In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Weed wacker attachment

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Easy Livin' 3000, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Looking at the plastic and metal aftermarket flail heads to improve the performance of my string trimmer on heavier stuff for a trail clearing project. Any opinions or suggestions? Its a 27 cc Craftsman.

2. Horkn

Horkn

Tagging along... I need something more substantial for clearing tall thistles.

Years ago I used a Stihl carbide tipped circular blade on a Stihl trimmer. That would cut down decent sized saplings.

I see those chainsaw chain attachments for string trimmers. I wonder if those really work?

3. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

I have a Honda 35 cc four stroke trimmer. I bought the Stihl head with the 3 poly blades. They are ok but break easily. I laser cut new ones from 46177 armor plate and sharpened the edges. One bad mofo! Never even nicked a blade. I probably made 20 sets but gave them away after only needing 1 set. I tried stainless also but they bend really easily. If you have somebody in the business have them make you some. I also cut several holes in the interior to lighten the spinning mass.

4. ironpony

ironpony

Stainless steel fishing hook leaders.

5. Yawner

Yawner

Hmmm... interesting... you ever done that? Any install tips?

6. Erik B

Erik B

I have a Stihl FS110 and I just bought a brush knife for it. I already have the string trimmer, poly flail head, and circular saw blade. I have used my poly head for heavy grass and weeds in the past but i thought the brush knife would work better, I will find out in a few weeks.

7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Interested as well....

Horkn, Chvymn99, In the Pines and 2 others like this.
  8. XXL

XXL

I have had good results from the Stihl grass blades in the thick grasses even up to 1"+ brush on my 94R. Can you mount one of these to your craftsman?

[​IMG]

Here is a before and after from a neighbours yard a few years ago using the grass blade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

That's good work, XXL. I'll check it out to see if it will fit.

Horkn, XXL, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Flamestead

Flamestead

9CEDDF40-B475-4F68-A758-C93AC0023B10.jpeg
    This is what I’ve used recently. The top row goes on my Stihl FS110, and the bottom row on the bigger Husqvarna. The poly blades are not what I hoped for, for my type of use. The triangle blades are great, but the Stihl is getting tired and will stall anytime I hit something solid (rock). The Stihl saw blade will bounce off rocks better, but isn’t as good with grass in the mix of what you are cutting.

Easy Livin' 3000 and Horkn like this.