In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

White oak seasoning?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stihl Kicking, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

How long would it take for this round of white oak to season? I'm setting it aside in the 3 year pile, but would 1 year do it, 2 years?

IMG_9935.jpg

2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Hmmm. If it were mine and I left it in the round, 3-4 years. If I halved it, 2 years.

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

To me, it depends on environmental conditions- wind, sun, seasonal RH… that kinda stuff.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Just keep it in the trunk of your car for the summer months. :smoke:

5. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

Hmmm, that's in my ball park, I may have to rethink some of my other rounds though, not many but a few.. :whistle: Sometimes, at the end of the day, and I just want to get the truck unloaded, some of these just go to the stack.

6. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

Missouri, high humidity, 6 hours full sun in the summer, north facing, not the southern wind. 3 years may be on the low side.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The longer the better. Most of the time ill half a round that size. You can burn it after a year as most do, but with oak longer is better...my main reason for disliking it.

However long you do just be sure to finish the beer first...before it gets warm:rofl: :lol:

8. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

This sounds like a great idea, maybe I should use a 9mm to shoot some holes in the bottom and top of the trunk, just for fun and ventilation, after all, the moisture needs to escape. :thumbs:

9. JPDavis

JPDavis

We have Arizona white oak and Gambel oak here and both I'd prefer 3 or more years to season. It just doesn't burn right with any less time.

10. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

The beer was for perspective only, after I finished it.. :rofl: :lol:

11. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

I looked up the Arizona white oak, from poor pictures on the internet, the bark looks similar, but the leaves are very different. There have been interesting responses to this post, pretty much what I expected, but it was good reassurance that I shouldn't let this size round, and definitely not bigger, slide by. Some of these sizes, I will at least tap with my splitter to crack them, and give the moisture an added escape route. By the way, I love Arizona. :yes:

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

To me it depends on what MC you consider it “seasoned”. If under 20, I’d guess 3 years. If below 12-15%, 4 or more.

13. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

I'm new to wood burning, I'm sure under 20 is good, but less is better. I have one more year of long dead wood, then it's into my 3 year stuff. Honestly, the round pictured above is closer to 4 or 5, but I think I better start splitting those, or at least cracking them with the splitter.

14. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I'd bust that in half. White Oak is great firewood, but 3-4 years for splits. Rounds maybe for your kids.

15. Chud

Chud

I know it’s seasoned right when I open the stove doors and the heat from the coals feels like it’s giving my face a 1st degree burn. Chestnut Oak will do it too. If I’m not wearing a shirt it’s almost unbearable.

16. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Like others have suggested, half it
    then I would give it a couple years minimum.

17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

1/2ing it wood probably cut it's drying time in half. :yes:

18. Murphy681

Murphy681

Definitely want to half it to speed it up dramatically. I'm the rebel in the crowd though. I use an OWB, so I can burn almost any wood. I don't worry too much about efficiency, because we have a large farm with trees needing to be cleaned up from storms or death. Our boiler serves as a waste disposal system instead of piling it up to rot.

Happy burning.

19. Eckie

Eckie

I assume with people stating to split this round, the emphasis is because its white oak. If you were to cut a white oak round the size of the can, would you still split, or just leave whole and wait the longer drying time?

If that were red maple, would you split it? Elm? Hackberry? I assume some species are good to go with rounds that size in a non-crazy amount of drying time...

There have been statements about having too hot a fire from splits that are too small. That's the angle I'm asking from....

20. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

That round is right at the point I don't split. I give it the 3 years and burn it. My flue clean-outs tell me what I'm doing is working. Now that I have a better moisture meter, I'll test a round or 2 out next season as I know there's some in my stacks.
    As far as too hot... pinch off the air supply. ;)