In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BHags

BHags

So, I put the new fan downstairs near the stove, waiting for the old one to die. I think the stove knows, because the old fan has been running quietly ever since.

2. imacman

imacman

:rofl: :lol:

3. GHinNH

GHinNH

Probably just needs new bearings.

They generally come with shielded bearings and because of the heat involved the grease quickly runs right out of them, it's kind of amazing they last as long as they do. Now I replace them with Viton sealed bearings and they last much, much longer.

There are 4 pellet stoves scattered around here so I have bearings by the tubefull for all the various motors that use them, bushing motors are normally just cruded up with dust/dog/cat/people hair and need a shot of oil, along with replenishing the felt.

Another common problem is the plastic spacers used to keep the armature centered. They get worn/melted/broken and allow the armature to shift causing all sorts of problems. Sometimes just shimming will fix it, or replacing with some appropriate sized aluminum tube cut to length.

wildwest, BHags, imacman and 3 others like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

BB, I tried again today using a different browser and got in.

imacman, bogieb and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  5. BHags

BHags

I'm handy, but unfortunately not that talented. Replacement is my skill!

6. savemoney

savemoney

I used to be handy, not as much as I should have been, but I got along. Now I have to hire things done or nothing happens.

IHATEPROPANE, wildwest, BHags and 5 others like this.
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I understand all too well.

8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

9. savemoney

savemoney

I really hate to admit that it has come to this, but I am no longer able to lift a bag of pellets up to the top of the stove. I am going to ask my son if he will divide the bag into two pails. He often will load the stove, but he leaves a bag for me to put in when I run out. I've done it, but always regret it after. If I have to, I'll pull the stove and put in a propane unit.

10. bogieb

bogieb

Can you get the 20# bags going forward? I don't think many brands give that option, and not everyone carries them (I've never personally seen them). But in the end, you gotta do what you gotta do.

11. imacman

imacman

How about some sort of large container that your son could also fill before he left........I had this one besides the stove, and had a large scoop to fill the hopper.
    Pellet container.jpg

12. BHags

BHags

I do the same with our kids old toy box. It sits next to the stove and holds 6 bags.

13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

How time flies, Brodie has officially been with us for a whole year. How far we've traveled. From the mischievous pups that chewed everything in site except his toys. To becoming a well mannered boi that just luvs cuddling and kisses. He's grown into one of the bestest pups we could ask for.

Celebrated by sharing a bit of my roast beef grinder and a lil piece of cake rounded off with pup cup. Momma brought him home a new chew toy that we can also play tug(his favorite in the house game) with. So glad this lil pouch is in our lives. Keeps pops from getting bored and is a great nap partner.

Edit: Had to share a pic of the pouch snuggling with his new toy friend!

20240228_094414.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  14. bogieb

bogieb

The pellets were supposed to be delivered Monday. Monday they emailed me that the delivery was postponed until Wednesday (yesterday). I had given them permission to drop off without a signature with directions that clearly stated: Drop onto pallets in yard to left of driveway. Do not drop in driveway.

Wednesdays are my back to back meeting days except early morning and late afternoon. Fortunately, during a meeting where I had had my say, and another gal started talking about the issue (she knows everything, having been there for 30+ years, and is worth listening to), I heard a truck. Looked out the window, yep, its the pellets being delivered. Hmmm, looks like they are going to deliver to the empty trailer next door.

I grabbed my phone (headset only has a 30' range) and booked it out the door. Told the driver where to drop the pellets (on top of the 4 pallets I had set up), and watched him move the truck up to my place. Takes down a ton of pellets and starts to place them to the side of the pallets - WTF. Finally got him to understand they needed to be placed on top of the pallets. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Pellets and ruts after flattening.jpg

That machine tore up the yard because the top 4" is really soft and wet. After I logged out of work I went in my boots and used foot power to slide and stomp most of the stuff into some semblance of flatness. If they had delivered Monday, there wouldn't have been that issue as the ground was still frozen then. Fortunately, as you can tell from the picture, I don't have a showcase lawn so it's fine. Gave me a chance to play in the rain and mud like a kid - LOL

15. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I was playing with one of my tractors on the warmth of Tuesday trying to get a bit ahead of the spring season details. Muck city and slop out there. Managed to get the lil tractor over to the garage asphalt and not tear it up too much. Needed to get the trailer mover installed to move the boat around.

Can't image what a heavy yard lift would have done to the area. Heck the bigger tractor(it's really not that big) would have made a heck of a lot more mess. Glad I haven't clicked the buy button on pellets just yet. The yard lift would have chewed the heck out of the back part of the yard once it was off the driveway. The fresh grass barely got a hold before the winter stuff hit!

Waiting until later today to move the little tractor back. This little cold spurt firmed the yard back up nicely. I might move the bigger one down to the garage area to get more of a jump on the spring things. Got to pull the ballast box off that one and get it ready for the rototiller duty(it will sn* for sure then!!). I might even get the grass cutting tractor to the garage too? Get the deck ready for cutting season. No slacking this year! Like to have all the tools ready for their details this year. Played catch up all last season! Joys of being the home owner woopee!

IHATEPROPANE, Dpopps, imacman and 2 others like this.
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Interesting video.

IHATEPROPANE and bogieb like this.
  17. bogieb

bogieb

If they had delivered yesterday, the yard would have fared much better - it was all solid by morning and stayed solid all day.

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

How quick it went from soggy to solid. It poured just before midnight and was solid by 5 AM. I never messed with the tractors besides moving the one away from the garage. The wind was bitter!! Pups and I didn't do a long walk. Pops whimped out!

19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Wimp.

IHATEPROPANE, imacman and jtakeman like this.
  20. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

And Just like that we be soggy again!

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and imacman like this.