In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Iowa spring charity cut May 16 2015

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by sam-tip, Jan 19, 2015.

1. sam-tip

sam-tip

Hello everyone. Wanted to put this out there. We are having a charity wood cut May 16th 2015 for Firewood Helper on Facebook. The wood pile from the fall cut is no more. But we still have 11 stacked pallets/loads from the fall charity cut and going fast. Hoping to get a head start on afternoon of May 15th. May is a hard month to plan around. Mothers day and Memorial day are both in May and then there is spring planting season for the farmers. Location Waukee/West Des Moines area. Logs are provided by a local tree company. We cut and split the wood. We work with local food banks to help provide heat for people in need of assistance.

Stinny, schlot, Hedgerow and 2 others like this.
  2. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Just send me a message when it gets closer Doug... I'll bet we can rustle up a MO crew...

sam-tip likes this.
  3. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Sheep Dip......................I've already committed to judge a retriever hunt test that weekend!!!!

4. schlot

schlot

Going to do my best to make it!

By the way, how do you determine who to give the wood too? Do you work with any public agency/etc?

PS

Doh......I just figured it out. If I read EVERYTHING you write I won't ask dumb questions!

5. sam-tip

sam-tip

They need the assistance! Some have holes in there homes and windows. Some have no electricity. Others live in what looks like a junk yard for mobile homes.

Be nice to put a face to the name. Hope to see you on May 16th. Bring an appetite. Good food.

Hedgerow and schlot like this.
  6. schlot

schlot

Was hoping to get to this but my middle son is graduating from Kirkwood that day. Good luck with the event.

7. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Just an update on this event...
    It happened, and I attended, along with member AWOL, and his son Abe, and my son Levi..
    Here's a pic of the days work..
    AWOL is sitting at the base of the pile.

image.jpg

I brought the big splitter with a 4 way and Doug ran his 2 super splits. Along with a couple others..
    This was a hard fought pile of mostly Ash..

8. schlot

schlot

Awesome work guys...wish I could have been there to help and meet everyone.

Great work you guys are doing!

9. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Doug still has a lot of work ahead of him.. Putting ~ 53 full cords into containers for winter delivery..
    That aught to keep him busy for a while...
    :whistle:

walt and Stinny like this.
  10. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Here's my son standing on the other side of the pile..
    Even got maul heads better side in that pic.. He and Paul got their fill of trigger time that day... Lol...

image.jpg

My son is 6'2" for size reference..

11. Stinny

Stinny

I see a lotta sweat in them thar splits... :yes:

12. sam-tip

sam-tip

Here is a short video of Saturday morning. Best if you switch it to HD and full screen. I think we had 37 people total at the charity cut. Been meaning to put this up here. Been busy stacking the wood pile. By the end of the day we only had 6 uncut logs left in the pile. Already collected 5 loads of logs for next year. Thinking May 14 or 21 2016.

Starting a diesel log splitter build with a 34 hp Kubota engine out of an old golf course mower. Planning to assemble after Christmas time. I have the mower and hydraulic cylinder. 4.5" bore 30" stroke and 3.5" shaft. Planning auto cycle controls with adjustable 4 way and hydraulic winch with light weight tongs for lifting larger rounds. Going to try and use a tandem single stage pumps. One section for ram and other section for 4 way and winch The super splits can take the smaller rounds. This splitter is to handle the 14" to 28" pieces. I think a log lift gets in the way at charity cuts. But a log lift does make a great work table. Maybe make some wood staging tables to make thing more efficient.

Someone suggested I add a turbo to the V1305 kubota engine. Don't know if that is possible since the v1305 never came with a turbo.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  13. Stinny

Stinny

You boys sure did make some chit happen... impressive set-up! Looks like a well oiled machine... :campfire:

Hedgerow, wildwest and sam-tip like this.
  14. schlot

schlot

Looks well organized!