In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why buy a new door when all ya need is the glass and divide lites?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Aug 18, 2024 at 3:42 PM.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello

The nice steel side door that goes out to the deck from the kitchen is on the south side and gets sizzled by the sun! Therefore it was only some time about 35 years before the external divide lites got so brittle they broke like a pretzel!! I paid $159.00 for it and to put in a new door with paint and labor is big bucks!! :-(

Thanks to Big Jim’s Home Center on S Main St in Concord NH it was cheap & easy!! They are so knowledgeable too! He said there are 2 sizes and I had the larger one 24 x 38 9 Lite The selection was amazing! The same one with exterior lites $68 or the upgraded with the lites in the glass for $128 or the upgraded for with the lites in Low E glass for $150 which is the one I got. This may keep the kitchen cooler and last longer than 35 years too!! It took about 10 whole mins for my daughter and I to popped this baby in!!
    Buying a new door with paint and labor would have been a lot of money !!!
    Big Jim’s saves Big Doe$$
    Home - Big Jims Home Center Concord NH
    New door at Lowes now $358 with reg glass and external divide lites!
    Link to Lowes exterior steel door

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2024 at 4:46 PM
  2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Great solution!

metalcuttr likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Didn't even know that the windows could be bought separately!
    Good solution if the door is still solid...so often I see them dented, or rusting.
    Wonder what a new door costs these days...last one I put in just had the lil sunburst window in the top, was something like $180, maybe 15 years ago? Probably $400 now... :headbang: