In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Well, There Goes My Back

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Grizzly Adam, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I survived the cutting and splitting rush, but twisted my back on a ladder today putting up window plastic. Balls.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

So sorry:(. When my back goes out it seems that if I keep moving it slowly gets better. If I sit down and take it easy it takes forever to get better. I left on a snowmobile ride a few years ago and my back was killing me. A few miles down the trail and the pain was all gone.

gbreda likes this.
  3. thistle

thistle

Better take it easy now for a day or so.Any overdoing when injured could lead to permanent damage.I finally started to slow down a couple years ago.Nothing is so urgent that it needs to be done immediately or all in one day.30+ years of tree work part time & almost that much working construction full time is starting to take its toll on me.

clemsonfor, BrianK, gbreda and 3 others like this.
  4. Gark

Gark

Sorry to hear about the hurt back. Isn't it weird though how sometimes it hangs in there just fine and then with just the least little wrong turn, it goes WHAM.. I hate it when it does that. Take it easy, get well soon.

5. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Hoping it is good to go in the morning, would like to go to work. I am already missing Tuesday and Wednesday for a funeral.

6. foragefarmer

foragefarmer

I tweeked my back on Monday or Tuesday, it was just getting better when wham I felt the muscle pull when I picked something up yesterday. I had to lay down on the floor for a little while. Feels better today but has definitely slowed me down a step or two. Dang improper lifting technique.

7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I hate that ! Sorry Jack a bad back sucks...

8. NW Walker

NW Walker

Dang Jack, sorry to hear that. It's a good reminder for all of us. I have been moving dang stoves around all weekend, just got done shuffling one outside this morning for a test burn, then back indoors for warmth tonight. Up a couple stairs, across loose pavers, etc. I can feel it in my back, I gotta slow down. I'm going to take a cue from you and stop doing this stuff alone. Heal up quick man.

Grizzly Adam likes this.
  9. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

It's TV and a heating pad the rest of the night, just need to relax.

10. Locust Post

Locust Post

Mine's just coming around Jack...sorry to hear you have a sore one now. If it's low back the doc told me many years ago that walking helps, so I get out and do a couple miles now when I get it. Also I get much more benefit out of cold vs hot. (biofreeze)

Jack Straw likes this.
  11. savemoney

savemoney

Right on the cold first (48 hrs. ) Reduce the swelling. Rest while you can.

12. Certified106

Certified106

I have some major lower back issues. Spent over three weeks laying on my living room floor at one point so I know it sucks! Definitely ice it 20 minutes on and 60 minutes off. If you go longer than 20 on you can cause more damage. If it is really bad muscle spasms go ge some muscle relaxers. I used to tough it out meaning I would spend three weeks recovering, now when I feel it hit I get a muscle relaxer and get off of it for 24 hours and my recovery is usually days instead of weeks. Good luck and hang in there.

13. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Take it easy bro, cold for swelling, heat for pain.

WeldrDave likes this.
  14. fishingpol

fishingpol

Get a good rest Jack.

A few weeks ago my co-worker was out for the day. I had to move an awkward item myself which I was not looking forward to. I never use a back support, but being alone I felt it was a choice. The support was a "medium" in size, and I don't take a medium. I sucked in my gut and strapped that thing on with the velcro barely catching. I felt like an overstuffed sausage about to blow out, but it did help. I'm glad no one saw me.

15. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

It's in the thoracic, pretty severe pain with every slight movement. I keep waking myself up. Meh.

16. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Thats stinks. Good luck on recovery, take it easy...

17. gbreda

gbreda

Really tough when your back goes out. For me, both of these can work depending on what was injured. Minor and slow stretching helps at first. Then sometimes a bike ride (pedal not m/c) does the trick if its summertime: especially if I have good sunshine beating on it while its stretching from the ride. Sometimes its rest then slow moving and slow stretching.

Anyway, it really is the "wrong move" that gets ya. Lately if I am clearing snow in the driveway and slip on ice, its usually the "catching myself" that puts my back out. Starting to think that I am better of just falling.

Good luck and hope it gets better quick!

18. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Still icing and heating, I am missing out on a twelve hour shift today at two bucks over my usual wage :/

Just used my roller, but I couldn't put much weight on it.

19. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Well I thought I was out of the woods and was doing some light work siting down and scraping old glazing off of storm windows for repurposing as double panes when out of nowhere my back goes into full blown spasm. Felt like I had been stabbed, the old lady thought I had inhaled a piece of glass because I was gasping, but. Every breath made it worse. Still in spasm but not as bad.

20. papadave

papadave

Stop typing.
    It's obviously making it worse.
    Go see a doc Jack.:confused: