In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Newbie... Need Install Advice For Farenheit Endurance

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Triple A Arsenal, Sep 25, 2014.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Not really a "Kit". I just told the dealer (member Kinsman Stoves here) what lengths I needed. I needed a 5 ft section for vertical and two 2' sections of horizontal. Plus the T, the other 90°, appliance adapter, and termination cap..

2. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

I think I am gonna go with Duravent multi fuel kit. I can't see spending $750 or more on selkirk DT-M. I know it's good stuff and easier install but if I can save $450 it's worth a 2nd hole.

3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I hear ya. I have 2 holes for each of my basement installs (wood eater and pellet furnace).

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

I read somewhere it does both(pellet/corn). If you want to burn other than those two, you have to go to DTM.

5. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

For anyone looking for an affordable yet multi fuel vent kit, duravent pellet vent kit #33100.

6. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Ohh I meant to ask , does the furnace come with an OAK?

Dex, are there requirements on where to install, maybe a certain distance to or from the vent ?

7. mithesaint

mithesaint

I may have missed this, but are you sure the kit will have enough pipe for your needs? I ended up ordering what I needed by the piece, because the kit didn't have nearly enough length for me. I needed a total of 10 feet of pipe, or something like that. A regular kit is great for a through the wall install, but wasn't even close to what I needed for a basement install.

wildwest likes this.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Most kits don't include the "lengths" you need. It comes with all adapters, cap, elbow, brackets, clean out T, and appliance adapter. You need to but the custom lengths you need for the vertical and horizontal.

No, you need to buy a kit, or use the Selkirk DT (DT-M).

As for requirements? What exactly do you mean? For the venting? The venting has its own manual that will tell you how far from a wall/combustible it can be, how high the termination had to be from the ground, and how far it has to stuck out of your house.

9. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

No I meant to install the oak, is there a certain distance it should be away from the vent, should it be close?

10. 343amc

343amc

The manual for my furnace says to terminate the air intake below the exhaust vent and above the snow line. You don't want it getting drifted over in the middle of the night.

The intake for mine is about two feet to the side of the exhaust, and about two feet below the exhaust outlet. As long as you aren't using the OAK as an EGR system, you should be fine. :)

11. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

image.jpg
    This was BEFORE powerwash and leaf cleanup!!
    I was thinking about putting the exhaust and oak in this area, coming out of the concrete will leave me roughly 20"
    Not sure if I should come straight out and terminate or use another 90 elbow and go up a bit. If I terminate straight out, the oak can't be lower cause then it might get covered in snow. This is the side of the house

12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Going to the side is OK as well. As long as it's a foot or further away.

Mine is to the side.

20140324_170758.jpg

13. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Yeah looks like I am going to go through the rim joist for the oak. To the side it is! 3" hole in wood is easier than.....well that's funny.....I don't know the size of the thimble hole I need to drill. Duravent guys, how big of a hole for thimble with 4" pipe?

14. 343amc

343amc

This was how I did mine. OAK is on the left. I used 3" gas vent for the OAK piping.

Attached Files:

15. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

That's looks good, I am trying to see
    In your pic if those are trim plates around the pipes? Doesn't look like a thimble

16. 343amc

343amc

Those are trim plates. I went through a block wall and was farther away than the minimum 1 inch clearance to combustibles, so no thimble. I applied silicone around the pipe where it left the building and put the trim plate over it to make it look prettier. I had to put a window well there as the pipe exits below grade.

17. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Where did you get the trim plates? I like them because they are small.

18. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

My vent is just a plate as well. If going through block, it's a non combustible. No need for a thimble.

I used 3" rigid vent (dryer) for my OAK, and a 3" flex piece to connect to the stove. I went through the rim joist as well for the OAK. Much easier to make a 3" hole in wood than block..

I also used thr same method with the wood stove. Only difference is I didn't cut the excess pipe sticking out from the house. I did the Fahrenheit after the wood stive, and realized I didn't need all that extra. Been meaning to cut majority of that piece off the wood stove OAK, but have yet to do it.

The cap I used is just a cheap vertical gas cap, but I installed it on a horizontal vent, and just bent it on an angle to act as a rain/snow deflector. Gutter guard was used as a rodent screen. Bent into a dome, and a few small screws were strategically placed to secure the screen/gutter gaurd in place.

20140324_170523.jpg 20140324_170611.jpg 20140324_170648.jpg

19. 343amc

343amc

20. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Ahh, I see very smart! I did look twice to see if that was a thimble you used.