In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Production Woodstock IS

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by My IS heats my home, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JA600L

JA600L

Oh yeah I had her roaring already. She makes heat alright.

2. burndatwood

burndatwood

Think I initially put the washer on the inside of the door rather than the outside, so the nut didn't rest in the groove in the door. Easy mistake to make. Would be unfortunate to have the handle come off at 600 degrees!

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. burndatwood

burndatwood

That's music to my ears. I was reading a thread from last winter discussing how people were struggling to keep their houses warm, and was getting a little nervous.

4. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Last I heard in an email on Friday was they were cutting the medallions either late Friday or Monday and the stove was on the shop floor being assembled. And yes, a maple leaf.

I decided to go with the heat shield in order to get the double wall stove pipe to work, the setup I had on the old stove had me using a 22.5 deg elbow. I can't get that size in double wall.

5. BrianK

BrianK

We struggled to keep our house warm with our Fireview. There was no struggle whatsoever with our Beta IS. That thing throws a tremendous amount of heat.

6. JA600L

JA600L

It seems like there is a pile of heat dispensed after the fire goes out a well. That is a lot of mass storing heat. It does take some time to get the stove good and hot on a cold start, but I don't plan on letting it burn out when winter hits.

7. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I had a feeling one of you guys that already had your stoves would report something like that. With nearly the entire firebox lined with soapstone I would have thought the same thing, slow to warm and slow to fade.

8. JA600L

JA600L

My Quadra fire could go from hot to cold in an hour. This thing hangs in for hours. I had to open windows the rest of the day after doing a small overnight burn.

9. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Fingers crossed I get a call from WS by wednesday. My schedule goes from 'easy going' to 'what day is it?' again thursday. I'm starting a 12 week project that will have me working 6 days a week in construction and my other job.

burndatwood and Backwoods Savage like this.
  10. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

I never noticed any slow warmups with the stove. The giant door radiates most of the heat and that starts right away. It takes more time for the side panels to start putting out the slow heat from the top but by that time the front glass has been heating the room quite well.

11. BrianK

BrianK

Actually coming from an all soapstone stove like the Fireview, this stove heats up really fast in comparison. The heat comes from the front and top and there is no soapstone to heat up in those areas, just a big glass area and steel, so this thing is fast to throw heat in comparison

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  12. Beet Stix

Beet Stix

I have a general cat stove burn question. I have had 2 small hot fires to take the chill out of the house. I am starting from a cold stove and only throwing on a few splits. How should I handle the back end of these burns? Do you just let the stove go out? Can you slowly open draft back open towards the end to get the stove temp up a bit? How long does the cat stay active as the wood is burning out?

13. JA600L

JA600L

This stove doesn't seem to like small fires. It does very well when loaded. I did an 8 hour burn half full (Junk wood) the other week and after 8 hours I opened the primary up and got a nice flame show. If you want more heat and there is still smoke to burn open it up. The cat probably quits when the wood quits releasing gasses.

My IS heats my home likes this.
  14. JA600L

JA600L

I also like to end a fire with secondary activity to clean the glass.

My IS heats my home likes this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

If the stove is hot enough to engage the cat, we just simply let the stove burn until it is out. There should be no need to change anything on the draft as at that point, there isn't much left. It won't harm the cat either because at that point all the bad stuff has been burned up.

You can open the draft back up if you want but I don't think you'll gain much if anything.

16. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Good stuff, learned a little bit there with the cat question.

So JA, will a low burn with the cat engaged produce a dirty piece of glass?

burndatwood likes this.
  17. JA600L

JA600L

Yes the glass does get fairly dirty. A hot fire usually cleans it up a little.

18. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Of course that dirty glass will be different with different stoves and with different wood too. With the Fireview, we just don't get dirty glass and do not need hot burns to clean it. The only thing we get on the glass is fly ash.

19. BrianK

BrianK

I got some dirty door glass in the Beta IS when I burned low and slow. I'd imagine that would be common in shoulder season

20. JA600L

JA600L

Is everybody else hearing what sounds like a bell ringing during warm up?