In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstock burn times: Are they underated?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Sep 8, 2023.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:handshake:... would not want any confusion...:whistle:

2. Chaz

Chaz

Confusion??

Only on days that end in y.
    :whistle:

Posting times must be between a minimal amount of caffeine.. and a maximum amount of alcohol.
    :emb::coffee::):pete::doh:

:rofl: :lol:

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

For Future readers... :emb: ... is all I was implying ... :handshake:

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

If that happens again, a moderator can fix it for you.

Chaz, brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  5. fox9988

fox9988

Not sure how much colder your climate is than mine or how well insulated your house is (my house is well insulated and tight). I need 12+ houses burn time. The Keystone works great for me. You may or may not need a bigger stove to deliver your needed burn times/BTUs.

Backwoods Savage and Chaz like this.
  6. Hoytman

Hoytman

Fair enough.

Here in west central to south west Ohio it can get cold.

Thought my indoor/outdoor was broke one night last winter. Nope! Verified IMG_4191.jpeg IMG_4197.jpeg IMG_4196.jpeg

7. BuckeyeFootball

BuckeyeFootball

8. Old Nate

Old Nate

I don't think "Harsh" is too hard a word... they UGLY!!! And I mean all of them! I absolutely hate the look of the IS and AS and all the other soapstone looks don't make any sense to me... Most people have a beautiful Hearth that has brick or stone that grabs the eye and is beautiful, but Woodstock makes these soapstone stoves with the stone on the exterior... it's not a classic look or a modern look... just doesn't do it for me at all! I believe the product is EXCELLENT from the research I've done but I just cant spend all that money on an ugly stove... cant. Then the steel stoves look like something a teenage kid welded together in high school shop.... I know my opinion is just that, my own, but man... bleh. [/QUOTE]

9. Hoytman

Hoytman

If they were inside I wouldn’t be here to tell you about it. :D:rofl: :lol:

First picture shows 68F indoors near an outside wall. The other were taken outside on the garage door across the breezeway, on the brick of the across the breezeway, and on the outside brick of the house. Actually, the picture taken on the outside brick of the garage is not shown.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    Chaz and fox9988 like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Off topic, but when n where was that? I worked in that area for a time and its usually ~10* warmer than NEO...and we didn't have any temps near that cold last winter! :eek:

Chaz likes this.
  11. Hoytman

Hoytman

We had it and it was last winter. West of Dayton and south…on the bottom edge of the transition zone and it’s happened several times in my lifetime.

However, the entire area didn’t receive it, so I figured it must have been a pocket of cold air that moved through and lasted about 6 hours here.

I felt it in the house when it hit because I looked over to see the wall furnace thermometer and it hadn’t moved, but the wife and I both felt a sudden chill. Then I glanced beside my chair at the thermometer in the picture I provided and seen it had suddenly dropped from about -15F if I recall correctly to what you seen in the picture. It was weird, for sure.

Trust me, I questioned it myself, which is why I grabbed my IR gun and went outside. I thought my indoor/outdoor thermometer had broken. Even with the IR gun I still questioned it. We’ve seem temps this low in years past…I plowed snow for the county way back then.

I still wondered if both my thermometer and IR gun were right. Then a guy came into the office that had -31 at his place 3 miles from me on the same night I took those pictures. I snapped those pictures because I knew no one would believe me. When I checked the temp with my IR gun I knew then my equipment was right. I’m pretty sure there’s a forum member here that lives about 6 miles from could confirm it also, but I forget his username here. :headbang: He goes by LogFarmer on another forum.

The proof is in the pictures. I don’t know what else to say.

I live in a low spot with hills on 3 sides of me. I often record temps here that many around me that don’t live in this valley can’t believe. Those of us who do live in this valley know the temps can often be lower than the surrounding area. However, this time, the entire town 2.5 miles north of me recorded the same temperatures as man who lives 3 miles east of town, and the other forum member who lives approximately 6 miles east of town.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    Eckie, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

There's a low spot near Mansfield Ohio, Possum Run Rd, that's often the coldest spot in Ohio during winters low temps, so I know that happens...was just curious the date...you should be able to look up the official low/high from a local airport...or if the tends to be the cold spot in your area, there are probably official recorded thermometers somewhere nearby.

Chaz likes this.
  13. Hoytman

Hoytman

There probably is, and myself and several others have noticed that when this happens here it never gets mentioned n the news, even with modern weather checker stations and people who report temperatures to local news. So I guess that makes it unofficial I suppose, nonetheless I could prove it to them.

Looked for the date. It was Friday, December 23, 2022.

IMG_5534.jpeg

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  14. Old Nate

Old Nate

Do you store that thing in the freezer?!?!? And I'm talking sub zero freezer...

15. Hoytman

Hoytman

:rofl: :lol: Nope. In the house.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  16. Old Nate

Old Nate

I mean... Alaska doesn't get that cold...

17. Highbeam

Highbeam

As a former motorcycle rider in a colder climate trying to stretch out the riding season I can definitely confirm that there are lots of hot and cold pockets of air. Small pockets. Cold ones are usually in low areas protected from wind.

Eckie, Hoytman, Farmchuck and 3 others like this.
  18. Elm-er Fudd

Elm-er Fudd

I would definitely say the burn times are under rated. I had a fire view back in 1991-95 ( sold it with the house and wish I would’ve taken it with me. In ‘91 on the Wednesday night before thanksgiving I stuffed the stove as full as possible at about 10pm, got it burning good and then shut it down as normal. Did not reload the following morning as we were traveling for the holiday. Returned home about 10pm the Monday night after thanksgiving and did not need a match for relight. Raked the coals, scooped out some ash, threw in a few splits and off she went. Some of you may think I’m full of S$&@, but that is the God’s honest truth. I have had similar experiences with other stoves although not that long of timeframe. I think it has to do with the wood. Everywhere I’ve lived the primary firewood has been Siberian elm, which makes lots of coals and lots of ash. My theory is that the ash insulates the coals and keeps them alive for extended periods.

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup! Been there many times...go for a nice fall ride and stay out too long (and don't bring the right clothes to do so) you feel every lil cold spot going down the road!

Chaz, Hoytman, Highbeam and 1 other person like this.
  20. Hoytman

Hoytman

Link didn’t post