In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Spanked By The Propane Company!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Ralphie Boy, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Yesterday I received a "nasty gram" from Midwest Gas, my propane company. Seems as though I didn't burn the required 200 gallons of propane during the last fiscal year so they are going to charge me a "low usage" fee of $150.! :faint: Now, they already charge $35 annually for tank rental because I don't use enough propane. Double charged!! I'm sure it's in the contract someplace but that's not the point. Fined for conserving energy!?! really!?! It's time we force these companies to change such outdated policies.

It's not only propane I saved; I saved them transportation costs including labor and operational time on their trucks.. My electric company gives me a credit of $5 a month between May1 and October1 because I have a timer installed that shuts off the A.C. for 3 hours during peak operating hours.

Rant complete! Thanks!:D

Drvn4wood, Horkn, milleo and 12 others like this.
  2. fox9988

fox9988

I'd tell them to waive the charge or come get their tank. If you have to buy one, the $35 rental savings will pay for it and you can shop around for the cheapest available pro-pain.

milleo, fuelrod, haveissues and 12 others like this.
  3. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Thats a bunch of baloney! :mad: I've never heard of such a thing - maybe there's more competition in my area? There's 5 or 6 different propane suppliers around here. I'm under 200 gallons as well - I only use it for my hot water and dryer. They'd be getting a "nasty gram" from me, and they'd be coming for their tank as well.

Drvn4wood, splitoak, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Ah, the state of things in our country, eh Ralphie Boy? BBB help at all? A call to the local news perhaps?!
    Smells like, sounds like, must be Bull
    Unbelievable! considering the national dialogue on conservation!
    Hope you get this worked out- and report the results:)

5. XXL

XXL

What a crock!:loco: :crazy:

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

They can KMA :heidi:

Horkn, milleo, Chopy and 5 others like this.
  7. Stinny

Stinny

8. NH_Wood

NH_Wood

I can see the tank rental fee, but the extra is bullchit - pay them extra for doing nothing - hell with that. Cheers!

9. jetjr

jetjr

I'd tell them to come get the tank.

10. mdavlee

mdavlee

At the other house I had they came and filled without me asking. A bill showed up for $2250 and they were charging $4/gal. Another company was charging $2.15. I reused to pay the first company and told them to come get their tank. They left it there for 5 months before they came and got it. I guess they thought i had ro have it and hoped i was using it up. They were supposed to pay me back for the amount in the tank but I never received a refund either for what was in before they filled. The 2nd company delivered a tank and propane for me.

Horkn, milleo, Smokinpiney and 6 others like this.
  11. NH_Wood

NH_Wood

:eek:

Horkn and XXL like this.
  12. Woodrat1276

Woodrat1276

My dad put a heat pump in and got something from the electric co for doing so. He is in Owen county electric I have duke but I'm thinking on going the heat pump route myself as I had a disagreement with my propane supplier at summers end last year

I got charged more because I didn't fill the tank. When I called I didn't have enough $ to fill it at that time and was going to do it but not at once. I paid $500 and it takes a $1.000 to fill it Long story short I wanted some gas just for shoulder season. The day they came and mind you I live only 10 miles from where they coming from I get a call from the driver who happens to be delivering a mile up the road telling me I'm his next stop. He gets there we talk and he proceeds to tell me he has several more stops in my area to do that day a couple right up the road
    Now if I lived way out somewhere or they had to make a special trip then by all means charge me if I'm not filling up
    But they drive past me everyday they have a lot of business in my area they was delivering to several houses within a couple miles of me that day I told them that won't happen again and if they didn't like it come and get the tank

The sad part is a few weeks prior we got a letter stating they would like for us to recommend people to them. Basically the letter said we slow we need the business

I also decided against filling it the rest of the way up. $500 got me 39% and that was plenty enough to get through shoulder seasons

13. Frank and Beans

Frank and Beans

I agree with fox and jet. I would tell them to come get the tank. But i would throw in several cusswords because i am getting mad just thinking about it. Reminds me of an incident i had with a satellite tv company. Ok, my blood pressure is rising. Time to look at some wood stack pictures to calm me back down!!!

14. Woodrat1276

Woodrat1276

I'll have to look when I go home but on my delivery tickets it says clearly customer burns wood. I know I get charged more because my in laws use the same company. Sad part is I use gas too in weather like this where we had a cold front go through its chilly out but not enough to burn a fire

I guess the gas suppliers want you endebted to them

15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I wanted some fuel oil for my heater at my farm house. I called the oil company. Said I need 100 gallon minimum sale. I said I dont need it now and I dont want 100gal. This was back when diesel and HHO was $4/gallon. Were at the farm a few times in the winter and dont use much oil. (I installed a wood stove the next year cause of this issue). I told them just to put me on the book and next time they were out my way to stop and put 50 gals in. They said they could be out next week but I needed to buy 100. Now my farm house is right on a pretty main highway and the tank is 70 feet from the road and can be driven pretty close to. I said no when ever you go by me just have the driver stop in dont make a special trip out. They couldnt get it and would not budge. I said if you won't sell me 50 gallons without some fee or something I won't ever buy a gallon of anything from you. They wouldnt and I havent. I bought a barrel and filled it at a oil company near my house. I saved like $0.40 a gallon over their price and just pumped it in the tank myself. About twice a year I dump 5 gallons in the tank and I use wood for 80% of the heat there.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Horkn, milleo, burndatwood and 5 others like this.
  16. reelcrzy

reelcrzy

Don't feel bad. I got a bill for 185.00 for not using 500 gal. wtf over !

17. Brad38

Brad38

I think a lot of the propane companies have similar business practices. Im going to get my own tank ASAP. Anyone ever heard of the company Thrifty Propane? I see on their site where you can buy your tank and split it into 12 monthly payments. That could be an option. I Need to read the fine print first I guess. Lol

18. chris

chris

Send them a $300 bill for rental of the space under the tank and storage fees of same tank.

splitoak, Horkn, fox9988 and 7 others like this.
  19. rdust

rdust

Been there done that. Told them to come get their 500 gallon tank then switched companies. When I switched I had a smaller tank brought out so I would avoid the usage fee with the new company.

Horkn, milleo, clemsonfor and 3 others like this.
  20. Oldman47

Oldman47

At $185 per year they could come get a tank. The water heater and dryer won't burn that much more in electricity if you switch. I am building out in the country and have refused to install a tank, the usual heat source around here. My main heat is a geothermal furnace and small loads like a water heater and stove will be electric.

Horkn, milleo, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.