In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Went over to help a church member. Potential scrounge? PICS

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by CHeath, Mar 15, 2018.

1. CHeath

CHeath

85E1A671-1CC6-412B-AF10-E9B83175043E.jpeg D500A3AC-15B9-4BFD-B30A-31A83D7B23C2.jpeg 4906D6BE-3630-4D47-929E-904520D3D552.jpeg 85E1A671-1CC6-412B-AF10-E9B83175043E.jpeg D500A3AC-15B9-4BFD-B30A-31A83D7B23C2.jpeg 4906D6BE-3630-4D47-929E-904520D3D552.jpeg So one of our elderly church members lives in the epicenter of 80 foot pine country. I’m surprised her house isn’t ruined by now. So anyone she had 2 medium sized pines fall and I cut them in half and pulled them up into the woods with my ATV. On the way out I saw a pile that looked like pine but as I walked up there it’s not. What do you guys think? It’s some big rounds and im gonna be splitting pretty soon anyhow. Check it out. Maybe a half cord?

Attached Files:

Deacon, milleo, thewoodlands and 10 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    If you don’t grab that OAK, I will come down there and smack your chainsaw throttle hand!!!:rofl: :lol:
    Have you headed back over there yet?:D As in NOW!:thumbs:

milleo, Loon, Mag Craft and 12 others like this.
  3. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

The radial lines running perpendicular to the growth rings (‘rays’) are your clue that it is oak.

milleo, Loon, Mag Craft and 11 others like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I think I'm seeing chestnut oak

5. CHeath

CHeath

Lol I’m going this weekend. It ain’t going anywhere. I know it’s been there for 2 years.

6. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. Oak, oakety, oakey. Are you a-ok with oak?

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Ya ain’t no hawdaw if’n ya don’t like no Oak.... Oakay?:D

milleo, Loon, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  9. CHeath

CHeath

oh my goodness, I got shut down! I called her up and let her know that I removed those 2 EIGHTY FOOT PINES!! and she said "oh my thank you so much" then I asked for the logs and she put the smack down on me lol. Said she was letting them dry for her daughter to burn later on. I'm thinking, ok, they have been here 2 years! LOL! Oh well, the bible says to help widows so I laid up some treasures.

This is the 2nd time this week I've been told no. I'm an insurance agent and I went out to take pictures of some wind damage on a home and the guy had a big honey locust down right smack dab in his back yard. He even mentioned it and said " Ill have to get someone to get that up I guess" then I said, Ill get it up for you free of charge and he replied "LET ME THINK ABOUT IT" I'm like what the crap are you going to think about?????????????????????????????????????

I'm sure these both will be laying there 2 years from now.

Shaking my head.

10. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Sorry to hear about that. I know people are well meaning, but they often get confused on time commitments and do not realize that getting the right motivated person in there would really benefit them.

Good for you on helping out a widow. Either way my Godly brother, rest assured God will meet your wood heating needs.

11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

They won't dry but instead will get bad laying there in the round... I had a nice Oak round laying in the back yard for 2 years.... let a buddy swing the X27 on it, and it exploded into foam consistency pieces....:eek:
    :hair:

Midwinter, Loon, Mag Craft and 4 others like this.
  12. CHeath

CHeath

Well, you can never have enough wood but I'm trying to get on the 3 saw plan AND the 3 year plan. Its tough. Never fear tho, yesterday, the farm guys came down to field next to the house and clear the edges because its time to plant. Well, they cut 2 cherry trees and one large oak and pushed them up into the woods with a bobcat. They lease the land so to me I think its ok for me to go cut that big oak! lol

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Tell them the next time they should push those right to your house!

amateur cutter, Loon, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Your land?

Horkn and CHeath like this.
  15. CHeath

CHeath

no

Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  16. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I am surprised they cut back the wood. Here, the farmers never get off their tractors! It sucks because the limbs from trees, and leaning trees reach way out to grab the extra light, and so soon they move inside the field more. It was not a big deal years ago, but now that tractors have glassed in cabs, for fear of shattering windows, they stay way back. That allows saplings to grow, and now with $30,000 discbines, they are not going to whack off saplings like they did with the older sickle bar older mowers.

I keep meaning to get a photo of this, but in a nearby town there is a pimple in an otherwise rectangular field. 20 Years ago a Popil tree landed in the field and the farmers drove around it. Since then saplings popped up, so they kept going around it. Soon there is this big pimple from the forest jutting out into the field, all because no one pushed back a single rotted tree. naturally the rest of the margins of the fields have grown in as well.

When I took back my farm from leased farmers in 2008, there was 50 feet from the rockwall to the first row of corn, rocks, saplings and trees in between. I did the math on just one field, it being exactly a mile in circumference. Do the math on that and I was losing 7 acres just to saplings and margin encroachment. I was quick in cutting them back and knocking down the limbs with an excavator!

Midwinter and Loon like this.
  17. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Well there is another saying in the bible. You do not muzzle the ox while he is plowing the field.

They should have let you have the wood it will lay there and rot.

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

:yes:

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My farmer/neighbor loves it when I go in and cut back a field for him. He burns wood, but if I push the field back 10 20 feet I get all the firewood, and I make sure I take the the brush hog down and clean it so it's back too perfect for him.

20. CHeath

CHeath

I'm just gonna go get it. If he comes in, fine, Ill let him know how I feel about it. Plus, while he was cutting, I rode my ATV over and said hi. Its not that much, but The big oak is suspended about a foot off the ground from top to trunk. I can fire of some bucks in no time.

Loon and Horkn like this.