In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Poll: How do you use your Hydraulic Log Splitter (H or V)?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Oct 21, 2014.

?

How do you use your Hydraulic Log Splitter (H or V)?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2014.
  1. Horizontal ONLY!

28.2%
  2. Vertical ONLY!

12.7%
  3. Mostly Horizontal, except for the big'uns I can't lift!

40.8%
  4. Mostly Vertical, with a few exceptions (bunch of small stuff... )!

8.5%
  5. 50/50, I go both ways (pun intended)!

9.9%
  1. Machria

Machria

So a recent thread got me wondering how most people use their log splitters, Horizontal, Vertical, or some combo of them.. I've always assumed most use them similarly, with a few exceptions but maybe not??

I'm not trying to find out what the "best way" is, as I don't think there really can be because there are so many variables (i.e. type and size of wood, health/back problems..., terrain, type of splitter...).

Pick one, and then view the results. I gave it 2 weeks for final toll.
    Winner will be notified by email!!!! :D
    :rootintootin:

2. papadave

papadave

Not enough choices.:)
    It depends on the tree I'm working on. Had a fairly big Spruce taken down and I'm still using the splitter vertically until I get to the smaller rounds. I'll go horizontal on those.
    Some trees are small enough to do the whole thing horizontal. Working on a big Oak right now that will require a lot more vertical use.
    I guess if I had to choose from that list, it would be mostly horizontal as most of my rounds are under 12".

3. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Horizontal only. I have tried a vertical splitter and it was not for me. Current set up beats everything I tried personally.

Tiewire and DexterDay like this.
  4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Good thread! VERTICAL for the big stuff, when I quarter them, then HORIZONTAL for everything else. For me personally, it's faster. As I age, this will change to all vertical. :BrianK:

5. jetjr

jetjr

Ergh mine only goes horizontal. Never had any problems doing it that way.

basod and cnice_37 like this.
  6. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Some variables, but horizontal usually means no or less lifting for me.
    over 90% of my splitting is vertical.

I do kindling & some of the small fire-pit wood horizontal,
    the light weight stuff, working at waist height.

7. Machria

Machria

That sounds to me like you should choose the last one, 50/50! YOU GO BOTH WAYS, I KNEW IT!!!! :D

8. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

I found with trying a split hardwood that is 24 inches long it basically takes 2 people to wrangle them around or to even tip them on end when 3 ft or bigger. How do you do it when dealing with 3 ft plus diameter stuff?Noodle? Don't get me wrong, I fought it for years and got REAL tired doing it and we were just rolling them into a 3 point splitter on the ground.

[​IMG]

Trying to work up 4ft beech like this is easier than it ever was before. I am 6'5" so all the leaning over gets to me quicker than most so that is a factor in my case. Not trying to start a fight or something, just interested on your normal way of doing the bigger ones.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  9. swags

swags Moderator

Good thread, I use mine more in horizontal. Anything I can lift without straining myself I split horizontal. If they are heavy and I ant lift easily I will split vertically, but if i start in vertical I dont switch to horizontal half ways through.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  10. lukem

lukem

If I can lift it...horizontal. Bending over kills my back.

11. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

I bought into the h/v is the best thing since sliced bread crap. Never again will I split vertical with a box store splitter.

I hated vertical so much that I turned my old splitter into a horizontal only splitter and moved the axle out of the way of where I want to stand.

splitoak, Tiewire and Pallet Pete like this.
  12. Machria

Machria

I hear ya on the vertical, it's VERY uncomfortable for me as well. By uncomfortable, I mean it feels dangerous. I'm sure you get more comfy with experience, but it's not for me.

Anyway, here is a "box store splitter", and an H/V one at that. No wheels or axel in the way, probably the smallest most compact splitter on the market and yet it probably has the most work space of any splitter I have seen. If splits fall off the cradle, nothing for them to fall onto. As I've said many a time around here, it's definitely not the strongest built/longest lasting splitter around but it sure it designed smartly. It's fast, it's lightweight to move around, it's ergonomic to use in both moces (H or V), it can be used/controlled from either side, nothing for falling splits/debris to hit/land on, has a nice work table and cradle on both sides, the Subaru motor runs great, and lastly it's CHEAP!

Ariens 22 Ton Splitter.JPG

13. cnice_37

cnice_37

I can only go horizontal, but bought mine specifically because anything needing heavy lifting is noodled first or my other option is to use the FEL and tongs to pick up. I'd prefer to stand over sit, so when I started looking horizontal and a 4-way wedge was my train of thought. A log lift would be nice, but first I need an outfeed table.

14. jeff_t

jeff_t

I've given it a few honest tries, but sitting on something and splitting vertically hurts my hips after a while. Once they are small enough to lift, I flop it back down.

15. lknchoppers

lknchoppers

I only split horizontal, my splitter doesn't go vertical. I just setup a little ramp and roll the big rounds onto the beam. I don't do anything much bigger than 24".

16. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

What they said.. :D

17. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Horizontal with a log lift is nice :D

I still prefer vertical for big rounds

18. Stinny

Stinny

My TroyBilt is set-up better for vert splitting. Too much stuff can get crunched in horiz mode. Not a great horiz design. I like it up on a work deck, splitting vertically with a log crane, but it's quite a production to get to that. I'm sure I'll use it in horiz mode down in the woods once in a while tho, as it's far more portable. Really like Kevin's concept better, with the crane attached to the splitter. There are others on here who've done the same idea.

splitoak likes this.
  19. coal reaper

coal reaper

Log lift

Oliver1655, the GOAT and Stinny like this.
  20. Gark

Gark

Vertical because my back doesn't like to lift anything heavier than a split.

HDRock and Stinny like this.