In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Will the backlog get better?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Any of you have insight as to when backlog (order fulfillment delays) will disappear for equipment? Pickup trucks, equipment, etc? I just contacted a log splitter manufacturer for a kinetic splitter and it's a 4 month backlog. That's a deal killer for me. Down the way, I may change my mind even if it persists and order one but for now, getting one here in April doesn't help, lol. I was close to ready to buy. I wonder if this will ever improve, it's a drag!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Demand will have to slow first. Right now, everything is backlogged, selling at a premium, and the manufacturers are low-key loving it. Nobody has to be competitive in a market like this.

People only put-off necessary purchases for so long. The backlog turns someone off from purchasing immediately, but that demand is still there, and more often than not, gets realized a couple months down the timeline when the patience runs out. Which only fuels the situation. Crazy markets cause most businesses to run a bit more conservatively, anticipating the bubble to burst. They don't invest in people, equipment, and processes to expand capacity, which only pumps up the demand shortage.

Who's on first? :rofl: :lol:

3. Lehman

Lehman

Stihl mtronic harness’ come from somewhere by or in Ukraine and the war has reduced the availability of them so lots more regular carb saws on the shelves as of late.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

4 months, PFFT! That's nothing! We have some pipe on order at work that was out 70 weeks when first ordered!

5. lukem

lukem

70 weeks, PFFT! We are at 100 weeks on electric fork trucks (reach truck).

6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Until the current" powers that be" are no longer the "powers that be", I fear it's going to continually get worse.

Erik B, Haftacut, JD Guy and 12 others like this.
  7. fox9988

fox9988

It’s making the rich richer. They’ll ride it as long as possible.

8. Lehman

Lehman

No it isn’t if ford had the chips to complete all the trucks that are sitting at the race track they would they’re in it to sell as many vehicles as they can. Only ones getting extra rich is the jerks at the dealership tacking 10-25000 market adjustment on. All the other companies would love to sell as much as they can too if they had the parts available.

Backwoods Savage and brenndatomu like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well, they aren't gettin rich either...if they could get inventory they'd sell 100 a month instead of 10...I'm certainly not defending them though.
    Quite a few dealers around here that just sold at MSRP (not that MSRP is any kind of deal...but in comparison...)

10. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

If this is the kinetic splitter manufacturer in MA, I can offer more insight to this. He is around 12 weeks out do to a few factors. I just spoke to him about a week ago.

A: Certain parts he is having trouble getting

B: He has a hard time (like everyone now) keeping reliable help

C: Wood is more popular than ever due to costs of other heating options

His "hard line" is 2 weeks max for customers to wait. The current economy makes that impossible. Manufacturers like Eastonmade are more like 12-18 MONTHS out from what I'm hearing. As was noted by Mr. Overkill, I wouldn't expect this to get any better with the current administration in office.

11. Lehman

Lehman

Funny thing is I looked all over the state of mn and all the explorers that were around to buy most had a market adjustment on them but the local place gave me my x-plan supplier discount on the one they had in stock so msrp - x plan so about rhr best I could come up with. Most dealers won’t even honor the x-plan anymore.

Haftacut and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I could see that I suppose...they are probably a lil more obligated to still honor A and Z plan sales though.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. Lehman

Lehman

Well way it was explained to me the dealer can opt out on the x-plan but once they do they’re done with it. So if and when the supply comes back they can’t start doing it again when they need to start dealing because of competition again. Our dealers up here always have honored it.

Backwoods Savage and brenndatomu like this.
  14. rocrook

rocrook

It is bad when you want a new wood splitter and it is going to take a year to get it.

15. Duane(Pa)

Duane(Pa)

Ahhh, but a sub par POS is readily available at the big box down the street.
    We are becoming a third world country.

16. Lehman

Lehman

Even that can be tough to find sometimes, where my wife works has gone with 3-4 different vendors to get any kind of splitter so they have some to sell over the last 2-3 years.

brenndatomu likes this.
  17. rocrook

rocrook

The big box stores around here does not have any good splitters .What they have are cheap made and that is not what I want or need so I will have to bite the bullet and order a good one and suck it up and wait.

Chud likes this.
  18. Lehman

Lehman

What are you considering a good one? Just wondering the ones where my wife works seem to hold up pretty well and the more expensive ones can be had with a Honda on them. Range from 1300$-2000$ ish and 27 tons to around 37 ton splitting force.

Haftacut likes this.