe??? It varies in size to make the run work. The short horizontal run is going to be 17", same scenario??? And my last question, do they make a trim ring where the flue meets the thimble? Any help would be appreciated...

2. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Yupp, it'll be telescoping and is actually pretty darn easy to deal with. What is your install again? Is it a "thru-the-wall" or straight up? Your double wall has to be able to connect to your chimney (same brand) and any appliance adapter needed. I'll attach a pic or two of my set-up which, while not ideal, is very functional and has allowed for reduced clearance to combustibles.
    The trim ring (or collar) should be available from the company.

The video below isn't bad but there are a few other things to be aware of (different connectors, different codes in your area, etc). Double wall is also heavier than the old single wall, so an extra set of hands may be needed.

My IS heats my home and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

My IS heats my home and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. FastDonzi

FastDonzi

Isnt single wall better for making heat in the house?? since it will put off more heat?? when I had a stand alone stove it felt like a good portion of the heat came from the pipe.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, but. Sometimes people do have problems keeping the flue warm enough to cause enough draft. In that case, the double wall is much better.

BuckthornBonnie likes this.
  6. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Double wall also helps reduce clearances in tight spaces. Ive heard it may last longer? But my Dad's single wall is 35years old and going strong, so who knows...