In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstock burn times: Are they underated?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Sep 8, 2023.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

The manuals and website say how long each stove will burn. Of course, there are many factors to affect burn times. I’m talking about your average maximum burns on low.

However, it seems I recall reading in the past where some had said the burn times were actually more than what WS states on their website. Can anyone verify this? I want to be certain rather than go from memory…which seems to be getting worse with age. LOL!

Backwoods Savage and Chaz like this.
  2. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Maximum with full load and shut down almost all the way, started on hot coals: 48+ on low (but we were away and didn't need heat) came back and house was in high sixties.
    Normal is about 8-12 hours of good heat and a few more hours of coals for a reload after that.

3. billb3

billb3

Are you buying one ?

4. Hoytman

Hoytman

Been kicking it around for a long time. I’ve been sort of hanging out to see what they come up with next.

I like the Fireview and it probably fits my 1350 sq ft pretty well.

Also like several things about the Absolute Steel, and especially the Ideal Steel…but my biggest hurdle with either of them is they both look so harsh to me for some reason. Maybe “harsh” doesn’t fully describe what I mean. I love that they can design anything you want, but those laser cut edges (maybe they use a water jet) give them such sharp edges and harsh lines…unlike the softness of the castings in the FV & PH stoves. I love the features of the IS though. Maybe the IS, AS, & PH are too big for me anyway.

The FV, PH, & AS are missing one feature of the IS that I want…the ability to open the door to clean the glass. I don’t want to be reaching into a stove, warm or cold, to try and clean the glass. Give me a front door and a side load door and we’re in business. I won’t open the front door except to clean the glass. LOL!

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I have gone over 60 hours on poplar and ash and did not need a match. Raked it out and added wood.
    In an IS STT read 135 so not throwing tons of heat

look up member BDF who has sadly passed he put real life data from thermocouple in graphs and was in similar temperature zone

6. fox9988

fox9988

Underrated for my house/climate/needs. I do a 10 hour burn followed by a 14 hour burn 99% of the winter. I have reloaded on coals after 24 hours several times. Red Oak. But it would be unfair to advertise the Keystone as 24 hr burn times.
    YMMV.

Backwoods Savage, Hoytman and Chaz like this.
  7. Hoytman

Hoytman

It would be real helpful if people would mot only share what WS stove they have, but also share some details of the size of their home, the layout whether an open design or not, and the square feet of space, year of build, etc.

8. Chaz

Chaz

IS here..

House is 28x35 uninsulated cinder block construction. Mostly open floor plan.. stove is in living room.. kitchen open to LR.. hall with bathroom off the kitchen.. bedroom is off the LR with a door I keep closed most of the time.

Small upstairs area.. mostly closed off during winter.. but some heat still makes it up there.. usually in the 50-60 range.

I get a 12-14 hour burn time pretty consistently burning a mix of ash, maple and beech.

Also, I do not load a full load. 1/2 to 3/4 max in the coldest temps. Even low and slow can cook me out of the LR.

LR stays around 80° with other areas in the 70's.. BR stays cooler with door closed.. usually around 60°. I can't sleep well if it's too hot.

9. Hoytman

Hoytman

So you have a Keystone…one of two Woodstock stoves (and the Paladian) with the oddball sized 7” stove pipe outlets.

What size is your home? What temps do you keep your home?

Unfair because of firebox size being smaller?

Backwoods Savage and Chaz like this.
  10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My house is a 20 by 40 post and beam full basement in back and front half is 20 by 20. Fairly open a raised ranch stairs from fist level to 5th level
    Stove is on second level. Levels 3-5 have 16+ ceiling and 2100 square feet

stove/ living room is 80
    Kitchen and dining room 72
    Bedrooms 65

mine I load it full and forget it

in my experience Woodstock tends to over deliver
    Hoytman we had similar discussions 3 plus years ago. You realize they got a 6 month $ back guarantee

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  11. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Plus I believe quite a few more threads...

d1d163de158e9ceaa4dbb78e78931e83f6a07cbf368d90a0e96201115e3ebf4b._UR1920,1080_SX720_FMjpg_.jpg

12. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

1500 sq. ft story and a half. Built in 1927 and maybe no insulation. The IS is along a wall on the first floor. Live in Southeast Michigan.

13. Hoytman

Hoytman

I said earlier that I’m getting older and my memory is going.

Eckie, Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  14. Hoytman

Hoytman

I guess I’ll back on out of here then.

15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You are right about the way the steel stoves are. The soapstone stoves are more like a fine piece of furniture. (They have both laser and water jet.) The IS and AS are both great stoves though but I much prefer soapstone. I also do not like cleaning glass but thankfully that does not need to be done often. I do tend to let it go and by spring it definitely needs cleaning. I also will say I have never cleaned any black crap off the glass. It is only some fly ash that needs cleaning.

As you are no doubt aware, we have had a Fireview for a while. We are just starting into our 17th year with this stove. It is also our only source of heat in winter as we do not have a furnace. I sold the furnace over 40 years ago.

You have probably read about some of our experiences with this stove and I still fondly remember how happy we were immediately when we started using it. We had always struggled keeping the house warm enough before but as soon as we got this stove that problem was solved. It was amazing going from a cold house to what we now have. You no doubt have also read that we keep our home around 80 degrees all winter. And that also is using half or less the amount of wood we used to need.

Woodstock does not over-rate their stoves and they are excellent after the sale. They take care of their customers. I would not look for much new from them for a while not but they are not sleeping either.

As for Canadian border VT, his house is a classic example of a nightmare when it comes to heating with a wood stove! But since he got his new stove he does very well. He also knows the value of dry wood.

Good luck.

brenndatomu, Chaz, Hoytman and 2 others like this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Hoytman you can research this to death. Facts Woodstock tends to over deliver; some other stove companies exaggerate.
    There is XXX BTUs in a pound of dry firewood
    Woodstove burn wood

Regardless of manufacturer there is a limit
    So you are evaluating efficiency, quality and customer service of manufacturers

Eckie, brenndatomu, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  17. fox9988

fox9988

A 7" to 6" adapter came with the stove.
    1536 sqft heated. We keep the house about 70F year around.
    Unfair because it's going to be rare for anyone to keep the house warm for 24 hrs on a Keystone full of wood.

Oldhippie and Chaz like this.
  18. Hoytman

Hoytman

So you’re not recommending a Keystone or Paladian for my 1530 sq ft while expecting the same results as you?

Eckie likes this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I would not try consider any stove with 1.4 cubic foot firebox (keystone ) to heat a house.. not what it’s designed for..

I would not choose a corvette to haul lumber either

Oldhippie and Chaz like this.
  20. Chaz

Chaz

Can't edit original post.. but birch was meant to be beech..
    :emb:

Just goes to show.. I shouldn't post before coffee.
    :coffee: